upgrade frustration... is there an end?

prodj101

well, quite frankly, I just don't know where to go now. I am currently building some speakers, which will hopefully turn out great and maybe that will be my cure. I have heard the RF-7's, and didn't think they had enough advantages over my SF-2's to spend 1,500 dollars on them. So, I am mistified as to where to go next. I am happy with every part of my system. does this mean I'm cured? Like all of you, I would still like to have a pair of k horns, but honestly, I couldn't ask more of my system right now. Maybe I will build a pair of big horn speakers, than I will be set.

DJ

Before I owned Khorns, I thought, once I get Khorns, that will be it. That was 15 years ago.

Once I got Khorns, I could hear how crappy all the other components in my system were. I ended up replacing everything else, several times. I plan to change amps and pre amps agian next year.

Then, at some point you will realize how Khorns sandwiched in the corners of your living room are not optimum, so you build false corners, rearrange the furnature while your wife is not home and realize the shortcommings of your home acoustics. Somehow with the whole side of the room opening to the kitchen and dining room just sounds bad and I am not happy with that.

At some point you build a house and have a good listening room. You then realize your components suck agian.

The answer is no. It never ends.

JM

Over the past 5 years or less maybe i have spent about $ 5500 on the HT setup not including the TV.

HT was great, but I found the music still was not musical.

Bought the used Chorus II a month ago.

My brother came over last night since he got kicked out of the house due to bachelorette party. We wathced "Jumungi" with the kiddies on the HT in the family room.

After they went to bed we listened to 4 CDs in a row on the Chorus II rig in the living room with some Sam Adams and Herra Dura Reposado tequila until 1:30 in the morning.

I was one of the best 10 listening sessions I have had in the past decade, but I still plan on upgrading.

Obsessions do not have to be frustrating if you perceive the process of upgrading to be a journey of discovery.

Talking with my brother and listening to 3.5 hours of music....priceless.

I've been on upgrade mode my whole life. I used to take my clock radio apart and try to wire in better external speakers...when I was 7!!!

It never ends...

But I do love my La Scalas and SVS. I think they will be around for a looooonnnnggg time.

Sean

The upgrade bug is always on my mind, what to buy next, what tweek to perform. It never ends.The last thing I bought for my k-horns was a scott 299a tube amp, this was the best upgrade I ever did, the k-horns sound awsome.Tubes and K-horns go together so well. Next I would like to up grade my tuntable to a better one. Prodj101 How about this set up for you, a set of used lascalas and a scott tube amp, cd player and a good turntable.It could be done for less than 2000 bucks.I think you would be happy as heck with this set up.

I sure hope it never ends.

step 1. Upgrade system.

step 2. Realize your system sounds great.

step 3. Buy music for your great system.

step 4. One day you want something just a little bit better.

step 5.Repeat steps 1 through 4.

Thats usually the way it goes around here3.gif

I think an Eico or Scott is propably in my future.

Unfortunately though I know that student loans are also in my future 15.gif so I might not be able to have those tubes any time soon.

I've also been thinking about building my own horn loaded sub. I don't really miss that low frequency stuff right now(I don't care what anybody says the heresy has plenty of bass) but I would enjoy having a massive horn loaded monster to show off as well as to listen to.

Oh well I guess the trick is to control your upgraditis and make informed purchases, and not be an impulse buyer. Impulse buying can really hurt you if you aren't careful.

btw, good luck on building those speakers, it sounds like a load of fun2.gif

Peace, Josh

I loved my Heresys connected to my old Sony Receiver back in 1981. When the Sony gave up the ghost (not long after the warranty ran out) I bought an NAD 7130 Receiver. More punch. Better bass. I was very happy, but cash poor, and knew there was better systems out there. Flash forward to 1999. I knew my NAD with its hard to replace crackling speaker selector/power button circuit was polluting my system's sound. I purchased a Denon HT receiver with a pair of B&W 602s. Great Sound. But soon I missed the dynamic power of the Klipsch speakers. Instead of Hauling out the old Heresys, I bought brand new RP-3s. I was very happy with the Rp-3s, but now felt that the Denon needed more power. I then bought the Rotel Rb991 (200 watts). WOW!. Great! But...I then connected the Heresys to the upper frequency output of my $200+ MIT speaker cables (another purchase somewhere along the way) and kept the lower connection to the RP-3s powered subs. Incredible sound! Perfect I thought. Then I moved to my new house.... All bets are off. Time to build a new system.

Oddly, the Heresys still sound beautiful...and the old NAD still produces the most satisfying sound when the speaker selector is not residing in one of the many burned out spots on the old motherboard bound mechanical switch.

Will it end? I think it's different for each person. I'm done upgrading certain parts of my system, the sub (SVS 20-39PCi) and the mains (Forte II) to be specific.

I've listened to the Chorus II and they're amazing but I find the Forte II's to be everything I need (really). From everything I've read most people consider them to be one of the best speakers Klipsch ever made. How can you go wrong with that? I plan on getting another pair for rear surrounds.

Throw an Academy in the center and another at the rear center and I'm done upgrading my HT speakers. I may get some Belles or Khorns some day but it will be for a 2 channel system.

Receivers, separates, source components, TV...I find it hard to keep those for more than a couple of years. Technology changes so fast and I want to stay as current as my bank account will let me.

Currently, I have an RSW-15, SF-2's, Mcintosh MC-2105 power amplifier, B&K preamp, Sony SACD player, monster cables, Eico HF-12 tube amp currenlty unused, home made tube amps waiting to be moved to cabin, DIY mini moniters waiting to be moved to cabin, but if they're good enough, they'll replace the SF-2's. than I have the surround and all, but thats lame cause who doesn't?

As far as I know it never ends. Until the good doctors validate this as an addiction/disease, insurance starts coverage for recovery and a twelve step program is developed we can expect that this will remain a 'hidden' addiction that requires us to send our kids to trade school instead of college.

We will be gaunt ghosts of ourselves as we fall behind in our utility payments to make room for another SET and put the old one in the garage (which no longer has room for cars - fortunately we can no longer afford cars). We see a scraggley beard (stringy unwashed hair for the ladies), a cigarette hanging out of the corner of our mouth as we are sitting in our favorite listening spot with an SPL meter. This is the movie shot - as the rest of the family is packing to leave and looking woefully in our direction wondering what happened to this wonderful person. It began as listening in 'social' situations only. Now we find ourselves listening even when we are alone. Even though we know better, we say we can stop anytime. We listen to NPR (or Rush Limbaugh - your choice) when others are around to keep up the premise that we are normal. Over time we care less and less what others think and become bombastic when accused of having a problem. The only support groups available actually encourage this disease. The clergy are clueless on how to help (excorscism has come closest to working).

Oh well, I do not think it ever stops.....

The sad answer for me at least is UPGRADING WILL ONLY END WHEN I DIE!

Unless you are very satisfied with your system,upgrading my never end so to speak.I know audio like almost everything high tech,improves with time.Health may not but audio sure does

Even with speakers like the Spendor and Dynaudio I know there is the EgglestonWorks and Rockport around the corner.The problem is money,admn High-End audio is costly in the long run.