Guitars and more...

the real Duke Spinner

25 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

They are combining the skeletonized braces with domestically sourced, sustainable tone woods. I wonder if the domestic tonewoods are heavier, needing reduced weight bracing.

I think in the videos I watched, they said the maple was a bit heavier. They said with what they have done has allowed more sustain as well as greater volume. They are using lasers to do the cutting so they can be more precise, and they are still strong. It's not like they are switching everything to that kind of bracing, but having a few models out there will be a good test drive for sure.

On 1/22/2024 at 6:25 PM, babadono said:

He ain't dead is he? Can't be hurting for money...why sell your guitars?

Maybe taking advantage of the current insane prices on rare items. I doubt he needs the money also. 

Lots of artist lately selling their entire music catalog, Springsteen sold his for 500m a few years ago. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here it is. The old with the new. And I'm not talking about ME. LOL

But, here is yours truly, with my new Fender Precision Bass Ukelele playing through what is arguably THEE Holy Grail of guitar amps, a 1959 Fender Bassman 5F6A.

This particular 1959 Fender Bassman amp has had only one owner, and he was a member of The Harmonicats. Yep, just used for harmonica all those years. AND, FWIW, the amp is going to be up for sale. Interested individuals can contact me and I can put you in touch with my friend (also a Harmonicat) who handling this part of the estate.

1959 Bassman80%.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

ask for Dean

I haven't finished the ask and the how. But, definitely get the purple one. Tell them that you listened to my PERFECT INFINITY ALBUM and that you came to buy. 

400 Purple guitars have been set aside for this project. T-shirts, Posters, Lacquered Vinyl, and a premium gift (one of Dean's Z-Glide guitars)

Edited by imeiamme
link

I picked up a couple of telecaster bodies off. Craigslist. Really only wanted one but ended up with two. You know how that goes. Previous owner had put an arm rest over the factory fender "road worn finish" where the wood was exposed. On the black one you can really see the two holes in the finish of the black sparkle paint.

I'm no woodworker or paint expert but can follow along to some videos online. Plus I needed a project in the final cold days before spring arrives. A shopping trip on Amazon for black glitter and Starbond super glue yielded pretty good results. New necknstyle for me. 12-in radius roasted Maple. Have only been playing it a little bit here Saturday morning and digging it so far.

Never having done it before. It was a bit nerve-racking when I started to sand the super glue drop finishes and an area about the size of my thumb around those tiny holes got all scratched up. 600 grit followed by 1500 2000 and 3000.... And finally meguire's scratch X polished her right back up. Touched up another by the bridge and on the top and bottom edge. Five or six chips in all. I'm more than pleased with the results.

Compress_20240302_101439_9775.jpg.4b9e244341c5b051940a1ed7d2316d98.jpg

Compress_20240302_101037_7086.thumb.jpg.99f1455aeda7e3124cd20fc5ec737fc4.jpg

Compress_20240302_101036_6827.thumb.jpg.d5dc550a2b14ff8a70b875609356ba80.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rplace said:

I picked up a couple of telecaster bodies off. Craigslist. Really only wanted one but ended up with two. You know how that goes. Previous owner had put an arm rest over the factory fender "road worn finish" where the wood was exposed. On the black one you can really see the two holes in the finish of the black sparkle paint.

I'm no woodworker or paint expert but can follow along to some videos online. Plus I needed a project in the final cold days before spring arrives. A shopping trip on Amazon for black glitter and Starbond super glue yielded pretty good results. New necknstyle for me. 12-in radius roasted Maple. Have only been playing it a little bit here Saturday morning and digging it so far.

Never having done it before. It was a bit nerve-racking when I started to sand the super glue drop finishes and an area about the size of my thumb around those tiny holes got all scratched up. 600 grit followed by 1500 2000 and 3000.... And finally meguire's scratch X polished her right back up. Touched up another by the bridge and on the top and bottom edge. Five or six chips in all. I'm more than pleased with the results.

Compress_20240302_101439_9775.jpg.4b9e244341c5b051940a1ed7d2316d98.jpg

Compress_20240302_101037_7086.thumb.jpg.99f1455aeda7e3124cd20fc5ec737fc4.jpg

Compress_20240302_101036_6827.thumb.jpg.d5dc550a2b14ff8a70b875609356ba80.jpg

Nice job!

I picked up an Ibanez Gio Strat style a few years ago for $20 that has a nickle sized chunk out of the finish. Unfortunately, the finish is about the thickness of a heavy guitar pick, a firemist periwinkle color, and I haven't figured out a way to repair it. I think I'm just going to have to try to strip it down to bare wood and paint it.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

I think I'm just going to have to try to strip it down to bare wood and paint it.

Watch this before you decide. If you can match the color/texture at all I bet you can get close with CA/super glue. I didn't realize you could polish. It. Seems to be used for a lot more than just gluing things together.

20 hours ago, rplace said:

Watch this before you decide. If you can match the color/texture at all I bet you can get close with CA/super glue. I didn't realize you could polish. It. Seems to be used for a lot more than just gluing things together.

Thanks! One of my issues, though, is that the chip goes all the way down to the base wood and I need to be able to patch the paint before filling. There is a General Motors firemist color that matches, but when I tried to find some, the best I could come up with was a quart at a body supply store and it was $65 five years ago. YIKES! The CA should allow me to fill the hole, then maybe I can figure out some sort of stripe I can add around the edge (sort of like a sunburst).

My plan is to replace the stock pickups with lipsticks, so a funky paint job might be just the thing. You've got me inspired!

Went to a concert at a church I used to attend. My retired, primary care doctor wrote songs using the psalms as the basis for each song. Had a seven piece acoustic group. All great musicians and song writers themselves, All, except my doc have toured with different artists or written for some. The offering went to support a puppet ministry, that started at that church and still travels around the world.

Afterwards I talked with Jason Armstrong, who I have not seen for probably 20+ years. He builds electrics for his company American Exotic Guitars.

https://americanexoticguitars.com/

He has some nice Tele models made from sassafras that are beautiful.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2024 at 7:36 PM, CWelsh said:

That looks like a very unique double necked Strat. 🤣

My back wouldn’t like that at all.

My favorite Strat is the black one up front. It's got a thinner alder body from a Squier affinity series Strat and a neck from a Korean made Squier II.

It also has an old set of Fender Custom Shop Texas Special pickups that were in the other Strat when I bought it.

• Like 1