Backs on Klipschorns?

scott0527

On 3/19/2019 at 4:02 AM, kevinmi said:

I've had backs on my K-Horns for about 9 years now. You will still get the best results when placed in corners, but you don't have to worry about being sealed tight.

You're on the money.  It should open up for more sales from those that previously disregarded Klipschorns' because they had difficult rooms.  I reckon Klipsch didn't just screw random pieces of chip board to seal the backs - they would have done some fancy engineering to tweak the sound for sealed back operation.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 6:33 AM, sixspeed said:

I have seen the same type of modded older KHorns with the backs added on eBay like the OP said and have always wondered myself how they sound compared to a 70 or AK6.

I have wondered myself as to how DIY sealed backs compare to factory versions.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2019 at 3:03 PM, garyrc said:

I use pipe insulation also, but in my old home I used the flaps of rubber floor runner.  With the foam, I pushed the Khorns into the corner as hard as I could, but my OCD has me wondering if the foam -- because of its porous nature -- fails to make an air tight seal.

Isn't pipe insulation usually made of closed-cell neoprene?

With the new crazy price hikes they will have a few on hand I'm sure. I dont think Klipsch will sell near as many as they did before. I know I might have bought some new Hersey's but not now I will look for used. My first thought when I heard new prices was Heritage speakers will be gone in a few years. I guess we will see. 

16 hours ago, ricktate said:

With the new crazy price hikes they will have a few on hand I'm sure. I dont think Klipsch will sell near as many as they did before. I know I might have bought some new Hersey's but not now I will look for used. My first thought when I heard new prices was Heritage speakers will be gone in a few years. I guess we will see. 

Man I really hope you are wrong! That would a real shame of they close up the Heritage production line because the price increases back fired on them.

I'd imagine it wasn't an easy decision for them and that they looked at the issue from all angles. Personally I'd have left them where they were to extract more buyers and in the last 2-3 years or so there seems to have been more people getting into heritage line speakers. There also seems to be a renewed interest into horns among some people so who knows.

These speakers are Klipsch's bread and butter product line to compete with the best the other guys have to offer. In light of all the trends over the last 50 years or so, Klipsch (Heritage line now) is still here and many of those guys aren't. Horns are timeless and just work, no gimmicks, no BS, just pure great sound.

In Klipsch's defense up to this point their prices increases going back 75 years have all been more or less 1:1 gradual, linear and natural progressions due to inflation, economic growth, cost of materials and labor etc. etc.

Besides when was the last time the heritage line prices saw an increase across the board? Maybe it's been awhile and if that is the case than maybe this will be the only one for another decade or so.

20 hours ago, edwinr said:

I have wondered myself as to how DIY sealed backs compare to factory versions.

I ran mine free air with about 6 inches to the corner due to a low angled walls for a while. I then enclosed them and gained a lot of low end with he ability to toe them out.   It made them very listenable.  I then moved homes, got good corners and a dedicated room. Stuck them in the corners and toed them out a bit and its another step up.    Just the ability to toe is worth a lot more than a sheet of birch and 8 screws. I think it also helps having them wrapped in wood instead of sheetrock.

• Moderators
On 3/18/2019 at 6:56 AM, Panelhead said:

Maybe Roy can comment on the new Klipschorns and how they handle loading when not flush in a corner. 

Even with a back the new ones shoukd load the bass best when flush in the corner. How much will depend on the placement. 

Adding back panels to older models may not be the same as the new models. I suspect there is more to it than screwing some plywood to the back. 

Go to :45 into the video and @Chief bonehead Roy talks about the background on enclosing the backs.

• Thanks 1

Seems like a game changer. I am also one who has never had a pair of proper corners over the years so just dreamt of of Khorns. I would be crowned King of England before my wife would allow false corners to be built and placed in the living room.

31 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

I would be crowned King of England before my wife would allow false corners to be built and placed in the living room. 

There are so many reasons this is such a funny statement!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

Maybe it has to do with different Mid-Horn lens on the Belles or that the horizontal center-line of both the tweeter and the mid horn lens are lower to the floor, than on the K-horns???  Or a combination of the two?  These speakers have many other differences, also...bass horn designs, crossover networks, bottom-end extension, and a few more!

On 4/15/2019 at 3:33 PM, sixspeed said:

I have the 70th KHorns and they are in my rooms corners pretty tight and tucked in but not as tight as I could get them since I have my heating baseboards running along the bottom of the wall.

Thanks to the closed backs this was not an issue and the bass extension is simply awesome. It goes all the down to 35hz, It's articulate, tight, detailed and fast. Everything you want and nothing is missing or feels compromised.

A big reason why I went with the 70s since they only need to be in the vicinity of a corner and not perfectly wedged in like the original open back design KHorn.

I have seen the same type of modded older KHorns with the backs added on eBay like the OP said and have always wondered myself how they sound compared to a 70 or AK6.

Maybe it has to do with different Mid-Horn lens on the Belles or that the horizontal center-line of both the tweeter and the mid horn lens are lower to the floor, than on the K-horns???  Or a combination of the two?  These speakers have many other differences, also...bass horn designs, crossover networks, bottom-end extension, and a few more!

On 4/19/2019 at 10:25 PM, sixspeed said:

Good point!!

Just bought a pr of 70's. I know this sounds wierd but I'm still on the fence on the sound. After 20 watts the khorns (NOT SCHORNS!!) Blow my belles away. I'm thinking i need a bigger room

Well my new KHORNS are awesome. After further testing and f'ing around yea I'm going to sell the belles and my old Khorns. Will post i. The next month or so. What really conviced me was "Electric Mud" at 200 watts

Yea there's a big difference from the hieght and placement. Belles sure are forgiving to placement for sure