Jump to content

Why not a 510 in a home speaker yet?


Recommended Posts

I bet Bob or another on here could make something. The 396 xo might work with the k33 but idk. The k48 vs 33 I'm thinking would have some level issues (but I'm only guessing based on data). Active xos seem like they might be the best match when doing a mod like the 510 in a corn (or something built based on the box, drivers, and horns)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe my memory is fading from Pilgrimage already, but with my latest DSP settings my K510 setup reminds me most of the Jube demo than anything I heard in the Heritage room.  The k510s fill the entire room with sound. It still amazes me how much directional control such a small horn can have.

 

One of the key design considerations for my build was that I have exactly one place in the house where I could place these speakers. Essentially the problem I was trying to solve is given the width of a k510 how much speaker could I squeeze next to the columns of the fireplace without protruding too far into the window frames. I did build the horn enclosures independently from the bass bins so I could aim the horns, but so far I haven’t found any significant sound improvements by doing so.

 

One of my favorite things to do when I have the house empty enough is to listen to a bunch of instrumental SRV, especially Riviera Paradise about the same SPL as the Jube demo in Hope. They K510s give me goosebumps every time. These would never replace a pair of Jubes if I had the space, but they are definitely in the ballpark. My hat’s off for @Chief bonehead Roy Delgado for developing the K510. For it’s size there isn’t anything comparable in my opinion.

02550940-F17E-4643-B026-5A775624C356.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

What’s the cost for a pair of 510 horns with a mid range driver?


Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

Sent you a DM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2019 at 7:00 AM, Heritage_Head said:

I bet Bob or another on here could make something. The 396 xo might work with the k33 but idk. The k48 vs 33 I'm thinking would have some level issues (but I'm only guessing based on data). Active xos seem like they might be the best match when doing a mod like the 510 in a corn (or something built based on the box, drivers, and horns)

 

I haven't tried passive on my setup, but I'm pretty sure the K691s really like being driven directly by an active amp. I also doubt the bass bins would be as clean with a passive network.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MenloBob said:

Maybe my memory is fading from Pilgrimage already, but with my latest DSP settings my K510 setup reminds me most of the Jube demo than anything I heard in the Heritage room.  The k510s fill the entire room with sound. It still amazes me how much directional control such a small horn can have.

 

One of the key design considerations for my build was that I have exactly one place in the house where I could place these speakers. Essentially the problem I was trying to solve is given the width of a k510 how much speaker could I squeeze next to the columns of the fireplace without protruding too far into the window frames. I did build the horn enclosures independently from the bass bins so I could aim the horns, but so far I haven’t found any significant sound improvements by doing so.

 

One of my favorite things to do when I have the house empty enough is to listen to a bunch of instrumental SRV, especially Riviera Paradise about the same SPL as the Jube demo in Hope. They K510s give me goosebumps every time. These would never replace a pair of Jubes if I had the space, but they are definitely in the ballpark. My hat’s off for @Chief bonehead Roy Delgado for developing the K510. For it’s size there isn’t anything comparable in my opinion.

02550940-F17E-4643-B026-5A775624C356.jpeg

Your room looks great with them....Are you planing on grills? Jason str built my grills for my 904s and did a fantastic job (cheap too). Don't think he's doing jobs anymore but could probably answer questions. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Heritage_Head said:

Your room looks great with them....Are you planing on grills? Jason str built my grills for my 904s and did a fantastic job (cheap too). Don't think he's doing jobs anymore but could probably answer questions. 

 

Yeah grills are next. I have some foamcore board I was going to wrap with a tan burlap that’s about the same color as the marble on the fireplace. Eventually I will paint the enclosures with the same semigloss white as the fireplace so the blend perfectly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Using the 510 in a home speaker might be more complicated than everyone seems to think.  Would it work properly with a typical consumer driver, or would it require a K-69-A or K-691 driver to go with it, which could end up being a bit pricy?  As a C/D horn, the 510 requires a lot of EQ.  Does Klipsch want to get into designing a complicated passive crossover to make that horn sound good with their consumer woofer of a suitable size and spec?  As for an active crossover, probably 95% of buyers would have no interest in that.

 

There’s no doubt the K510 could be incorporated into a mass market Klipsch speaker, but could it be priced to sell well, and is there enough free time in the engineering department at the moment to dedicate to such a project?  And would the improved sound be obvious enough to the average buyer to make it a tempting buy, even if it costs more than current comparable models?

 

Just my thoughts on the subject.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Islander said:

Using the 510 in a home speaker might be more complicated than everyone seems to think.  Would it work properly with a typical consumer driver, or would it require a K-69-A or K-691 driver to go with it, which could end up being a bit pricy?  As a C/D horn, the 510 requires a lot of EQ.  Does Klipsch want to get into designing a complicated passive crossover to make that horn sound good with their consumer woofer of a suitable size and spec?  As for an active crossover, probably 95% of buyers would have no interest in that.

 

There’s no doubt the K510 could be incorporated into a mass market Klipsch speaker, but could it be priced to sell well, and is there enough free time in the engineering department at the moment to dedicate to such a project?  And would the improved sound be obvious enough to the average buyer to make it a tempting buy, even if it costs more than current comparable models?

 

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Agreed.. Good point

 

I got into a similar idea a few pages back. It would probably require pro drivers to keep up. I don't think  2 rf7 10" drivers under it as an example would work well. And if you did use them. It would probably need a low pass filter to start rolling off at 60hz to keep the high spl that would be needed to keep up with a driver horn combo of the 510/691. And even at a 60hz cut off I wonder if the spl would still be way to low.

 

Im sure they could tame the 510/691 to make everything match but wouldn't that kinda defeat the purpose?.... IDK

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2019 at 11:03 PM, Islander said:

Using the 510 in a home speaker might be more complicated than everyone seems to think.

Actually think it is pretty easy.  Many members have "integrated" 510's with great success.  Yes; in a build from scratch, pro woofers are a necessity.  Don't "tame" the 510 :D  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Emile said:

Actually think it is pretty easy.  Many members have "integrated" 510's with great success.  Yes; in a build from scratch, pro woofers are a necessity.  Don't "tame" the 510 :D  

 

I think a lot of speakers built from scratch don't use pro woofers. They aren't a requirement afger all.

 

The k510 does use 2 inch exit drivers, which narrows the field.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:43 PM, Heritage_Head said:

Agreed.. Good point

 

I got into a similar idea a few pages back. It would probably require pro drivers to keep up. I don't think  2 rf7 10" drivers under it as an example would work well. 

 

Im sure they could tame the 510/691 to make everything match but wouldn't that kinda defeat the purpose?.... IDK

 

The RF-7 and KI-396 have the same sensitivity 102db at 1 watt, KI-396 is basically a 2-way Chorus 1 so don't think it would be as hard as you think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

 

The RF-7 and KI-396 have the same sensitivity 102db at 1 watt, KI-396 is basically a 2-way Chorus 1 so don't think it would be as hard as you think.

Klipsch claims that but its not true. The ki-396 and chorus  speakers are measured differently. The 7s come in around 94-96 area. Current lines available only the pro line, heritage, and H/extended speakers have statistics that aren't.... (whatever you want to call it). 

 

Some people on here have suggested that klipsch is adding best guess room gain spl bumps.  Rooms do normally add spl but it seems premature to me to add something thats not there yet. and might not be depending were the speakers are being used. 

 

Like if a football player with all his gear on running and being timed.  17mph with all his gear. You cant then say the average person running without pads and gear runs 3mpl faster in shorts, and then just add that to the 17 and claim it as a true statistic. 

 

Different but same. Adding something based on the largest most likely % chance isn't a real measurement.  Its a best guess. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If somehow all of a sudden like a light switch... Boom rooms now almost always take away spl instead of add to it. I wonder would klipsch then lower all the current stats... But then still use the same room gain formula of highest most likely % outcome? And then take -3-6db off every measured speaker?

 

Im guessing they would definitely stay clear of ever using high probability room spl loss in measuring speaker performance. Knowing it would always lower performance numbers. But it would be just as true and useful. Just not conveniently. 

 

I know its sales so no need for the of course thats why... any business would lol.  I know.... 👀.

 

But It rubs me wrong lol. The stats are freaking great already . They don't need any of that crap. And people know man. They look like the white van speaker salesmen, Pushing the retail for 5k each speakers with a story like they also wash and dry dishes and clothes. Oh and I'm leaving the country to join the peace corps in a few hours so these gotta go now.! So...... For you..👉..... only $99.00.  "Buy now.. save later"!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...