Guitars and more...

the real Duke Spinner

23 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I went to see Metallica this past weekend. Kirk Hammett plays that Les Paul “Greeny”. It sounds fantastic. Actually, all their guitars sound great. I am amazed how good they sound live. They didn’t have a single monitor on stage. 

Looks like we were at the same show,  I believe Cory Harrison was as well.

22 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Was this the show where there was some controversy with the general admission crowd and the line to get in? Some pushing and shoving ensued.

Not sure on the show you're thinking, but I was at Slipknot show around the time they started regulating general admission floor seats and a small riot broke out and the police were called in.  As Nickyboy had mentioned, I don't recall any issues at this one.

19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Not sure on the show you're thinking, but I was at Slipknot show around the time they started regulating general admission floor seats and a small riot broke out and the police were called in.  As Nickyboy had mentioned, I don't recall any issues at this one.

It was from Cory that I heard about this incident. A Metallica show a week or two ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Not saying there wasn’t one. I just didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. 
I always thought that all hell would break loose at Metallica shows, but in my experience, they’ve all been pretty laid back. 
I can tell I’m getting older though. We had pretty good seats. In my younger days I would have never sat and watched a show. I’d be on the floor. We made comments all show how nice it was to be in seats. I think I’m about ready to make the switch to white New Balance. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The '59 LP that I mentioned earlier, once owned by Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd, was bought by Jason Isbell from Carters Vintage Guitars. The guitar is in amazing shape in the video I saw of the guitar. Not many bumps or bruises at all. Pretty amazing compared to how some of those old guitars look. Isbell also has one of the Gibson reproductions of the 'Redeye', that he sometimes travels with when he doesn't want to pay for another seat to stow the guitar and it has to go as luggage.

He also said that, although the repro is a little lighter, he's fine with it on stage with the tone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Marvel said:

Give me your thoughts

I for one am worried about longevity and Humidity induced  fragility over time...

I have NO ISSUES with ANY existing forward shifted and scalloped bracing patterns that have existed for a century... I just can't see a need for skelentonizing. with existing bracing, you can see splits in the braces if there is trauma, with skelentonizing, how are you going to inspect all those little X patterns?

I am a simple guy, give me a double or triple ought with a slotted headstock, 1-3/4"+ nut, scalloped bracing and a Pyramid Bridge... everything else are variables... top wood, sides and back and embellishments.

one argument is that Violins have sculpted/skeletonized bridges and who's going to argue with Guarneri...

On 1/22/2024 at 5:49 PM, Marvel said:

Why? Give me your thoughts

They are combining the skeletonized braces with domestically sourced, sustainable tone woods. I wonder if the domestic tonewoods are heavier, needing reduced weight bracing.