Parthian Shot...

Mallette

Certainly no offense to anyone here or to SS amps in general. However, I've found the creation of this subforum absurd since day one and this is my first and last visit. Love old Pioneer, Marantz, and other SS receivers but SS is NOT comparable to either Class D or tube amps. Not band with most speakers but really harsh with Heritage. Anyway, no challenge issued and I love the several vintage SS receivers I have. 

Dave

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

Love old Pioneer, Marantz, and other SS receivers but SS is NOT comparable to either Class D or tube amps.

With all due respect Dave,  most modern Class-D is solid state.  The solid state subforum has relevance to those of us who have outgrown the desire to heat our homes with gracefully distorting tube amps.  

I agree that tube amps are NOT comparable to Class-D; good solid state Class-D is better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

With all due respect Dave,  Class-D is solid state.  The solid state subforum has relevance to those of us who have outgrown the desire to heat our homes with gracefully distorting tube amps.  

I agree that tube amps are NOT comparable to Class-D; good Class-D is better.

The most neutral sounding amps in the world that can handle ANY loudspeaker load than any of the other classes are a class D variation. The latest from Hypex founder can handle a 2 ohm load. Try that with a tube amplifier! It would puke in about 10 seconds. In fact I use 13 channels of class D amplifier and I never turn them off. They just sit there and wait for a signal and can deliver in excess of 125 db at any frequency for any length of time since even my subwoofers have a 97-100 db/watt sensitivity, just like the mains and Klipsch surrounds. From whisper quiet to flexing my drywall, I have more dynamic range without EVER being close to clipping. I use no warning labels about hearing damage. 

• Like 4

Hmmmm......   I’d agree that the SS sub forum may not be terribly active because nothing blows up, burns out or can be altered by rolling $$$$$ tubes. I recall tubes burning out in my parents Fisher 500 and my own experience with tubes was less than sterling. Ever hear Accuphase SS? I’ve had 2 Accuphase amps and aside from missing the glow of the tubes that is all I miss about them now. 

• Like 1

Usually misquoted as "parting shot." The Parthian shot is a light horse military tactic made famous by the Parthians, an ancient Iranian people. While being in real or feigned retreat, their horse archers would turn their bodies back in full gallop to shoot at the pursuing enemy. The maneuver required superb equestrian skills, since the rider's hands were occupied by his composite bow. As the stirrup had not been invented at the time of the Parthians, the rider relied solely on pressure from his legs to guide his horse.

Not even any snark... Wouldn't expect an IT guy to know this little tidbit.:emotion-14:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Not even any snark... Wouldn't expect an IT guy to know this little tidbit.:emotion-14:  -Dave

And a good tidbit it was!  I looked it up as well as I thought it was an autocorrect for "parting shot" but the thumbnail explanation on the internets didn't use the same definition/story you posted just upstream.  ^^^

Bravo for your story!  🤜🤛

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

And a good tidbit it was!  I looked it up as well as I thought it was an autocorrect for "parting shot" but the thumbnail explanation on the internets didn't use the same definition/story you posted just upstream.  ^^^

Well, TBHWY I  learned about it in my studies of Roman history. The Parthians used the tactic to great effect in their victory over the Roman general Crassus in the Battle of Carrhae. 

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

The Parthian Empire ended in 10/9 BC , the Queen of the Parthian Empire was Roman -

The one who was killed  for killing the king.

Dave, I knew what a Parthian Shot was... Also am a nerdy IT guy.