Are RF 7s really comparable to classic lines like Heritage, Heresy on up?

Dr_jitsu

I was always under the impression that traditional Klipschorn speakers always had an edge, especially for music, to anything in the reference line, including the flagship RF 7s and rc 64. 

However I have been reading some reviews where people preferred the RF 7s. 

Am I reading things correctly? How do the more modern RF 7s compared to the classic speakers?

• Like 1

Very subjective topic as there isn't another set of ears like mine or yours. What sounds good to me may not to you. I had Khorns and didn't care for them in my room, preferred La Scala's. The RF line are fine speakers but are a different animal than the heritage line. I prefer Roy's cinema line (KI&KPT systems) over all others.

• Like 2

As rockhound said, speaker preference can be very subjective.  However, since you're asking for opinions, I'll give you mine for what it's worth.

I'm not a big fan of most of the 2-way Klipsch consumer speakers for serious listening.  However, it's not simply that that speaker is 2-way or 3-way.  In my opinion what sets Heritage and the other 3-way Klipsch apart from the 2-way Klipsch consumer lines is that more of the frequency range is covered by horn-loaded drivers.  My ears prefer the Klipsch speakers with the more of the frequency range covered by horn-loaded drivers.

In the Klipsch consumer lines of speakers, most of the 2-way speakers hand off from horns to cones in the range of 1200 Hz to as high as 2500 Hz. In contrast, the consumer line 3-way speakers (that are not fully horn-loaded) transition from horns to cones in a range of like 500 Hz to 850 Hz. This means that the consumer 3-way and fully horn-loaded speakers will have less distortion and better coverage control in the critical lower and middle region of the mid-range frequencies where the bulk of the musical and vocal action is. To my ears the 3-way Klipsch consumer speakers and the fully-horn-loaded ones (whether 3-way or 2-way like the Jubilee) sound more effortless, cleaner, less veiled, and more accurate in the mid-range. I call it the Klipsch "mid-range magic". So, over the years my serious listening systems have been made up of either Heritage series, the Forte family, 3-way Legend series, or Palladium series speakers. 

I think it all comes down to personal preference, and the room that the speakers are playing in . To me the Heritage stuff is superior , with the Lascala and Khorn  sounding really outstanding   in a larger room .I bought a pair of   RP 280f  for a small office room a while back, they  are no slouch , they are a very competent speaker  ,they sound really good and very clean  ,  I’m pretty sure that many would prefer these over lots of speakers  including some of the Heritage stuff  . People have wide ranges of taste when it comes to speakers , it’s the nature of the beast .

I’ve haven’t  heard the new RF7  but I have no doubt that they are also a very fine speaker and would appeal to many critical listeners.🤓

When I heard RF7's I was impressed by the fast articulation, like JBL 4312's, that quickly became irritating and then annoying.

Voiced to sell in a showroom I think, not to enjoy for decades in a living room.  I'll be keeping my Forte' II's and Quartets, thanks.

All great, just a bit different.  I don't think RF-7s are the most balanced speakers top to bottom but they sure have impact and dynamics.

Khorns are considered the signature speakers in the whole Klipsch line because of their balance.  Hence how they have stood the test of time.

Bill

10 hours ago, Dr_jitsu said:

This thread is still surprising to me, as I did not think RF 7's are in the same league.

This is all good, as I own a pair, LOL. I knew I liked hem for a reason.

I've had a couple pairs over the years and room acoustics equipment matching play a big role in how they sound like most speakers. I swapped the compression drivers on my last pair with Faital Pro's and thought that cleaned up the high end quite a bit although it took away a little bit of the warmth / forgiveness on certain tracks. Those speakers opened my eyes to the possibilities of higher quality / larger compression drivers which prompted my custom KPT-335 build with 2" exit mid drivers (k-69) on k-510 horns and I can tell you once you hear that it's very hard to go back to the smaller drivers. 

• Like 1