Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
ODS123

Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Deang said:

I prefer linear room treatments.

If you think anything in this world is linear, your resolution is not high enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

 

You know what the difference is? You don't see (most) others on this forum pushing their opinions as the gospel of Jesus Christ himself.

 

I don't care what your (or anyone else for that matter) credentials are. I trust my ears as to what sounds good.

 

I was listening to "March of the Toy  Drums" on my Kenner close n play in the  mid-60s. Been immersed in music ever since. Don't you dare challenge my credentials.........

 

Shakey

 

That's ridiculous.  ..You express no less self-certainty in your beliefs than do I.  From you, and most of the others in this thread, it's "I know the differences exist because I hear them.." and from me it's "you may believe you hear differences but are they real or just imagined?"  

 

We are both just as self confident in our positions.  ..But one big differences b/w the two, aside from the obvious, is that I attempt to provide to beginners some degree of scientific rigor to support my advice.  Advice which is basic, pragmatic, and affordable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

 

You know what the difference is? You don't see (most) others on this forum pushing their opinions as the gospel of Jesus Christ himself.

 

I don't care what your (or anyone else for that matter) credentials are. I trust my ears as to what sounds good.

 

I was listening to "March of the Toy  Drums" on my Kenner close n play in the  mid-60s. Been immersed in music ever since. Don't you dare challenge my credentials.........

 

Shakey

Do you think we could hear the difference between your Close N' Play and my Show N' Tell??

I just have to see if I can get one back from Ebay.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My inclination is almost always to listen more to those that suggest based on experience, and don’t make hard and fast rules to follow based on third party sources that may or may not be questionable.  There are many folks posting on this thread that are DIY inclined.  They have done the homework with the goal of better sound in mind, and have gone through the effort and expense to attain that goal.  Opening up boxes and putting components in a system, and then quoting a third party to justify these choices is just not in the same league, no matter what third party sources are quoted.  I will always listen to the advice of someone who has carefully and thoughtfully applied the experimental method over someone who bases what they posit on a third party.  Always. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I was listening to "March of the Toy  Drums" on my Kenner close n play in the  mid-60s. Been immersed in music ever since. Don't you dare challenge my credentials...

 

Obviously no room treatments. Problematic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tizman said:

...  I will always listen to the advice of someone who has carefully and thoughtfully applied the experimentational method over someone who bases what they posit on a third party.  Always. 

 

I thoughtfully apply the experiential method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ODS123 said:

We are both just as self confident in our positions.  ..But one big differences b/w the two, aside from the obvious, is that I attempt to provide to beginners some degree of scientific rigor to support my advice.  Advice which is basic, pragmatic, and affordable.

 So please describe your recommended beginner's basic, pragmatic, and affordable system components. If I were looking what should I buy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dave A said:

 So please describe your recommended beginner's basic, pragmatic, and affordable system components. If I were looking what should I buy?

 

=== I say this with all honesty. Good enough for “most” people would be a mid-grade AV integrated/receiver, a Bose surround type system with a sub, done. Or, and I recently heard this setup, a Sonos system - sound bar, satellite Alexa speakers and a sub. Music all over your house, garage etc. My step son, who loves my Klipsch gear and has small Klipsch RP bookshelves and a Mc amp just bought the above Sonos gear, it sounds remarkably good. We went looking for a Klipsch equivalent and they offer nothing that compares. Sonos is light years ahead in this market. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup starting for me was an Onkyo 8050 and an $800.00 La Scala. Whole shooting match for $1,000.00 and I was in heaven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, richieb said:

 

=== . My step son, who loves my Klipsch gear and has small Klipsch RP bookshelves and a Mc amp just bought the above Sonos gear, it sounds remarkably good.

 

 

Yes, it does.  And when buying a sonos setup people aren't apt to hear nonsense from a salesperson about costly speaker cables, power cords/conditioners, and amps that have a magical topology.  ..Or told to give the speakers and/or amp hundreds of hours of break-in time before any "critical listening".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ODS123 is consistent at least.  Onward to 100 pages!  

 

Advice to beginners:  “Buy whatever.  It all sounds the same anyway”.

 

Just ask ODS123.  He has been upgrading for years now, not because he thinks some components sound better than others, but because he likes opening boxes.  It’s fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tizman said:

ODS123 is consistent at least.  Onward to 100 pages!  

 

Advice to beginners:  “Buy whatever.  It all sounds the same anyway”.

 

Just ask ODS123.  He has been upgrading for years now, not because he thinks some components sound better than others, but because he likes opening boxes.  It’s fun.

 

Strawman Alert!  ..No one, not me nor anyone else has said "Buy whatever. It all sounds the same anyway."  Yet you continue to attribute this to me.

 

Your strategy is pretty clear:  It's way easier to assail the words you put in my mouth than those that actually came out of it.

 

As for the other remark regarding boxes... utterly unintelligible.  No idea what you're trying to say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

 

Yes, it does.  And when buying a sonos setup people aren't apt to hear nonsense from a salesperson about costly speaker cables, power cords/conditioners, and amps that have a magical topology.  ..Or told to give the speakers and/or amp hundreds of hours of break-in time before any "critical listening".

 

=== you’re right, the salesman said nothing to him about cables, conditioners and lengthy break-in time. BUT I reminded him of how good my Jubes sound on the receiving end of several thousand $$$ worth of Pass amps/pre and quality cables. All well broken in — just sayin’.

As they say - proof is in the pudding — 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, richieb said:

 

=== you’re right, the salesman said nothing to him about cables, conditioners and lengthy break-in time. BUT I reminded him of how good my Jubes sound on the receiving end of several thousand $$$ worth of Pass amps/pre and quality cables. All well broken in — just sayin’.

As they say - proof is in the pudding — 

 

okay... and how good would those Jubes sound w/ non-Pass amps (say, Onkyo AVR) and generic cables??  ..Probably just as good.  - just sayin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DEFLECT ALERT!     So why are you not telling us your recommended beginner's basic, pragmatic, and affordable system components?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find earplugs help make everything sound the same too.  Except for interconnects.  I can hear the difference between interconnects with earplugs in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, richieb said:

 

===. BUT I reminded him of how good my Jubes sound on the receiving end of several thousand $$$ worth of Pass amps/pre and quality cables. All well broken in — just sayin’.

As they say - proof is in the pudding — 

 

And how good would your Jubes sound with NON Pass amps/pre and quality cables??  ..Well, RC's $10K Amplifier challenge and the Guadalajara Audio Club A/B test suggests.. about the same.  ..just sayin'.

As they say - proof is in the pudding (once a modicum of science is applied and biases are reduced/eliminated).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...