Need to lengthen the speaker cables

M4verick

21 hours ago, Marvel said:

It's 22 gauge... and you can just add on to one end. Are the wires on the satellites detachable? If not, splice on some more... the electrons won't care.

But, do your wires like my pic. That way, even if tape comes off, they won't short together. The wire should have a stripe or marking on one side, so you can get the polarity correct.

Great advice as a general splicing practice. Most times, simplicity wins! I really like the offset thing you propose.

15 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

No kidding. So let's not even start talking about Mundorf Capacitors and the like. LOL.

that´s too simple Sir !

@LarryC said ...

While you're at it, try sticking a Dragonfly into the circuitry if there's a USB port to take it.  You don't have to do any more than that -- no extra DAC'e, added amp connections or whatever.  The Dragonfly seems to substitute some superior DAC circuitry into the works, without extra hooking up, and it sounds clearer, more musical to me the places I've tried it.

--Larry

19 minutes ago, Pondoro said:

What irony! This morning I was messing around behind our TV and a crimp-connector came loose, I had to redo it. It connected an aftermarket amp to a Denon subwoofer that I had repaired (amp had died, speakers were OK.) I should have soldered!

If insufficient force is applied during crimping, or if the wrong crimping tool is used, the wires will be crimped insufficiently or incorrectly. As a result of faulty contacting, the contact resistance between the wire and the ferrule increases due to corrosion on the individual strands. There is also the risk that an incompletely crimped wire can be pulled out of the crimp barrel.

Likewise, the crimp connection must not be compressed too much. If the compression is too strong or the crimping tool is too small, the cross sections of solid and fine-stranded wires can be reduced inadmissibly. Furthermore, if the pressing force is exceeded extremely, there is a risk that individual conductors may be sheared off in the case of fine-stranded wires. As a result, the current-carrying capacity of the connection decreases inadmissibly due to the reduced cross-section. In addition, the sleeve of the crimp connector can become unusable due to cracks or breakage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MicroMara said:

If insufficient force is applied during crimping, or if the wrong crimping tool is used, the wires will be crimped insufficiently or incorrectly. As a result of faulty contacting, the contact resistance between the wire and the ferrule increases due to corrosion on the individual strands. There is also the risk that an incompletely crimped wire can be pulled out of the crimp barrel.

Likewise, the crimp connection must not be compressed too much. If the compression is too strong or the crimping tool is too small, the cross sections of solid and fine-stranded wires can be reduced inadmissibly. Furthermore, if the pressing force is exceeded extremely, there is a risk that individual conductors may be sheared off in the case of fine-stranded wires. As a result, the current-carrying capacity of the connection decreases inadmissibly due to the reduced cross-section. In addition, the sleeve of the crimp connector can become unusable due to cracks or breakage.

One word: SOLDER

• Like 1

15 hours ago, M4verick said:

Sorry, but your blabbering about dog training and recommendation against splicing cables ( despite your complete ignorance about the speakers I bought) classify you as a class 1 know-it-all ignoramus.

M4verick, you’ve just joined a group of audio fans who have been here for some time, more than a decade in many cases.  We know each other, and in most cases, respect each other.  When someone makes a helpful suggestion that turns out not to apply to your computer speakers, it’s a simple mistake.  Many of us are unfamiliar with Klipsch computer speakers, because we have the more typical home audio models.  I’m sure you will make your share of mistakes or false assumptions yourself, if you decide to hang around here.

Insulting someone you don’t know, in a group that you have just joined, says a lot about you, and it’s not good.  Let’s call your offensive response your first mistake, and move on with no hard feelings.  Being in the Forum is a learning experience, so let’s learn from this, okay?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

One word: SOLDER

In europe, yes is dependent on the V D E standards of electrical engineering. Power cables and plugs are not allowed to be soldered , must be crimped. Cinch cables with plugs must be soldered, for loudspeaker cables both can be used.

5 hours ago, MicroMara said:

I´m wondering how a simple question and cable project can cause such a rebellion LOL

It is a cosmic rule of audio. Wires and capacitors can't be discussed without diving into all kinds of opinions. Some real and some amusing and some are audiophool. It is up to the reader to determine which he will believe.

• Like 1

M4verick, one more thing:  to find the most discussions about ProMedia systems, the place to look is the Personal Music Systems section.  There you’ll find lots of fellow ProMedia fans who are very familiar with what you have.

22 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I was wondering the same thing myself.  Lighthearted banter gets turned into accusations of vitriol.  BFD

16 minutes ago, Dave A said:

It is a cosmic rule of audio. Wires and capacitors can't be discussed without diving into all kinds of opinions. Some real and some amusing and some are audiophool. It is up to the reader to determine which he will believe.

Start this type of a lighthearted, simple thread question about oil in an automobile, motorcycle or oil forum (yes, they have those too) and watch the sparks fly. It won’t be long before every petroleum chemist or engine builder tells someone they are full of shite. Let alone someone who has drilled for crude in the Middle East. It’s the way of the keyboard world — 

• Like 2