Are Class D Amps Fatiguing ?

Racer  X

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

Just curious... what is a 'huge' electricity bill? Might be food for another thread.

Gawd, Don't get me started, had to renew 2 year contract, new rate 2X old, and also summer.  Otherwise one stingy person not using much juice.

Heresy 1  or if you find a super deal  ,  a pair of 70's khorns  

yes you can have a great   rack , SS amp , preamp , DAC , Spotify , HiRes Files ,  TT  , but if the  speakers you have  dont  sound like  the 70's or the 80's ,,,,,,,just saying 

15 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Interesting, my comparison with my music choices showed 320 kps mp3 very comparable to CD.

Believe your key modifier may be uncompressed, not sure if that actually exists.

Sure it does. Tidal and Qobuz stream at 16/44, 24/48, 24/96, and 24/192 quality. All of these files are FLAC, so they unfold to be uncompressed at full bit rate.

Well jeepers, those don't sound like CDs.  Sampled some hi res an audio buddy gave me on a hard drive, maybe I didn't listen long, hard enough.

Most popular pop music is fine at mp3 resolution (although I could not help noticing that record guy gush about Mofi vinyl Abraxas and Thriller, whatever...)

Believe Youtube superior delivery vehicle and will ultimately rule the world.

If you make an mp3 with a file with reasonable dynamic range, set the record level for -18dbfs. That gives the encoder some room to work with the file and they can be almost indistinguishable from the CD. Quite surprising, really.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Marvel said:

If you make an mp3 with a file with reasonable dynamic range, set the record level for -18dbfs. That gives the encoder some room to work with the file and they can be almost indistinguishable from the CD. Quite surprising, really.

But "lossy data compression resulting in small file size of acceptable fidelity" per the wikipedia.

The proof is in the pudding, and your mileage may vary....

7 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Before you look at any upgrades on the equipment front, you should improve your source material. Better gear won't matter if you are listening to lossy music.

I find that subject confusing to say the least. Then again I still enjoy vinyl. :D I have a copy of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here I bought wayyy back then. Called an import at the record store. Turns out to be a sought after pressing made in the UK. I always thought it sounded great.

3 hours ago, Edgar said:

CD data rate is 1411.2 kbps. So 384 kbps is a compression ratio of 3.675:1. FLAC can get you 2:1 without losing any information. So why bother with MP3 at 384 kbps?

File size reasonable, easy to manage

Easy to find, and free to download at that resolution

All the hip new music available instantaneously as MP3

MP3s sound same as CD for the pop music I favor

26 minutes ago, Racer X said:

No argument with that, except possibly for the file size, because storage has become so cheap.

I was on the MPEG1 Audio committee in the early 1990s, and had a hand in its development. At the time, storage was limited and bandwidth was expensive. We never foresaw an age when teraBytes and gigabits per second would be available for anything less than a king's ransom, let alone at Best Buy. How times change.

BTW, I was once involved in a blind listening test with MPEG Audio Layer 1 at 384 kbps and Layer 2 at 256 kbps. A track with which I was very familiar was played, sometimes original CD, sometimes MP1, sometimes MP2. My job was to determine whether the particular version being played was CD or not CD. In eleven trials, I was correct eleven times.

MP3 uses better compression than MP1 or MP2, and encoding techniques have improved in the last thirty years, so I probably could not duplicate the feat. Still, it was a gratifying experience for me.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Someone was knocking youtube awhile back for only being 192kb? There's some very good quality music there IMO.

A guy on another forum sent out a CD several years ago with two copies of 5 different songs; one in FLAC  and one at 256kb everything level matched only 2 out of maybe 10 people could tell the difference I wasn't one of them. 

• Like 1

Yes, exactly.  Gather the Youtube is 192 kb, but converter I use up samples to 320 kb.  For me, 192 passable, but highest resolution 320 sounds fine, even if upsampled.

As for music choice, every single piece of music in my vinyl collection could be found on the Youtube, including the bootlegs.  Also, when a Japanese idol I follow drops a new cover song each week, I see it hours after it was posted.  Occasionally records could be turned around quite quickly, but nothing like the net.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Gather the Youtube is 192 kb, but converter I use up samples to 320 kb. 

Exactly how does it do that? Once information is lost, it is lost forever, and increasing the bit rate does not increase the information content.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 3:30 PM, jjptkd said:

Don't have a lot of experience with class D had a few Topping PA5's running for awhile I didn't consider them fatiguing, kind of sterile maybe. For the price they actually surprised me they did sound pretty good, clean with a decent sized sound stage which I didn't expect, can only imagine how good the higher end class D amps sound.  

I have Bruno's Masterpieces the 400's I built from kits. Non fatiguing. Never shut them off as they only draw 5 mW each. Shut of the inputs, but not the power amps.

• Like 1