Finally will have LaScala's

Alexander

On 12/17/2020 at 6:07 AM, Panelhead said:

Those La Scala’s sure would benefit from some support on the bottom. A sub or four would get the sound to full range. 

Add DaveA MAHL and DE-120 update to get the combo to the next level. 

Tried my LS yesterday full range for a while. Nothing sounded good. Lite weight. 

Not even acoustic folk, or music featuring female vocals, like Norah Jones?  To be fair, I always used at least minimal subwoofage, so I haven’t heard unaided La Scalas.  Oddly enough, some people swear subs are not needed with Scalas.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:07 AM, Panelhead said:

Those La Scala’s sure would benefit from some support on the bottom. A sub or four would get the sound to full range. 

Add DaveA MAHL and DE-120 update to get the combo to the next level. 

Tried my LS yesterday full range for a while. Nothing sounded good. Lite weight. 

I agree they are light in the low bass, but still think live recordings on a set of La Scala’s is hard to beat. With or without a sub. 

• Like 2

Finally have the LS hooked up to a Denon avr-x3200w used in 2-channel mode for right now. When we have either the Denon poa-4400s/dap-2500 or Emotiva gear down here that is the best on hand.

So after a few hours of listening it is obvious that there is great promise here but there is some attention needed. Maybe Scott will swing by this weened and check them out. All drivers appear to work so I suspect the OEM xovers are in need of a refreshing, so for the moment Scott & I are debating what to do next.

One train of thought would be to just re cap the OEMs and the other thought was to preserve the OEM xovers and I would just build a set of AAs from scratch. This is Scott's money so it would be his call as which way we go of course. But my vote is to just start over and save the originals – to be fair I like to build crossovers  :)

• Like 2

When I got my '89 LS, they had AL crossovers and sounded terrible to me. John Albright @JohnA
 loaned me a pair of ALK crossovers, not his extreme slopes, and I used them until I could build a pair of his DHA2S. Very nice, simple design that works well with my low power amps (even though I've powered them with a 300wpc Crown for a huge party and they were awesome)

13 minutes ago, Marvel said:

When I got my '89 LS, they had AL crossovers and sounded terrible to me. John Albright @JohnA
 loaned me a pair of ALK crossovers, not his extreme slopes, and I used them until I could build a pair of his DHA2S. Very nice, simple design that works well with my low power amps (even though I've powered them with a 300wpc Crown for a huge party and they were awesome)

DHA2S ? I have seen it mentioned here on the board a few times but don't recall ever seeing a schematic of it.

We can work on polluting your process... :emotion-14:

If you're doing any driving north/south, I'm right off I-75 and have a K510 & DX-38 you can borrow to play around with.  Once you hear that side by side with the stock.....  you're going to be facing your dark side wondering if that door should be opened or not....  (it won't be as easy once you hear it)

(Luke.....  come and feel the power of the dark side.....)

• Haha 1