Maybe You Have A Juicy Question?

On 6/16/2023 at 12:26 PM, Rex Everything said:

6DJ8/6922 vs 6H30

Any experience or thoughts on the 6DJ8/6922 tube vs the 6H30 Super Tube in the BBX?

I've got the info to convert mine from 6922 to 6H30 and have been considering it but wanted some opinions from members here who may have experience with both.

TIA!

Thoughts on the 6922 vs 6H30 in the BBX...?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I just found this thread and am reading with fascination:  I'd love to find a JMBB some day.  My daily driver is another of your designs; a Paragon System E.  I've had it since the late 1970s and other than building a new PS because the old stopped functioning, it's pretty much as I found it.  I think it was modified by a previous owner.  The volume control is a stepped-switch, matched-resistor type.  Also, were all the signal path caps bypassed with polystyrene originally?

Anyway, I thought @RealMarkDeneen might enjoy knowing at least one of these is still out here making music.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 8:44 AM, tigerdog said:

I just found this thread and am reading with fascination:  I'd love to find a JMBB some day.  My daily driver is another of your designs; a Paragon System E.  I've had it since the late 1970s and other than building a new PS because the old stopped functioning, it's pretty much as I found it.  I think it was modified by a previous owner.  The volume control is a stepped-switch, matched-resistor type.  Also, were all the signal path caps bypassed with polystyrene originally?

Anyway, I thought @RealMarkDeneen might enjoy knowing at least one of these is still out here making music.

WOW---I am amazed! I loved the System-E. We sold those for about $495 and they were insanely great sounding. It has the same phono section as the Paragon Model 12, but we simplified the line stage greatly and got rid of the tone controls.

Every now and then I hear from a Paragon owner - usually they are in Europe. So glad to hear you are enjoying it. I have not seen one with my own eyes since 1980. The System-E was the first commercial preamp I designed. 

If you ever find a "BlueBerry Xtreme", I'll be happy to restore it for you. Look for the later model in black metal chassis.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

Mark

Hey Babadono---

I turned 75 last October.  Yup, still out in the desert where I imagine I will someday just walk out into the 120-degree heat and become part of the landscape of bleached bones in the Mojave Preserve.

People Chow is still a dream - HOWEVER, I do eat incredibly simple foods in very modest amounts. My menu has about 12 - items on it, which is in some way consistent with the People Chow idea. But when I first worked on P.C. it was 1993 and I was mostly using "carbs" to make the mix. UGH! I am almost a zero-carb guy now. "All you need is meat!"

I'm hibernating for the dang winter here. I'm freezing in this 50-degree weather. Can't wait for that 100-degree mark which usually comes in early May.

Keeping busy with speaker projects and my very newest "entertainment" of restoring 70's era receivers. Little damn jewels they are!

Happy New Year, Amigo!

Mark

• Like 4

On 1/1/2024 at 3:01 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

Hey Babadono---

I turned 75 last October.  Yup, still out in the desert where I imagine I will someday just walk out into the 120-degree heat and become part of the landscape of bleached bones in the Mojave Preserve.

People Chow is still a dream - HOWEVER, I do eat incredibly simple foods in very modest amounts. My menu has about 12 - items on it, which is in some way consistent with the People Chow idea. But when I first worked on P.C. it was 1993 and I was mostly using "carbs" to make the mix. UGH! I am almost a zero-carb guy now. "All you need is meat!"

I'm hibernating for the dang winter here. I'm freezing in this 50-degree weather. Can't wait for that 100-degree mark which usually comes in early May.

Keeping busy with speaker projects and my very newest "entertainment" of restoring 70's era receivers. Little damn jewels they are!

Happy New Year, Amigo!

Mark

People Chow ,??

Soylent Green ??

• Haha 1

Bruce, David - - Thanks for letting me know your "Juices" are still flowing! Nice setup David. The Duke still reigns!

Duke Spinner - People Chow was a project I worked on in the 90s. It occurred to me that most people feed their dogs the exact same food every day. I thought if that worked for dogs, maybe it would work for humans too. Why not have the "perfect nutrition" every day instead of monking around with a million different foods - many of them bad for you.  So, I began concocting ingredients into a mix that could be stored easily, carried easily, and eaten without utensils - aka People Chow. It was of course 1/2 joking, 1/2 theater for my friends, and 1/2 serious attempt at simplifying my life living in an Airstream trailer on the beach in Half Moon Bay.

Happy New Year to you all! This begins my 23rd year on the K-forum. Ha Ha, I don't know what to think of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Happy New Year to you all! This begins my 23rd year on the K-forum. Ha Ha, I don't know what to think of that.

Happy New Year, Mark! I'm almost a newbie compared to you and who knew you were an excellent photo artist???😎 Heck, I enjoyed the 15 years of "tell me what you really think" days but everything, everywhere has calmed down since then. Lol as the kids say. 

• Like 1

Zen,

There have been several phases in my 23 years here and so many guys that have gone missing over the years. There was a speaker building phase, vintage Tube Amp phase, arguing over analog v. digital phase, a couple phases, the Juicy phase, the really bad phase and now a retirement phase--🥸. I hope i make it to 25 years before the lights go out! 
Hope you and yours have a wonderful new year! 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 12:01 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

Hey Babadono---

Happy New Year, Amigo!

Mark

Thanks Mark. Happy New Year to you too. I think since I am quoting you, you will get notified/see this. But in the future if you want to alert someone you have quote one of their posts or do this @RealMarkDeneen with the @ sign.

I stumbled onto your post by accident.

Carry on....

• Like 2

Mark,

Good to see you are strolling in here now and then! I have a blast from the past piece of Paragon System E documentation (User Manual, Service bulletin on balance control with instructions, hand drawn grounding scheme diagram and full Schematic) I bet you'd love to look over and forward to people that might contact you about the System E. I swear the hand drawn and written pages is your hand writing.  Shoot me an email with your current email and I'll send it back to you.  craig@nosvalves.com

Craig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Deang said:

Before the invention of the printing press. 

Heck it makes the manuals I did for my products fresh and modern! I love the hand drawn schematic and other drawing that I bet a dime to a dollar were penciled in by the audio god himself! Cool stuff! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 7:17 PM, Marvel said:

Mark, I'm still enjoying my Merlin. I've not got the nerve to change from the 6DJ8 to the 6H30.

It works great with the Duke.

The Duke was always an enjoyable read.

If I ever find an old Crown....

• Like 1