No tubes!

dirtmudd

Just adding fuel to the fire - I placed an order at Eurotubes over the weekend for some JJ tubes, just received an email indicating that while sufficient inventory exists, order volume is such that they're currently running a 3 - 4 week lead time on shipments.

Fortunately have 12 tube amplifiers at the present time with a box full of extra tubes. Not counting the tube preamplifiers I currently have. 

I have bought tubes from this guy for a number of years and have always been satisfied with price and shipping. Unfortunately it appears he is away for a few days. https://www.ebay.com/str/vacuumtubevalues

6 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

I’ve been collecting (hoarding as my wife says) tubes for 26 years. I’m good for the foreseeable future.

I have all I will need and then some LOL. for all my tube amps. The pair of Gold Lion 300B tubes I bought for the amp you built me went up 150.00 for the pair.

2 hours ago, rmlowz said:

What tubes does your new amp take? Just curious?

Hi, I am building the amp and as I work on the chassis and wait for the custom 100 watt output transformers to get here I have been breadboarding with some different output transformers, getting 80 watts from a pair of 6HJ5's now. I got some other sweep tubes I'll try (6JN6, 6GV5, 6JM6) but I want to wait for the actual output transformers to get here and hook them up before I settle.

I have a few amps out there with sweep tubes and I feel safe saying he shouldn't need to change them for at least 5 years with heavy use, some are coming to a decade with the same tubes still going strong so probably much longer. If people want I ship another matched quad as a spare for them so they don't need to look for tubes when the time comes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnW said:

Damn. I can’t find Gold Lion KT88s anywhere outside of Alibaba Express.

May be time to give JJ a try. 

I've used JJ tubes and they seem as good as the Sovtek's. I only had an issue with a 5AR4, but that seems to be one of their duds. 

The 5751 is very nice if you're looking for a quiet tube with less gain than a 12AX7.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

I read the town somewhere recently, can't remember, but China though. They are not rebranded Shuguang either.

I've had great luck with PSVane. Beautiful work.

26 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

I've used JJ tubes and they seem as good as the Sovtek's. I only had an issue with a 5AR4, but that seems to be one of their duds. 

The 5751 is very nice if you're looking for a quiet tube with less gain than a 12AX7.

Not sure why rectifiers are so hard. I just pay up for vntage when it comes to rectifiers. For instance the GZ34's never hold a candle to the original.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JohnW said:

Damn. I can’t find Gold Lion KT88s anywhere outside of Alibaba Express.

May be time to give JJ a try. 

I like the Shuguang KT88-98 better than the Gold Lion and you can get a quad for $150, there is not competition for price to performance and they hold up well in high power ultralinear amps that can eat through some of the current production KT88's like a fat kid at a candy store.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captainbeefheart said:

I like the Shuguang KT88-98 better than the Gold Lion and you can get a quad for $150, there is not competition for price to performance and they hold up well in high power ultralinear amps that can eat through some of the current production KT88's like a fat kid at a candy store.

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

This saved me a buncha money today.

wish I could afford to patronize Upscale Audio.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnW said:

This saved me a buncha money today.

wish I could afford to patronize Upscale Audio.

I was in a bit of panic mode yesterday but was able to find a matched quad of EL-84m Sovtek's for my soon to arrive Carver VTA-20 figured better be safe than sorry half the tube store sites were completely shut down the rest are out of stock on a lot of items I had to search through pages and pages of search results to find a dealer with a set in stock. Looked a bit at new 12ax7 tubes seems there's no shortage of $200-$600 tubes out there not sure which ones to buy.