Klipsch Jubilee

henry4841

14 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

Me

Bring it back with a nice paint job, put a passive in it, and make some money. Use the name and the story behind it. 

The new one is killer, but too big and too expensive for but a few. Just my 50 cents worth. 

• Like 2

What I want to see Klipsch do for the Jubilee is provide a "white glove" delivery and setup service for the Jubilee.  For a fee, at delivery they would get them into your home, setup, and tested.  I know I would have definitely paid for that.

• Like 1

Wouldn't a service like that typically be provided by the retailer (or their local representative) and not by the manufacturer.

I believe for their expensive systems, a JBL retailer will have some sort of "factory trained" tech come out and do the setup (including a digital room correction). All this comes with a fee of course. 

I'm not sure all that much hand holding needs to be done to get these up and running. Will your vendor/dealer help out via the phone or Zoom if you need to fine tune things?

20 minutes ago, MMurg said:

What I want to see Klipsch do for the Jubilee is provide a "white glove" delivery and setup service for the Jubilee.  For a fee, at delivery they would get them into your home, setup, and tested.  I know I would have definitely paid for that.

4 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I'm not sure all that much hand holding needs to be done to get these up and running.

Imaging buying a grand piano for $30,000+ and it being delivered to and left out on your driveway.

• Like 3

Isn't that all part of the delivery fee?

Yes, if the piano was left in the driveway, I would be on the phone immediately (of course, anyone would).

Unless I am mistaken, these are being sold by a retailer and not directly by the manufacturer (although they might be drop-shipped) from the factory, I assume). Am I wrong on this assumption?

I am sympathetic to the buyer. He has been waiting for about a year to get these.  Has the retailer been making excuses and sitting on his money the entire time?  It is a fair question and someone mumbling something about "supply chain" is not much of an answer.

I think he deserved better service, especially at these prices.

The good news is that soon he will be enjoying the speakers in all their glory. The memory of the process will soon fade.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Isn't that all part of the delivery fee?

Yes, if the piano was left in the driveway, I would be on the phone immediately (of course, anyone would).

Unless I am mistaken, these are being sold by a retailer and not directly by the manufacturer (although they might be drop-shipped) from the factory, I assume). Am I wrong on this assumption?

I am sympathetic to the buyer. He has been waiting for about a year to get these.  Has the retailer been making excuses and sitting on his money the entire time?  It is a fair question and someone mumbling something about "supply chain" is not much of an answer.

I think he deserved better service, especially at these prices.

The good news is that soon he will be enjoying the speakers in all their glory. The memory of the process will soon fade.

Delivery was included in the price of the speakers.  But that just means freight delivery to my house because they are not local.  Also, these are being directly shipped from Klipsch.  The carrier will get them as far as my garage.  It's up to me to get them inside and set up.  It's been that way with everything I have ordered from them.  I don't think any of the Underground Jubilee that my dealer has shipped were treated any differently.

I don't blame the dealer for any of the delays or the handling issue.  I'm sorry I brought this up.

Excellent...now we know you have a safe.....  exactly what room did you say you have it in?  I'm asking for a friend...  [emoji185]
Have at it, the safe cost so much I can't afford to put anything in it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2022 at 12:25 PM, Crankysoldermeister said:

Bring it back with a nice paint job, put a passive in it, and make some money. Use the name and the story behind it. 

The new one is killer, but too big and too expensive for but a few. Just my 50 cents worth. 

It's probably not good business to have a speaker in your line that can outperform any other speaker you sell to the consumer market that costs thousands less than the AL5 let alone the AK6 that it superceded... even though it isn't a direct replacement for the Klipschorn.

I think the UJ is like a rare unicorn that only existed for a very short period of time and in extremely limited quantities and will never be heard from again. The factory built folded bass bin alone was worth the price of admission even if the new venting system is a better ultimate performer.

Once you move it to the consumer side you can price it like a Klipschorn. It will be for those that either don't have room or can't afford the +$30K price tag of the Jubilee. People will always gravitate to the Klipschorn and La Scala because of their furniture grade finish. The Underground Jubilee would be for those willing to let go of that in lieu of some additional performance. It was just a thought.

• Like 3

On 7/3/2022 at 3:25 PM, Crankysoldermeister said:

I already tried to put a passive in a jube-like clone that one of their pro dealers had me try to optimize, using a Golden Jubilee as a reference. There's not enough AIR Volume in the back chamber to make a passive work in that Horn. Waste of time, as I'm guessing Roy already tried and gave up on it too, and came up with the "75" version instead, where he basically put a Cornwall like volume inside that horn to make it work down low.

58 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I already tried to put a passive in a jube-like clone that one of their pro dealers had me try to optimize, using a Golden Jubilee as a reference. There's not enough AIR Volume in the back chamber to make a passive work in that Horn. Waste of time, as I'm guessing Roy already tried and gave up on it too, and came up with the "75" version instead, where he basically put a Cornwall like volume inside that horn to make it work down low.

Claude, You make it sound like the (underground) Jubilee was a failure. It was not. It is a very good speaker. Many of us, myself included, were never concerned about whether the balancing network was active or passive. In fact Roy had developed some passive networks for the Jubilee. I don't know that many folks used them.

As far as employing a drone to vent the speaker, I recall that Roy stated there was still work to be done on that. Several of us were by the asked by the vendor to contribute to that effort. I did not join in since a modification of a Klipsch model will probably never see the light of day anyway. Quite frankly if Roy said it was a tricky thing to accomplish, then who am I to disagree? Roy is smarter than I am. 

Hmmmm,  Whatever happened to that vendor  anyway?

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 9:02 PM, PrestonTom said:

Claude, You make it sound like the (underground) Jubilee was a failure. It was not.

I had a well built clone pair for about a year, well built with a gorgeous finish, applying Roy's settings with 32 Hz. boosts. They sounded great. I don't know where you got the impression that I thought they were a failure, other than I tried adding a passive in a clone pair, and that was a failure. The original UJ was terrific.

4 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Quite frankly if Roy said it was a tricky thing to accomplish, then who am I to disagree? Roy is smarter than I am. 

Roy was right. There simply was not enough air in the back chamber to create low frequencies below 60 Hz. Corner loading helped that but was no better with a passive radiator than without, so not worth it IMHO.

I think you are putting words into Roy's mouth.

Roy did mention a prototype where the bass bin had a drone feeding into the horn portion (along with the woofers). This was back in 2000 approximately. It has been awhile, but I believe the synopsis was that 1) greater low frequency extension and 2) greater efficiency (greater efficiency translated to lower distortion). The take home message, IIRC, was that the drone did provide an improvement. Sounds worth it to me! I believe PWK was aware of this approach and was positive about it. However, for some reason, it still needed more fine-tuning. Events changed and the project (in that form) was put on the shelf. This is what I was told. My memory is a bit shaky and I am not willing to speculate about the specifics of Roy's thinking.