Who has knowledge of cassette recording

joessportster

So I  got my  RX 202  today and it is in great shape except for 1  thing when   I record  the input  meters are balanced but playback of that recording the right channel is much louder and throws the image nearly  fully to the left.  Playing back a pre  recorded tape is balanced left to  right  as the meters indicate a balanced input  signal I am led to believe the recording  head is the culprit.  Not being a  genius on tape heads Is  it possible only 1 side might be dirty (I seriously doubt this)  Could it be something else causing the imbalance  when recording ie one of the filters or type selectors etc...

Anyone ?

I, too, think head wear or dirt on just one channel is not likely, but, just for the heck of it, run a cleaning tape through it about 5 times.

If that doesn't work, inspect the internal wiring leading to the recording head (I assume there are separate record and play heads on your unit. 

Someone else, perhaps a bench tech, will take you from there.

P.S. Avoid cheap tapes that shed or stretch.  Back in the day, shorter tapes were sometimes thicker than long ones, and good brands were Maxell, Ampex, Scotch (3M), TDK, etc.  The cassette medium was a big compromise, but not as much of one as 8 track.  Some Metal Tapes were rather high fidelity  This may be obvious, but you may have a bias switch and an EQ switch.  EQ affected playback only, but bias needed to be set for the tape type before recording.

1 hour ago, scalawag said:

Might the recording head be slightly out of alignment?

Always a possibility.  I have had lots of trouble with the old machines.  They need to be sent to an expert and completely rehabbed, which I have yet to do because it is like buying them all over again, and it is not as important as it used to be.  Back in the day I would record my most played lps to save the wear and tear on them.  It worked---my old lps are in great shape because of it.  I have 2 naks I would like to get back up to spec but it's not a priority.

the 202  is a 2  head machine  so same head for  playback and recording  (Thats my understanding)  Found  a thread on  tape  heads, fella had the EXACT  same issue  with a denon deck  turned  out  head wear.  This begs the  ? if the head is used to record and playback why is  playback  balanced  ? and wouldn't  I be able to  expect an issue with playback  some time in the not to   distant future  ?  The  seller of  the Deck is  acting Good and will accept return, I am starting  to  lean  towards a  return.

the heads have small slots in them, one for each channel. Look closely for a buildup of gunk inside the slots. Clean with denatured alcohol and a q-tip. Also, if the transport system is misaligned, it could cause problems. The tape has to be 90 degrees perpendicular to the heads for best results. Another problem could be the bias, which could be an internal component problem. If I didn't see any obvious dirt or misalignment issues, I'd send it out to a qualified technician.

Eggzactly what kevin said Joe.  IF you use alcohol make sure you use denatured because rubbing alcohol has oils in it and will foul the tape.  My guess is there's a glob of something in the head.  Grab a magnifying glass and eyeball.  While your at it look at the rollers for dirt and wear.  Easy w/the alcohol too!  That doesn't work return it and save the hassle.

Full documentation available at HI FI Engine. Service manual is almost 8 meg can't downloaded it here. If it plays back good through the same head, sounds like there is something wrong with record or record bias circuits. A good cleaning cannot hurt. Do you have a head demagnetizer?

• Like 2

appreciate the suggestions. I bought this deck already serviced I got the receipt  with  it. The tech is a reputable business  in Michigan (Morell Electronics in  Farmington Hills Mi) The Receipt shows belts and  Idler tire replaced, It does not mention alignment or anything else.   I will try cleaning the heads and report back.  I hope its that easy  otherwise I think I will have to  return this one and continue the hunt 

5 minutes ago, babadono said:

Full documentation available at HI FI Engine. Service manual is almost 8 meg can't downloaded it here. If it plays back good through the same head, sounds like there is something wrong with record or record bias circuits. A good cleaning cannot hurt. Do you have a head demagnetizer?

No demag yet  just getting back  into cassette

3 minutes ago, joessportster said:

I bought this deck already serviced I got the receipt  with  it.

OK sum ting wong. Either they don't know what they're doing or they did not listen to it, or test it or just replaced the rubber parts and said ship it! They will take it back? For full credit or refund? Or give it another go at making it work properly?

• Like 1