I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED ...

BigStewMan

I needed to get to some of my writing and it's gone ... on a dead laptop.  I'm trying not to be too upset about this, but it is tragic ... some of my best work is gone. The laptop fires up fine and the screen looks great until I open anything, then the screen flitters super fast and anything on the screen is unreadable. 

I can't recreate this stuff even though I basically know what was written. 

This isn't the first time. Years ago, I had a project that was going great and my house was burglarized and my computer stolen.  I tried to recreate it and couldn't.  The author Garrison Keillor told a story about how he lost his best work at an airport. He said he knew the story, but was never able to re-write it -- that is what happened to me. 

Somewhere amongst all my stuff is an external hard drive that may have this stuff on it; but I don't know where that drive is and I don't know if the one and only time that I used it to backup my computer was before or after I wrote these key pieces that I now need. 

I'm such an idiot and this one is gonna hurt ... real bad. 

42 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I needed to get to some of my writing and it's gone ... on a dead laptop.  I'm trying not to be too upset about this, but it is tragic ... some of my best work is gone. The laptop fires up fine and the screen looks great until I open anything, then the screen flitters super fast and anything on the screen is unreadable. 

I can't recreate this stuff even though I basically know what was written. 

This isn't the first time. Years ago, I had a project that was going great and my house was burglarized and my computer stolen.  I tried to recreate it and couldn't.  The author Garrison Keillor told a story about how he lost his best work at an airport. He said he knew the story, but was never able to re-write it -- that is what happened to me. 

Somewhere amongst all my stuff is an external hard drive that may have this stuff on it; but I don't know where that drive is and I don't know if the one and only time that I used it to backup my computer was before or after I wrote these key pieces that I now need. 

I'm such an idiot and this one is gonna hurt ... real bad. 

dont reboot your laptop  any more ,   you do not want to risk losing the data   -------send me your laptop ,  I will either repair it , or retrieve your data ----no problem

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

what is the model no --------brand ------of the laptop -------what type of windows -----if you have a screen shot of the problem , take a picture and post it -   did you have  an anti-virus active -----

• Like 1

Steve- Often drives that won't boot/run the operating system, etc., can still be accessed when added to a second system.

As Randy asked... what brand/model of laptop, and what OS. If the drive is easily emoved, I can send you a shell that you can then plug into a usb port on another pc. If you encrypted the drive... all bets are off.

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just had an old laptop die and pulled the HD and put it in a docking station and found all of my old files. 

I am not an expert by any measure, but when you replace this, make sure your operating system is on a separate partition if not drive. 

You can create a very cheap backup (about $15) by using MS Synctoy (free) and syncing your files to a USB every night using the 'echo' feature.  An external drive is probable better, but at least this will allow nightly backups of everything very cheap. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

You can create a very cheap backup (about $15) by using MS Synctoy (free) and syncing your files to a USB every night using the 'echo' feature.  An external drive is probable better, but at least this will allow nightly backups of everything very cheap. 

And make a usb copy of that drive at least once a month and store it somewhere else safe.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I needed to get to some of my writing and it's gone ... on a dead laptop.  I'm trying not to be too upset about this, but it is tragic .

Steve , First thing to do is  to retrieve all the data-documents-files etc  -and do a backup  -------then diagnose what is the problem -

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marvel said:

If you encrypted the drive... all bets are off.

yes it was encrypted.

Thought I was okay today ... turned it on and it fired up. The sign in screen was clear and stable, then once I click on an application, the screen went black and stayed black.

I have so many boxes in storage and the external hard drive can be in any one of them.

I read something today that said with the Catalina OS that is on that Mac, that an iPad can be used as a second screen.  I'll have to do more reading about that; but fear that I'll have to do something on the damaged laptop to enable a second screen to be active?  That would be impossible with a black screen. 

I'm SO not tech savvy so I can't understand how the screen can be perfect until I click on an application then it either goes black or flutters so fast that is it unreadable. 

24 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

yes it was encrypted.

I read something today that said with the Catalina OS that is on that Mac,

-I was wondering if it was a Mac ------Catalina OS has issues with a black screen and Graphics  ------

Hi Steve

I'm zero help with your problem. I was doing good to get my streaming music to run... Hope you can unlock your lost files.  .... before you frisbee the computer. You might consider paying a tech to say, "Oh, we just need to push this button".

"Simple" on a computer is an adventure to me. I don't have enough of a computer vocabulary to execute the simplest tasks. 

I had to learn to "type" because the damn things....

• Like 1