Guitars and more...

the real Duke Spinner

I had an 00-18 back in the late '60s.  It was a sweet guitar, too. Later had a '51 D-18, which has been passed on to my late wife's brother-in-law.

I like the single cutaway models. ES-175, 235. 140. Being more of an acoustic wannabe player, the hollow bodies are more what I can handle.

Your whole collection is nice.

I wonder what that D18 is worth now. Every Martin I’ve ever played and I mean only about 5 of them had a high action from the factory. Hard for me to chord. Even this 000-18 Id like to eventually have action lowered. I’ve got what I’m told is a pre war

125 arch top F holes that was owned by mr Louis Marcot who was in original Swing Kings later Boogie Kings. It’s the sweetest playing, huge single coil. He stuffed body with pillow case and packing peanuts to keep from feeding back as amps increased in power. It’s cased up but I will send a pic before long. Sorry I drone on so. I’m still stoked at having speakers back. I apologize. 
 kevin

The Gibson was close to top of the stack of cases so I went ahead and pulled it out. I hope head stock got in pic.  I loved the man I got it from and had the honor to have played with him at two dances back in mid 70’s. Those old players I’ve played with all had that clean ChetAtkins style. Even their faster chops were clean distinctive notes. Not blurred no unnecessary notes. Again I drone on sorry. 
 kevin

IMG_1650.jpeg

IMG_1651.jpeg

I had a 125T that got stolen out of my car, around '69-70, I think.

My Martin's had ok string height. The '63 D-28 I had was fine. The D-18 as well, and yes, it's worth quite a bit now. They were only $125 new in '51.

So... head over/down to the Lounge area and join the Guitars and more... section. We could probably get Travis to move some of these posts over to it.

@Travis In Austin

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

I have some other vintage Martins too that I must dispose of. I lost my ability to play due to severe arthritis in my hands.

I'm sorry to hear that, Mark. My best friend sent me a Martin D Jr, made in Mexico model. It's been so much fun I've been playing more every day. It's actually helped my hands loosen up more. Plus, it's been good for my soul and spirit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I'm sorry to hear that, Mark. My best friend sent me a Martin D Jr, made in Mexico model. It's been so much fun I've been playing more every day. It's actually helped my hands loosen up more. Plus, it's been good for my soul and spirit.

Of all my Martins i enjoyed playing the '54 00-18 the best. Played it everyday for hours---just because it is so good for the soul! I will miss it dearly, but life has to keep chugging on and a room full of unplayable guitars was going to be a drag!

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Kevin cornette said:

I wonder what that D18 is worth now. Every Martin I’ve ever played and I mean only about 5 of them had a high action from the factory. Hard for me to chord. Even this 000-18 Id like to eventually have action lowered. I’ve got what I’m told is a pre war
 kevin

it depends on what year and adornments your d18 has... is it Sitka or Adirondack? what bracing pattern? is it modified in anyway?

in as far as Martin set up goes, they come from the factory like that on purpose... CF Martin expects owners to modify their guitars to their liking and everyone's 'Liking' is different than anyone else's. what's more important when you buy a Martin is neck profile and not string height.