The Klipsch Audio Community
wuzzzer

Bug screen removal from K-55-V midrange?

I've read the past posts about doing this.  Anyone try doing this recently?  I love a very detailed midrange and am very happy with what the soldered lug drivers in my 1980 Heresys provide.  But, always looking for ways to improve the sound. 

Can the screens be replaced if they're removed?  I read that some have had difficulty removing them and have ruined the screens in the process.  With the value and scarcity of the soldered lug drivers I don't want to do anything to them that isn't reversible or would decrease their value. 

Personally, I would not bother. I seriously doubt the screen plays much of a role sound wise.

I've removed the screens a few times and feel as though I can hear a noticeable difference.    Some screens come out much easier than others;  the radius is easily deformed.  They can be straightened and they press easily back into place.  

Pull one screen off,  play your system in mono and compare the modified driver to the stock driver.   It may just prove to be worthwhile!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Zim. said:

Some screens come out much easier than others;

Mine must be in the "others" category! I just pulled on this screen with a small hook and it did not budge. When I shine a flashlight into the opening, the screen looks almost transparent.

IMG_5965.JPG.f7299c5d940c75b5ff9fcd78382a536b.JPG

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

Out of curiosity, were you able to do any before and after measures?

Nope, just used the only thing I fully trust!

40 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Mine must be in the "others" category! I just pulled on this screen with a small hook and it did not budge. When I shine a flashlight into the opening, the screen looks almost transparent.

IMG_5965.JPG.f7299c5d940c75b5ff9fcd78382a536b.JPG

A couple years ago I sent an inquiry to Bob Crites on the availability of replacement screens after I slightly mangled a screen from a corroded k55v.  At the time he thought they were pretty much unobtainium.  One may want to factor this in during the removal risk assessment.

• Thanks 1

I wondered about opening the driver and pushing the screen from the inside, but I am guessing that the diaphragm wires are soldered to the terminals, and that even if I unsolder it, there might also be a phase plug in the way.

When I took mine out, I poked through with a screwdriver and tore them out in one piece. Yes, they could no longer be used but they were a commonly found Atlas PD5-VH.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

When I took mine out, I poked through with a screwdriver and tore them out in one piece. Yes, they could no longer be used but they were a commonly found Atlas PD5-VH.

Did they sound any better without the screens?

I'm sure things sound different with them removed.  It's got to be a good 25% reduction in "flowable" area with the screens in.  Aside from anything else going on (like developed compression) it seems as though at the least the output level of the driver would change, and possibly not evenly so throughout its range.

I don't believe it's something I'd mess with.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soundbound said:

Did they sound any better without the screens?

I can't really say. It was a new build and I was going by the advice of some others.

On 9/11/2019 at 1:02 PM, PrestonTom said:

Personally, I would not bother. I seriously doubt the screen plays much of a role sound wise.

Slight change in sound.  I had to remove mine in an old set of k-horns because I could actually hear it rattle on certain notes.

5 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Slight change in sound.  I had to remove mine in an old set of k-horns because I could actually hear it rattle on certain notes.

for those who might share your screen rattle problem but who do not wish to remove the screen a judicious application of krazy glue should silence the rattle.