A Visit with Chief Bonehead and The Jubilee

9 hours ago, billybob said:

Sounds right. Good job on the video. You looked like just doing an impromptu, instead of reading from a script.

That entire 45 minute video was done based on a half page outline, I mostly just talked.  To be honest I'm not entirely sure what else I could have included from a technical standpoint.  Not sure what the confusion is on the bass bin either. 

It was one woofer that was ported, they realized they could fit another woofer and do so without the tuning changing, so they did. 

I'm pretty sure the ports are on the bottom if I remember correctly. 

I'm assuming it's the honeycomb design like the 1502/1802. 

Xmax?  it's 5/8". 

it's a 19.6 hz horn.  

3 db down point is 18 hz.  

Seriously like what else is there to wonder about.  

You have to remember that these events are like, well you pretty much better be a sponge or have a tape recorder or video rolling which was prohibited, or take hella good notes.  Roy doesn't exactly give a lecture where everything is laid out either, you have to follow him around like a creep and hang on to any tidbids of information that he happens to release.  That's the best I can do given the situation.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

For the 75th Anniversary Jubilee, or the regular edition Jubilee?

regular edition.  they won't even talk to us about the 75th at this point.  I don't know what's going on but 35K for the regular walnut and black.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KT88 said:

About the photo...it's poignant in a way. The builder after all the work and development with his baby. Here fits the saying "A picture is worth a thousand words".

I thought it was super cool watching him just enjoy them.  That room sounded surprisingly good, basically the entire room had foam acoustic panels all the way around plus was very large.  That's not at Hope, that's at the Hotel Carmichael ballroom in Carmel Indiana during the national sales meeting last week.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

That entire 45 minute video was done based on a half page outline, I mostly just talked.  To be honest I'm not entirely sure what else I could have included from a technical standpoint.  Not sure what the confusion is on the bass bin either. 

It was one woofer that was ported, they realized they could fit another woofer and do so without the tuning changing, so they did. 

I'm pretty sure the ports are on the bottom. 

I'm assuming it's the honeycomb design like the 1502/1802. 

Xmax?  it's 5/8". 

it's a 19.6 hz horn.  

3 db down point is 18 hz.  

Seriously like what else is there to wonder about.  

Indeed! Yet, as you know more than I, and especially for this particular music system, there will be questions.

There is alot to cover with this platform. It would be daunting for me yet, with your background, and knowledge, it seems from your video, you are in your comfort zone, and it shows. All the time in the world to find out about the ins and outs of this system.

Sure you and any there at your shop are positioned to answer with confidence.

Got alot of questions when I was in a business. Said to them do not know yet, will find out.

Preparation is the name of the game. Expect you will be getting busy, especially with a Jubilee Showroom.

Best of good fortune. 

The product should virtually sell itself.

Cool...

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 2:46 PM, Schu said:

Hey Deno... you are blind?

😛

throwing the old jubilees under the bus already...

Poor Schu - no sooner than your “new” Jubes hit the driveway here comes Chief

Bus Driver Roy with one of those flat nosed buses 🚌 taking direct aim at your Jubes. Not only a center punch but insult to injury, threw it in reverse and backed over them, again. 
Now for mine, bring on the bus. The “newness” has worn off - but like Cheif says - they sound okay.

• Haha 2

Let me begin by saying that I sense some natural discomfort from some “Underground Jubilee” owners with the introduction of the newly designed Jubilee. This happened with the introduction of the “Underground Jubilee” in 2006 with Klipschorn Owners and what I would like to point out and I experienced recently is if you listen to a 1954 Klipschorn, 2020 AK6 Klipschorn, Underground Jubilee or the newly developed Jubilee the quality of sound reproduction is awesome in so many ways that create an emotional connection with music that many of us covet and will never forget the first time we experienced it. If you are fortunate to own and enjoy any of these systems you have some of the best sound reproducers ever made and as the 1954 Klipschorn reproduction I experienced at the KHMA Feild House during this Chief Bonehead “Last Jubfest” event proved I would gladly own and be extremely happy with any of them.

With that said here are my impressions of the Jubilee…

The first impression and longest lasting for me was the overall absolute effortless most natural reproduction over the Jubilee’s full bandwidth (18Hz - 20kHz) that I have ever experienced from a loudspeaker with well recorded material. I’ve personally experienced this type of feeling to a degree with the “Underground Jubilee” and Drivers on the K402 such as the TAD-4001, TAD-4002, Radian 950BePB and the KPT-HLS-1502 prototype subwoofer but the new Jubilee takes this to another level that I believe most listeners will notice within a few minutes into good recordings.

The Jubilee’s extension down to 18Hz is real and is as clean and natural feeling/sounding as the KPT-HLS-1502 prototype that I use with my “Underground Jubilee” as well as the La Scala AL5 ME systems. My one question about this area was the feeling based on the recording I was using (Andrea Bocelli- “Fall On Me”) and my experiences with my systems and a few others was in the frequency region somewhere below 100Hz and probably more in the 18Hz - 40Hz region was if it needed to be raised a few db because I’m use to a certain low pressure wave washing over and around me during this song and it was clearly there with the Jubilee but didn’t hardly reach the level I expected. Roy mentioned that it was possible to raise the LF Level and that might have resolved this question for me but there simply wasn’t enough time available for me to explore this option. Again maybe I’m running my sub a little hotter than I should and that was the cause of the difference but either way that was the only question I was left with and a difference that I’m certain I could easily adjust to my taste in my room.

The attack and decay of instruments was accurate and wonderfully reproduced especially noticeable on many of the recordings using piano, drums,cymbals and string instruments.

On good recordings the Imaging was excellent with very specific locations of vocals and instruments within the soundstage and these images possessed realistic life size qualities which I found extremely engaging. The movement of images in some recordings was as focused and smooth as I have ever experienced and again very engaging for me. The Soundstage and Imaging on good recordings was presented with Height, Width and Depth that was as good or better than anything I’ve ever experienced and this Imaging/Sound-staging capability will be something that can draw listeners emotionally deeper into recordings and is a highly coveted aspect of music reproduction for me.

The Clarity and Inner-detail was also among the best I’ve experienced from a loudspeaker and the Jubilee was unique in my experience in that it exhibited these qualities across its full spectrum bandwidth of 18Hz - 20kHz and this makes it my new reference when comparing other loudspeakers in the future. The Jubilee reproduces sound in such a cohesive way that I really couldn’t describe or identify it as a 2-way loudspeaker but instead it truly reproduces sound as “One Complete Voice” for lack of a better description with no tell-tale indications of a crossover region or drivers/horns of dissimilar characters and I consider it as a new reference standard for me in this area as well.

One last but very important observation for me was how the Jubilee reproduction quality in the Lab Listening Room here in Hope (which I have been fortunate to experience many times now since 2006) wasn’t altered as much by being in or out of the corner versus my past experiences listening to the “Underground Jubilee” and other Klipsch Loudspeakers in this same room and this was equally true of the Listening Locations where reproduction was very close to equal in quality with the least variation from seat to seat that I have ever experienced in this room and totally surprised me.  

miketn

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

• Moderators

Thank you for that Miketn, that helps since I have not had a chance to hear them YET.

I also liked what you said about the 1954 Klipschorn. I say this because Craig and I went and picked them up from the chirch who donated them to us and brought them to the Feild House. We had no idea what to expect or if they even worked but wanted to try them. Even with one tweeter out I sat there quite shocked at how they sounded. My first thought was that you could buy this kind of quality of sound in 1954, I had no idea it was going to be that good. 

A difference from the newest model Klipschorn, sure of course, but considering 67 years of time in between it made me realize how everyone of the improvements along the way was a fight to improve a great original design.

Roy is a humble person and does not easily except how far he has advanced another one of PWK's ideas, but has made amazing improvements in many models.

It's true Roy, you deserve to be very proud of your work since when Mr Paul put some of the ideas in your head for you to work out.

He is smiling at you, you make him happy carrying on his dream further than he would have expected. 

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Sorry for the large bold type in my previous post which happened when I pasted from my notes and can’t find a way to edit the text size now.

Will also say, for those early adaptors well, there must be some or none concerns about  the latest version. Any concern should be dissapated.

After all, is said, a Jubilee.

A rose as sweet...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

Roy. 

7BA1D467-1A98-4F5B-8BF5-DDA489AE8524.png

Thank you for sharing this photo of Roy enjoying the Jubilee speakers. I like that he’s sitting in between two chairs to be centered. This photo shows a man appreciating a lot of hard work. Roy and everyone involved in producing them did great and I’m sure that’s apparent when listening to them. Congratulations to all who contributed to them, to one of Mr. Paul W Klipsch’s brilliant visionary passions and dreams that’s now here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, billybob said:

Will also say, for those early adaptors well, there must be some or none concerns about  the latest version. Any concern should be dissapated.

After all, is said, a Jubilee.

A rose as sweet...

I have a Great Appreciation for all the adopters of the “Underground Jubilee” who believed enough in the wisdom and vision of PWK and helped to keep it alive..!!!  I hope all of them appreciate this fact as well as the determination and dedication Roy has always shown since I have known him for PWK’s wisdom manifested originally in our “Underground Jubilee”.

Roy truly believes in PWK’s wisdom and knowledge and that it should continue and be developed now and well into the future as far as possible. Since I have known Roy I’ve seen this determination and I’ve heard him many times talk about his mentor and friend PWK and you can see all this manifested in the development of the new Jubilee and Roy’s dedication and efforts for the Klipsch Museum of Audio History (KHMA) where he hopes to pass that knowledge and wisdom to as many as possible.

“Underground Jubilee” will always represent something very special and unique in my way of thinking..!!!

miketn

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5