Maple Leaf? (what kind of tree is this from?)

Coytee

Have a tree I needed to down.  Tree showed some damage at the base of it that was turning black.  Would fall over sooner or later.  Dug root-ball, pushed tree over and now, danger is over.  Looking at the leaf though, I'm wondering if this is a Maple of some kind?  If so, I might cut to logs and have it taken to sawmill so it can be cut into some boards.

This is not the kind of Maple that I grew up with but that's what it strikes me as being, anyone know?  I heard rumor from Roy there is a free pair of Jubilee's for the right answer!

Tree is probably near 80+ feet tall just eyeballing it.  Maybe 20-24 inches diameter.  Hardly a branch for 50' then the canopy is after that so it it IS a (good type to be cut into lumber) Maple, then it's very clean.

1311433573_Leaf2.jpg.2621ed72fd9bd46302cdba348008bf94.jpg 

• Like 1

I thought it was one of the maples at first glace as well. I did pull up Tulip tree and this does look to be one.

With some drying you should be able to pull some nice lumber out it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron_tulipifera

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulipwood

Strong and light weight, it is supposed to be good for furniture, planking and flooring.

Dang!  I've been looking for a couple weeks.  I agree, it appears to be a Tuplip tree other than I don't think I've ever seen blooms or flowers but admit....I've never looked!

Is it worth the effort/cost to be cut into 1x? lumber or am I better off dragging it to the burn pile and put my $$ into cutting the several white oak and dozen or so red oaks that fell from the storm?  The Oaks are probably 2-3 times the girth and very clean too.

(primarily red oak, one known white oak and one known poplar, otherwise, I've not really looked too close as it's a maze of 'gotcha's' with the trees/branches/holes, I focus more on where my foot is than the wood)

Fallen.thumb.jpg.f6fa0160d208674c04b6da23985e9a9f.jpg

Cluster.thumb.jpg.534b04b7a260d37f24363eb85e2f96c1.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

If it has to be removed then timber and be safe.

It's already down.  One of the niceties of owning an industrial backhoe/loader that will dig 15 1/2' deep or reach out something like 21'.  There are maybe 4-5 other identical trees but this was the big one.  We're looking to build a detached garage and these trees need to go.  I'm about 1/4-1/3 done.  Uproot them, take to burn pile and am going to be having a large weenie roast down the road.  (I need to get it burning to shrink the pile, it's starting to get quite large with entire trees being put into it)

• Like 1

Probably worth having cut. If you don't use it right away you still have it on hand down the road. From what I've read it doesn't make the best firewood.

Lumber is expensive and doesn't grow on trees anymore. Pun intentional.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

It's already down.  One of the niceties of owning an industrial backhoe/loader that will dig 15 1/2' deep or reach out something like 21'.  There are maybe 4-5 other identical trees but this was the big one.  We're looking to build a detached garage and these trees need to go.  I'm about 1/4-1/3 done.  Uproot them, take to burn pile and am going to be having a large weenie roast down the road.  (I need to get it burning to shrink the pile, it's starting to get quite large with entire trees being put into it)

Just walked up there again with my brother in law and a tape measure.  The White Oak tree has a bifurcation in it.....  30' from the root ball and it's (by eyeballing the tape) 24" diameter.  THEN, each of the bifurcated sections are still large/thick enough for some extra goodies.

This really is the one I've got my eyeballs on.  Now that I know what the leaf above is, some of the other trees that I presumed are/were red oak....  turns out they are this tulip (Poplar?) as well.  So there is a bunch of it.  Plenty of widow makers up there too....  branches up high hung up....  couple entire trees that are leaning & being held by another tree.  

Company next door....  I'm out of town all week....  I think we're due for rain next weekend.  Sigh, seems like it won't be until September that I'll be able to touch this stuff.

8 hours ago, Coytee said:

I've been looking for a couple weeks.  I agree, it appears to be a Tuplip tree other than I don't think I've ever seen blooms or flowers but admit....I've never looked!

We've got one in our backyard. Ours has blossoms like the attached pic.

Screenshot_20230409-211340_Firefox~2.jpg

• Like 1

Good almost white colored hardwood. If a twister takes the top off of it the inside will rot out! and become a dangerous thing

Look in the fall for the wood roses where the blossoms were!!

This was a great climbing tree in the 70s, the twister came out of Hugo in `89. Lost 60 trees that night!

IMAG0004.jpg

Those were some mean bees up there!

See where the trunk is gone at about the eighth rung of that 20 footer?

IMG-20130808-141552.jpg

• Like 1

Took me a bit of searching, I found a picture I dialed in on so you can see what those "tulips" look like from the fall until the next bloom almost. Double click or open image/link in another tab, it's still big! These were saplings I dug up and put in the front yard to replace the shade lost when the silver maples had to come down. Tulip Poplars grow very fast!

Untitled.png

• Like 1