Older vs newer Klipsch, new member.

1 hour ago, Fido said:

Trying to live my life more humble with far less ego. 🤪but those Super Heresey1s following your instructions turned out pretty damned nice. I bought the Forte IVs with my credit card and when the bill came my wife paid for them from some work bonus she got so I saved my heresey sales $$$ for the new horn subs chief bonehead is introducing soon.  

how life treating you

Like the Country song said: "It's hard to be humble when your perfect in every way." LOL.

But we do the best we can, aye?

Started going back to Canon Mirrorless from Sony because the DSLr glass works so, I use both since I can fit Canon glass on my Sony's. Trying to Unretire back into Engineering (too hard to earn $$ fromf photography, which is 1/10rh ro 1/3 of what we used to make). The iPhone took the magic out of the craft and there are Trillions of crap images being made too easily. I just taught 3 lighting classes in Chicago for Free and all everyone wanted to do is photograph my 17 models once the LED  lights were set up for them (no flash sync. to worry about when teaching). They used their cameras just like an iPhone and didn't want to know anything technical, even though I showed perfect prints of my work from SOOC Jepegs. But that's the new generation we are stuck with.

To get back to the OP, welcome to the world of dynamic realism in sound of Klipsch! It's a great disease to have, and you will never find a cure for it. Nor will you try. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@ClaudeJ1 that story reminds me of one of the art profs in college.  Toward the end of the quarter he brought in some live model who posed nude sitting on a turnstile up front.  EVERY guy on the planet signed up for that course.  You could turn her on the turnstile but no touchy or instant fail.  hahaha

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

@ClaudeJ1 that story reminds me of one of the art profs in college.  Toward the end of the quarter he brought in some live model who posed nude sitting on a turnstile up front.  EVERY guy on the planet signed up for that course.  You could turn her on the turnstile but no touchy or instant fail.  hahaha

Fail would be OK. 😀😀

• Haha 2

On 8/9/2023 at 10:54 AM, henry4841 said:

Well said. Any old Heritage was outstanding sounding when built. I do not see how that could have changed if everything still working as should. Newer Heritage, different sound many might call better then perhaps others not. PWK liked what he heard. 

I just wanted to expand on my personal thoughts on this subject of old vs new. Every person that changed anything on a Heritage speaker thought they improved the sound or there would not have been a change. Being that the Khorn and LaScala have been around so long there was many changes over the years, decades. I am almost positive some areas have been improved. The frequency response I am sure has gotten flatter. That said a ruler flat frequency response curve does not mean it is going to sound better being there is the matter of the materials in the drivers affecting the sound. For instance titanium vs phenolic diaphragm. The trend in home drivers leans towards the phenolic as being somewhat smoother sounding with the titanium being more for pro use. This is not to say either cannot be used in both cases, home vs pro use. Roy and his team are increasing the size of the driver in many cases as well as changes in the horn. Completely new drivers and horns are now being incorporated in the K-horn and LaScala along with the Cornwall. 

I would go out on a limb and say Roy and his team think there latest Heritage speakers are the best sounding of any of predecessors. As always though, being sound is so subjective, many might prefer the old sound over the new one if a comparison was made. But I am sure if given the facts most would prefer the new speaker over an old designed one.

Another way of ending this thread is to say "an old Klipsch speaker is better than none at all."

• Like 2

If you are a purist in which only klipsch can make changes then buy the newest heritage speaker you can afford.

If you can imagine making changes on your own then go for it. I am in that group, I have a pair of 1987 set of La Scala's . These were purchased from a garage and looked very beat up, deep scars and scratches were on all surfaces. One woofer was working but damaged, the tweeters were different, the squakers were the only good and original parts.

I went with all new Crites drivers and their new  A4500 crossovers.  I also added 1/2 inch MDF to all sides of the speakers, newest La Scala's have 1 inch sides, then put a veneer for looks.

Was there a difference Yes, unmodified was very LIVE like the bars and dance halls of my youth where La Scala's were hung from the ceiling in pairs or quads.

the modified ones are much more refined, more like the competing high end speakers in the market.  Yes it still has the La Scala sound, and ability to project a solid center stage. Would I do it again, absolutely.

Just like cars, original is the best that the accounts allowed to be built at the time, that is why there is an after market for both cars and speakers.  Just my opinion

Remember it is about enjoying the music, not analyzing your equipment

• Like 1

Or in other words from what Chief said if you want to hear what the sound engineers at Klipsch liked best at the time your speakers were built stay with authorized parts for replacements.  

Personally I like the concept of simple as it seems PWK did as well. PWK designed crossovers were as simple as one can build with just as few parts as were absolutely necessary. The A crossover network is a work of art. In the AA network a couple of extra parts were added in the tweeter section to protect it better from idiots listening too loud. I like simple. Those steep crossovers an after market vendor sells can suck the life out of the music as many say. In fact a member of this forum just posted pretty much the very same thing after purchasing those expensive networks. Family said he ruined the sound of his speakers. Lot more complicated with many more parts as well. 

I am curious why Klipsch has not gone with active crossovers in the K-horn, LaScala, and Cornwall as done with the new Jubilee. Many prefer active X-overs over passive ones these days. At the asking price of those speakers the cost would not be that great going active on them. 

One man’s fix is another man’s ruin . It takes specialized engineering and a keen sense  of hearing to modify and actually improve these speakers . Most mods will degrade the  sound quality , as in a tweeter swap from the  above source .  Words like “updated” and “modified” are used loosely to imply that   improvements have been made to the sound  of their speakers  , but have they really achieved that goal ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom05 said:

One man’s fix is another man’s ruin . It takes specialized engineering and a keen sense  of hearing to modify and actually improve these speakers . Most mods will degrade the  sound quality , as in a tweeter swap from the  above source .  Words like “updated” and “modified” are used loosely to imply that   improvements have been made to the sound  of their speakers  , but have they really achieved that goal ? 

One thing for sure if using non authorized parts is a different sound from what the engineers designed into the speaker system. And that is what our speakers truly are. A speaker system and not just one speaker in a cabinet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Neighbors cranked a chainsaw early.. Cranked my CF-1 with my Luxman...dang near 90 db.

All is quiet now...lol.

I’m waiting for my neighbors to have another party. They usually have a tent and a big PA. I’m gonna roll the LSIs outside. 

• Haha 1