LSBR La Scala Value

Jefe

It really hurts seeing these prices on LaScalas. I had a great pair that I sold to this jackass (on this very forum) for literally a steal, like $650 or so because he wanted a pair so badly and he was going to enjoy them for eternity. 

2 weeks later he was flipping them. I did feel stupid and played but didn't feel like a jackass. Anyhoodles I have what I want now so if you're out there Mr. "screen name escapes me" it's all good.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 11:52 AM, nickyboy6100 said:The value of those speakers is what you are willing to pay for them. You could probably find a better deal if you are willing to wait. That could be weeks, months, or years. In my opinion, life is too short for that. Enjoy!

I’ve been on the hunt for quite a while myself. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

I’ve been on the hunt for quite a while myself. 

Definitely getting harder to find. I think a lot more people are buying them to flip these days. Even at 2,000 +\- a little is still a bargain compared to new. I sold a pair on the forum a few months ago, and am still kicking myself for it. 

I picked up a clean set for $800 off this forum a couple years ago.  I got lucky that I had a friend out in CA that wasn't far from them and his parents were already making a trip to see him and back, so shipping ended up being free!  've since upgraded them and will completely refinish them next year.  I plan to let these go the same way the previous owner let them go... death.  :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

I I had a great pair that I sold to this jackass (on this very forum) for literally a steal, like $650 or so because he wanted a pair so badly and he was going to enjoy them for eternity. 

2 weeks later he was flipping them.

well ,  that sucks bad , I would be pissed ----

• Moderators
On 12/5/2020 at 10:33 AM, Jefe said:

There is quite history to these speakers as well. They were owned by the longtime bass player for Johnny Carson's band. His widow has been hanging on to them for many years.

Did you buy those from Mary Frances? If so, those would be the late great Joel DiBartolo's speakers.

I will see if the Museum Curator, Jim Hunter, can look to see if those serial numbers are in the written log books and if they are, get you the information on the date those were made and which dealer they were sold/shipped to.

If you don't know who Joel DiBartolo is, here is a good start:

https://azdailysun.com/lifestyles/announcements/obituaries/joel-dibartolo/article_22bd4d2a-f355-11e0-b716-001cc4c03286.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Did you buy those from Mary Frances? If so, those would be the late great Joel DiBartolo's speakers.

I will see if the Museum Curator, Jim Hunter, can look to see if those serial numbers are in the written log books and if they are, get you the information on the date those were made and which dealer they were sold/shipped to.

https://azdailysun.com/lifestyles/announcements/obituaries/joel-dibartolo/article_22bd4d2a-f355-11e0-b716-001cc4c03286.html

Yes I did. I just got them home! They look fantastic! I would love any information that may be available in the log books on them. An interesting twist of fate is that it turns out Joel used to perform regularly with the LA Philharmonic at the same time my wife's grandmother was a cellist with them. So in all likelihood he knew my wife's grandmother.

• Like 2

I love La Scalas, had a nice pair of '89s I sold to a forum member. I needed the money. New owner ended up selling them, but no regrets. If I would have had the money when he sold them, I would have bought them back.

Did find some beaters sitting on a porch, but none of the parts were correct. Still, I got the boxes for $100... they sound great now, with all (most) of the coorct parts in them.

Enjoy for a while as is... then we'll tell you how to upgrade parts and spend your money.

Great story on the history of those. It will be nice to have some provenance for them.

On 12/6/2020 at 2:46 PM, dwilawyer said:

Hi, was Jim Hunter able to come up with more information about these speakers? I would like to know as much as I can about their history. Thank you!

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Jefe said:

Hi, was Jim Hunter able to come up with more information about these speakers? I would like to know as much as I can about their history. Thank you!

I haven't even had a chance to ask him yet, early this week. Mary gave me the name of the Professor who knows all about Joel's love of Klipsch, I haven't had a chance to talk to him either, but will update when I do. He is apparently a Klipsch owner as well.

Travis

• Like 1

I feel lucky to have been bestowed these speakers who were owned by such a great musician. They have a few blemishes that I would like to fix. Also, at some point Joel sandwiched some black fabric between the upper drivers and the cabinets and I would like to remove it. Would it be sacrilege to restore them to like new?

To the Klipsch community.

I found this forum by accident, as I am currently selling my Klipsch La Scalas which I purchased new in 1979.

Cosmetically, they are far from perfect, (with some chips in the top ply at edges and watermarks on the tops) in the original unfinished birch as I always preferred the look rather than staining them.

I am located in Maryland, and obviously would prefer a local pickup, but shipping by motor freight would not be out of the question, if a bit expensive.

The crossovers a type AA, and there are have been no modifications to the speakers at all.

I am looking for $2400 for the pair.

I am posting this before signing up for an account, which I will do shortly, which I assume will allow me to answer questions and post photos.

Thanks.

Edit: I am now registered and have posted a photo of one, but I need to shrink my photo file size before posting more.

05AAFC31-EB38-4762-BC94-4688C76A94F6.heic

Edited by DawnPatrol
Add a photo.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, DawnPatrol said:

To the Klipsch community.

I found this forum by accident, as I am currently selling my Klipsch La Scalas which I purchased new in 1979.

Cosmetically, they are far from perfect, (with some chips in the top ply at edges and watermarks on the tops) in the original unfinished birch as I always preferred the look rather than staining them.

I am located in Maryland, and obviously would prefer a local pickup, but shipping by motor freight would not be out of the question, if a bit expensive.

The crossovers a type AA, and there are have been no modifications to the speakers at all.

I am looking for $2400 for the pair.

I am posting this before signing up for an account, which I will do shortly, which I assume will allow me to answer questions and post photos.

Thanks.

Edit: I am now registered and have posted a photo of one, but I need to shrink my photo file size before posting more.

05AAFC31-EB38-4762-BC94-4688C76A94F6.heic 1.39 MB · 0 downloads

Welcome to the Forum, do you want me.to move this to the Garage Sell section so you get more response?

Travis