best way to judge a new Tube Amp

joessportster

How do you go about Judging the merits or not on a new to you Tube Amp ?

Personally in the past I would listen to what I called reference music tracks but hearing is getting worse and using music like that led to a distaste for those tracks as concentrating on every detail made me loose sight of the goal   MUSIC ENJOYMENT

Its hard to get away from that critical listening thing

11 minutes ago, joessportster said:

How do you go about Judging the merits or not on a new to you Tube Amp ?

Personally in the past I would listen to what I called reference music tracks but hearing is getting worse and using music like that led to a distaste for those tracks as concentrating on every detail made me loose sight of the goal   MUSIC ENJOYMENT

Its hard to get away from that critical listening thing

I look and read all the reviews I can first (take with a grain of salt) and then try to setup a critical listening session. Prefer to do this with Klipsch or other efficient speakers.

Wb

Yes that would be a good process, But what about an amp you pick up based solely on circuit, / Tube type and a builder with good feedback.  No real research available other than on others amps using the circuit and there views on the sound.

Point behind this

I have heard a couple Darling Circuit amps and Liked the results, Found a  guy building  a beefed up Darling using a quad of the 1626. His feedback is stellar so I gave it a shot. The amp is in the house and playing for the past 8 hours with a 30 minute break to swap Pre-amps

So far I hear things I like....................Diana Krall is calling.......................More to come

57 minutes ago, Schu said:

I think it's unnatural to not make comparisons between elements that are being changed in an out.

Comparisons are a must otherwise why bother ?

I am finding the Darling is more technical not to the point of being analytical but certainly more technical than most tube amps I have heard which equals A LOT.  It is also very revealing of layers in the music. Mark Knopfler Six Blade Knife off Dire Straits self titled album. His faint guitar strokes almost like he barely touched the strings is much more evident as an intention you can make out the melody, I also picked up on his vocal inflections, voice breaking up much more clearly Obvious passages of intensity.  Ryan Adams Jacksonville City Lights, September  near the beginning of the track someone lights a lighter. The amp pulls things closer to the front. Jennifer Warrens Famous Blue Raincoat, Track 2, Her male back up singers are much more evident as back up vocals (un-noticed before). The amp seems to go right up tight to the technically correct while remaining mostly musical. Hard Balance to strike. The challenge is to see if it can maintain or will it seem to Technical over time and become fatiguing almost 10 hours in. Going to have to give it a break soon The Boys will be up early for Christmas

I prefer long term listening in my system and room. A few of the things I look for:

Does the new component connect me with the music I love - the soul of the music?

Am I listening to more/less/same amount of music?

Does the new component get my toes tapping? Does it get the "boogie factor" right?

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Joe, didn't you have a Darling amp years back?  I seem to recall that you did (but it could just be a figment of my old brain!).  Can you post a link to the amp that you just bought?

There are many ways to judge performance of amplifiers.  Personally, I listen for certain cues/details (using various tracks) which allow me to determine the operating parameters.  I can do this very quickly as a product of being involved in audio for so many years.  In the shop there wasn't time to do extended listening after doing repairs, so judgments had to be made in a short amount of time.  

From a consumer viewpoint, it should just be a matter of whether you find the sound so pleasing that you don't want to stop listening.  If that's the case, I would say that you are satisfied.  Keep in mind though that your impressions will vary with your psychological state (trying to listen after your wife slugs you with a frying pan may prove frustrating 😁).

Maynard 

8 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

From a consumer viewpoint, it should just be a matter of whether you find the sound so pleasing that you don't want to stop listening.  If that's the case, I would say that you are satisfied.  Keep in mind though that your impressions will vary with your psychological state (trying to listen after your wife slugs you with a frying pan may prove frustrating 😁).

Maynard 

Usually that'll happen after the purchase, if it happens at all. 😊

Wb

8 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Joe, didn't you have a Darling amp years back?  I seem to recall that you did (but it could just be a figment of my old brain!).  Can you post a link to the amp that you just bought?

There are many ways to judge performance of amplifiers.  Personally, I listen for certain cues/details (using various tracks) which allow me to determine the operating parameters.  I can do this very quickly as a product of being involved in audio for so many years.  In the shop there wasn't time to do extended listening after doing repairs, so judgments had to be made in a short amount of time.  

Maynard 

hey Maynard Merry Christmas,  Love the frying pan line. Below is the amp

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-1626-PSE-Parallel-Single-Ended-Darling2-tube-amplifier/292864400989?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

13 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Usually that'll happen after the purchase, if it happens at all. 😊

Wb

All true, as well, very hard to enjoy the listening experience, if you are being hit with a frying pan while you are trying to listen to your new gear..😀

• Haha 1

My "reference amp" of 9 years was a Latino ST-120 which I had to pull out of the system recently for upgrades/repairs. It is an ultra linear design switchable to single ended also. I had a pair of Decware el-84 amps I had built years ago that I put in its place. I obviously lost some volume and dynamics, going from 60 watts/ channel down to 5 watts. But I noticed a different presentation. Not necessarily better or worse. I did notice a bit more rolloff on the high end, and the bass wasn't as deep.

Not here is where it gets interesting. On a whim I picked up a new Inspire amp by Dennis Had. Its output is only around 10 watts or so, and is single ended. I've been listening to this amp for a few weeks now, and it is nothing short of spectacular! It does everything right, from shimmering highs to solid lows. I even quit using my subwoofers with the system because it was so balanced. I guess my point is that different types of amps do sound different, and when you find one that suits your musical tastes, you'll know. I'll be re-introducing the Latino amp into the system soon, but I already know which one I will prefer.

• Like 1

I am trying a new wrinkle NO Pre-amp source plugged Directly into  the Input on my Marchand XM9 crossover, Output high side to the Oris / Lowther,  Output Low side to the Crown XLS1002

Both amps have onboard Volume / Gain Control. So now only hearing the crossover and amps

Like it so far though it is an up & down SEVERAL times to try and get things balanced between highs and lows, But so far it is easily as Good as using a pre and though  I know I am only fooling myself I feel like I get a better Picture of the amps sound signature

I foolishly thought if I set up my Decibel meter and got the bass to 90 Db mark that spot on Volume control, then do the same with high end it would be balanced right both at 90 db must be the case................WRONG............ the high was WAY WAY overpowering

I love admitting im an A$$ in my thinking or would that be a lack of Thinking ???????????

10 hours ago, kevinmi said:

My "reference amp" of 9 years was a Latino ST-120 which I had to pull out of the system recently for upgrades/repairs. It is an ultra linear design switchable to single ended also. I had a pair of Decware el-84 amps I had built years ago that I put in its place. I obviously lost some volume and dynamics, going from 60 watts/ channel down to 5 watts. But I noticed a different presentation. Not necessarily better or worse. I did notice a bit more rolloff on the high end, and the bass wasn't as deep.

Not here is where it gets interesting. On a whim I picked up a new Inspire amp by Dennis Had. Its output is only around 10 watts or so, and is single ended. I've been listening to this amp for a few weeks now, and it is nothing short of spectacular! It does everything right, from shimmering highs to solid lows. I even quit using my subwoofers with the system because it was so balanced. I guess my point is that different types of amps do sound different, and when you find one that suits your musical tastes, you'll know. I'll be re-introducing the Latino amp into the system soon, but I already know which one I will prefer.

I have a Decware taboo- EL84 based 5 WPC and it sounds great on the oris/lowther...........................Though I think the Darling is better, I have a Decware Rachael on the way EL34 wired up as Triode I have high expectations for that gem.........................I came close to an Inspire just did not have the $$ to complete at the time, still on my list to try though. Heard only good things and no one can question Dennis abilities with tubes

That is one interesting looking amp. Looks like it should sound great, but I'm not familiar with the output tubes. Over the years I've tried bi-amping and even tri-amping my system, but I could never get the system to sound as integrated as using a single amp and preamp combo. I was always playing with the gains to try to get the perfect sound until it drove me crazy!