Diet

Bosco-d-gama

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Been sittin here reading but after this morning I'm starting to wonder where that Weight Watchers pay up" cup is.  Back to the grind I guess.  lol

Just as an FYI--------------If you hate to cook, ketogenic/low carb is the easiest way to eat. I really have a NARROW shopping list. Meat, chicken thighs, eggs, butter, cheese, Ezekial 4:19 bread, and fresh berries.

I cook up 6 chicken thighs a week in the toaster oven - takes one hour total. I bag (4) 1/4 pound patties of 85% ground beef into the freezer. I cut a large steak into 4 oz pieces. What's left to cook? Fried eggs, a plain burger (no buns!), a piece of steak. No need for messing with salads, vegetables, potatoes, pasta, noodles. etc. Eat one or two meals a day of this food and you will lose weight fast, feel strong, not hungry, and you will be protecting your liver and feeding your gut biome. All positive, hardly any work.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2019 at 9:51 AM, Bosco-d-gama said:

So, if you want an excuse not to diet just tell yourself and others that you do not want to contribute to global warming.🤓

Every time I see this guys name it reminds me of discussions we had here on the open forum and ironically we couldn't discuss given the misinformation being given at the time.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:18 AM, dtel said:

...The batteries in my scale died toward the end of the year, I haven't replaced them yet, I know it's going to lie to me.  true story

I've enjoyed the latest discussions on this thread so I went back to the first page to see how it started...

Ha! I also have a personal true story: lightening struck a tree close to our house and we lost our DirectTv, AVR, and our rear Klipsch RSW-15 sub. It happened the evening of the 2004 Election and I hadta think it was a message from God that I spent too much time following current events on TV--we haven't gotten cable or renewed since. Lol! {Note: It also could've been a sign that I was spending too much time on the Klipsch Forum given how they handled repairing my RSW amp, but Amy smoothed that over.}

On 1/10/2019 at 10:56 AM, dtel said:
On 1/10/2019 at 10:24 AM, babadono said:

When losing weight you lose carbon into the atmosphere? Or better yet when you exhale?  Don't tell Al Gore.

If he would only not exhale, but then we would have never gotten the Internet.

Okay. Now THIS was funny, but...

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Yup, about what I've been doing lately.  Funny how all the fast food places are trying to shit to plant-based garbage.  Ppl will buy it though and think it's great!  lol

Fwiw, I still eat meat and dairy products but a vegetarian friend whom I respect clued me into the suffering of animals in the food chain and it gave me a different view of what and how we consume nutrients 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

I think Phama would love nothing better than to normalize being obese. 

trans fats + hydrogenated  foods and HF  sugar , obesity now starts  in children with fast food  ,  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I still eat meat and dairy products but a vegetarian friend whom I respect clued me into the suffering of animals in the food chain and it gave me a different view of what and how we consume nutrients 

So true about animal cruelty. I am sensitive to that (I belong to PETA). But, I am also a believer in Nature, and humans are omnivores. We need complete protein and saturated fat to remain in good health and that certainly implies animal protein and fat. I support (with purchasing) humane, grass fed beef and free-range chicken. I am not naive, I know it's hard to KNOW how they were actually raised, but we do try. I would love to see those huge feeding lots for beef and pork outlawed, but I won't hold my breath.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

BTW, I mentioned this book before. I got my copy a few days ago and it is FANTASTIC. It really fills in ALL the angles and he tackles food and pharma head-on no punches pulled. No affiliation, but I am a fan of Lustig. He's been the anti-sugar guy for 10 years.

book.jpg.cd1ecf53cbf37265b3957ccdd72d17ab.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up on this book, Mark. Gonna check it out.

A "healthy" diet is one thing, and a diet to lose weight is another.  

Bottom line (I think) is to count calories.  Limit yourself to 1,500 calories per day and walk for an hour a day.  Do that, and you will lose weight at a healthy pace - about 2 pounds per week.  Worked for me, and Fridays were "cheat days" during which I ate anything I wanted as much as I wanted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

A "healthy" diet is one thing, and a diet to lose weight is another.  

Bottom line (I think) is to count calories.  Limit yourself to 1,500 calories per day and walk for an hour a day.  Do that, and you will lose weight at a healthy pace - about 2 pounds per week.  Worked for me, and Fridays were "cheat days" during which I ate anything I wanted as much as I wanted.

That works for a lot of people, for sure. Some, however, go back to much higher calories when the "diet is over" - -after they lose X pounds. The hazard is they may gain it all back.

Alternatively, if you make a PERMANENT change to how you eat, and you eat a Ketogenic diet, you really don't have to count calories much. And you will lose weight very fast down to your "natural weight," which will be a BMI of about 20-24.

Eating meat and fat allows the organs to immediately signal the brain when you are "Full". The satiety signal works perfectly with protein and fat. It works much less well with carbohydrates which overwhelm the signaling system. And once you stay in the Keto mode, you won't get hungry between meals. You can easily go 24 hours between meals. 

The DOWN side is that for many people adjusting to Keto is very difficult. For some it is impossible.

Anyway, just a thought.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

That works for a lot of people, for sure. Some, however, go back to much higher calories when the "diet is over" - -after they lose X pounds. The hazard is they may gain it all back.

Alternatively, if you make a PERMANENT change to how you eat, and you eat a Ketogenic diet, you really don't have to count calories much. And you will lose weight very fast down to your "natural weight," which will be a BMI of about 20-24.

Eating meat and fat allows the organs to immediately signal the brain when you are "Full". The satiety signal works perfectly with protein and fat. It works much less well with carbohydrates which overwhelm the signaling system. And once you stay in the Keto mode, you won't get hungry between meals. You can easily go 24 hours between meals. 

The DOWN side is that for many people adjusting to Keto is very difficult. For some it is impossible.

Anyway, just a thought.

Do you eat fruits and vegetables?

Another thing is to not eat in between meals. We are constantly led to believe that we must snack. Snacks bring in more money.

You have to give your digestive system time to rest and recover ESPECIALLY when you're older. Our bodies aren't as efficient as they were when we're were younger. Eating healthy food also makes this possible. Junk/processed food does not.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 6:57 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

Do you eat fruits and vegetables?

I really don't bother much with vegetables. Although I sometimes eat Brussels sprouts. As to fruit, I only eat blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries for their anti-oxidant and good fiber properties. No other fruit, or fruit juice.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but I only eat Ezekial 4:19 bread - maybe one slice a day.

Stay Well People - and remember: Karbs Kill!

• Like 2

Give fruit the boot....

Calories in = calories out...stable weight

Calories in > calories out....weight gain

Calories in < calories out ....weight loss

Sorry but that is not the whole story. A calorie is not a calorie is not a calorie. It depends on other biological things that are going on in your body especially your insulin levels and how insulin resistant you have become.

Animals and our ancestors ate fruit when it was naturally ripe in summer and fall to gain weight for the winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Give fruit the boot....

Calories in = calories out...stable weight

Calories in > calories out....weight gain

Calories in < calories out ....weight loss

Sorry but that is not the whole story. A calorie is not a calorie is not a calorie. It depends on other biological things that are going on in your body especially your insulin levels and how insulin resistant you have become.

Animals and our ancestors ate fruit when it was naturally ripe in summer and fall to gain weight for the winter.

Bravo! "Calories" in food are measure by putting the food in a bomb calorimiter and burning it to measure heat output. But calories put in your digestive system interact with dozens of chemical processes in the liver and pancreas and intestines and many of those functions are "interrupted or spun out of control" by various food content - like SUGAR. 200 calories of sugar creates bodily chaos compared to 200 calories of beef. Etc.

• Like 2