Diet

Bosco-d-gama

Knock on wood...I'm on nothing at 68...

And "eat no salt" ..there is another absolute BS doctor non sense..you have high blood pressure because you have low/bad electrolyte balance in your body. You need potassium..a lot of it

• Like 2

I should add a couple of other things.....

Alcohol is 100% bad news...

The latest book by the reknown professor Dr. Lustig is out. It is called "Metabolic." It will probably become the "bible" for millions of people trying to regain their health. We just got it, but I';m letting wife read it first, since she has needed a bit more convincing about the horrors of SUGAR!

Cheers guys!

Mark

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

*Metabolic disorders are killing the country because the food industry is creating unhealthful food.

well... Bayer/Monsanto

One makes nasty seeds and the other sells a remedy, so you can continue to eat the nasty food grown from those seeds...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, babadono said:

Knock on wood...I'm on nothing at 68...

And "eat no salt" ..there is another absolute BS doctor non sense..you have high blood pressure because you have low/bad electrolyte balance in your body. You need potassium..a lot of it

Right! The human body is absolutely rigorous in its biological system of salt regulation. Eat salt, your body knows what to do!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, babadono said:

yes I was born with it too....but 30 to 40 years of lowfat/high fiber diet took it away.

Oh that reminds me....Toss all that Low Fat nonsense out the window - - 1970s propaganda posing as science. The body MUST HAVE saturated fat to live. Seed Oil is the most dangerous food in the grocery after sugar. EAT FAT TO GROW THIN AND HEALTHY!

• Like 2

I'm not on any prescription drugs, and other than having occasional beers while on the present vacation, stopped drinking a year ago. Weight has failed at 135. So at 74 I feel really good. BP is usually about 117/75.  Wife is a different story, hypertension runs in her family. Her BP has been high. Now on BP meds and statins. Before long I have no doubt they will tell her she has diabetes. I don't like it, she doesn't like it but she listens to her doctor.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

I have also been on a crusade to eliminate pharmaceuticals. Over the time since I turned 65, my doctors (pill pushers) have slowly gotten me onto the pharma gravy train. First it was anti-GIRD medication, then medication for arthritis, then of course high blood pressure and then Statins. I've spent my life being a compliant patient. "Gee, if doc says I need that, I better take it." No more!

As I improved my eating plan, I slowly began to eliminate medications. Every time I got off one, I felt better. Eventually, I eliminated 6 meds and I am not down to ONE, and I hope to titrate that down and eliminate it soon.

Along that journey, I discovered that the GIRD was easily eliminated by eating right. I discovered that statins were being described to half the country now because the CDC, and NIH, and the medical-pharma-regulatory-complex is operating on faulty 1970 science which assumes "cholesterol cause heart disease". 100% bogus science brought to the USDA by the huckster Ancel Keys, who sold the US government on FRAUDULENT science he had performed. Cholesterol and triglicerides have almost nothing to do with cardio disease. Except in the rare cases where someone has a very high number of apo-B particles in the blood. Rare. Everyone else is on the Statin Gravy Train.

And so on it goes....

Fantastic. 😀

Seems Doctors believe in " better living thru chemicals"

I am familiar with only one that had other beliefs, and she no longer is in practice due to New York State. 🤬

• Like 1

Doctors are often sincere and try to help, but they are totally ignorant of nutritional science. There is about 1 hour of schooling in medical school to cover nutrition, and once they enter residency, the senior Docs tell them to ignore nutrition and get down to treating with drugs and procedures. Our Western medical system is the allopathic system: Use chemicals to treat symptoms. Rarely do drugs cure the underlying disease. The best example of that is diabetes. Injecting insulin lowers spiking blood sugar but does nothing to cure the reason blood sugar is spiking which is "insulin resistance" and fatty liver disease from eating far too many carbs and too much sugar.

About ten years ago, when my weight had gotten quite high, and I was eating tons of processed food, my A1C jumped to about 6.1 - referred to as "pre-diabetes." A very good doc I was seeing simply prescribed Metformin and said absolutely nothing, zilch, nada, about my weight or my diet! That's typical, and it's insanely ignorant. All I had to do is change my food intake and reduce my weight (which I eventually learned how to do).

I think it was Aristotle who said, "Food is medicine, and medicine is food."

From a cultural POV, society is awash in the promotion of "industrially processed food," which jams the grocery aisles. All carbs, no fiber, and tons of added sugars. And because they scientifically manipulate the flavors and sensations of the food, it becomes addictive. Hell, who doesn't like the taste of that stuff? Industrial food is one of our core industries, right along with - not coincidentally - pharmaceuticals and health care.

Dave? How ya doing?

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2023 at 2:48 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

Off to the pool hall with  bestie. Check back with you guys tomorrow!

Cheers.

Ha! 😁 I visit the place when I get bored, although for 15 years or so seemed to be here constantly having interesting conversations with friends. Glad to see you are doing well and still contemplating life.

On 7/25/2023 at 2:22 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

Hi Dave,,,

Well, don't say you didn't ask for it!! LOL

Uh-oh... 😎

On 7/25/2023 at 2:35 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

I have also been on a crusade to eliminate pharmaceuticals. Over the time since I turned 65, my doctors (pill pushers) have slowly gotten me onto the pharma gravy train. First it was anti-GIRD medication, then medication for arthritis, then of course high blood pressure and then Statins. I've spent my life being a compliant patient. "Gee, if doc says I need that, I better take it." No more!

As I improved my eating plan, I slowly began to eliminate medications.

I really think diet and exercise is the key to not taking so many drugs and agree with you about alcohol. Some of the other things I'd like to debate and discuss, but life's too short and I'm trying to get friends and family to consider other religious and political opinions on Facebook...Lol and gotta admit having as much success there as I did here, so yet one more reason not to engage.

• Like 2

Oh Imma a reading and smirkin just a tad.  Thing with me is I've always looked for that "easy" fix for diabetics. 

Youngest daughter was a baller while in college and at 28 she's still rock  solid.  Drops a 5k and just breaks a sweat and I look at a quarter mile oval here in the hood knowing I wouldn't make it 50 yards. 

The past couple years I've started watchin what goes into the pie hole.  Something I should have done 20 years ago when I found out "why" I felt like crap.  Today, I'd like to think I'm eating better but there's always work to do to keep that A1C in check.  That's the crazy thing about it all.

Afib surfaced during my divorce so had a couple ablations done and now on the 4th pacer which isn't good when you have half a heart left to play with.  Enjoying the read but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  Still preachin I'm gonna out live Keef but that remains to be seen.  lol

Enjoying the read though and agree w/the thoughts in many ways.  Thanks for the enlightenment cause in many ways it's uplifting.  Goals, gotta have goals!  :)

ALL endocrinologists should be required to go to Army Drill Sgt school then they can lock heels and take no prisoners.  The good ones are hard to find in the "system."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Good timing resurrecting this old thread.  I need to drop 10 pounds....again!  I'll keep peeking in.

Fwiw, you know (more than likely) what you indulge in that is bad for you and I'd start cutting/eliminating that. Then consider trying to burn more calories than you are now. To keep you honest weigh yourself every day and eat more fruit and vegetables. 😊 That's my take for those that don't have other issues which may influence what you can eat verses what you want to consume...Good luck!

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2023 at 3:47 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

Oh that reminds me....Toss all that Low Fat nonsense out the window - - 1970s propaganda posing as science. The body MUST HAVE saturated fat to live. Seed Oil is the most dangerous food in the grocery after sugar. EAT FAT TO GROW THIN AND HEALTHY!

I eat the fat off my steaks

Is that OK. ??

😀😀