Electric Riding Mowers?

JJkizak

• JJkizak changed the title to Electric Riding Mowers?

We are three seasons in with a Ryobi 42 inch, 100 Ah zero turn. Cutting a shade under 4 acres which it cannot achieve in one charge.

This is an older model at this point using 4x very large lead acid boat type batteries. It’s kept on the supplied charger 24/7. The mower itself, motors, controls have been flawless. A year in it wouldn’t hold charge and cut for more than a half hour. Ryobi CS attributed this to one bad battery in series and replaced all four at no charge. Delivered by truck on a pallet and it’s a couple hour job but doable.

And once again Randy, the expert on each and every topic, is talking out his ***. You do not “just keep a couple spare batteries “ and throw ‘em in randomly. This is not a AA flashlight battery.  The newer lithium powered mowers use a much smaller battery using up to six batteries. The price of all E mowers have increased dramatically in the three short years I’ve owned mine. 

On 6/20/2023 at 2:58 PM, richieb said:

We are three seasons in with a Ryobi 42 inch, 100 Ah zero turn. Cutting a shade under 4 acres which it cannot achieve in one charge.

This is an older model at this point using 4x very large lead acid boat type batteries. It’s kept on the supplied charger 24/7. The mower itself, motors, controls have been flawless. A year in it wouldn’t hold charge and cut for more than a half hour. Ryobi CS attributed this to one bad battery in series and replaced all four at no charge. Delivered by truck on a pallet and it’s a couple hour job but doable.

And once again Randy, the expert on each and every topic, is talking out his ***. You do not “just keep a couple spare batteries “ and throw ‘em in randomly. This is not a AA flashlight battery.  The newer lithium powered mowers use a much smaller battery using up to six batteries. The price of all E mowers have increased dramatically in the three short years I’ve owned mine. 

zero turn Ryobi  mower with 2 or 3 .....80 V batteries ,     you can increase  run time on the fly with additional 40 Volt batteries  .

once again ,  Richie, the expert on each and every topic , is talking out his ***   ,  You can  " keep a couple spare  batteries “ and throw ‘em in randomly  .

Randy 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-80V-HP-Brushless-30-in-Battery-Electric-Cordless-Zero-Turn-Riding-Mower-with-2-80V-10-Ah-Batteries-and-Charger-RYRM8010/318754556

On 6/20/2023 at 4:21 PM, OO1 said:

zero turn Ryobi  mower with 2 or 3 .....80 V batteries ,     you can increase  run time on the fly with additional 40 Volt batteries  .

once again ,  Richie, the expert on each and every topic , is talking out his ***   ,  You can  " keep a couple spare  batteries “ and throw ‘em in randomly  .

Randy 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-80V-HP-Brushless-30-in-Battery-Electric-Cordless-Zero-Turn-Riding-Mower-with-2-80V-10-Ah-Batteries-and-Charger-RYRM8010/318754556

I assume you misspelled your own name - let me help - R A N D Y // 0 0 1 // C L O W N 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

What's wrong with Gas ??

And Where do people think Electricity comes from. ??

Couldn't her from BURNING FOSSIL FUELS could it. 🙄

Wait until the next Ice Age when the worlds 10 billion people are all trying to live in Australia and Argentina. They'll be begging for global warming.

It's all about the Benjamins......and power..so be a good little serf  and STFU

• Like 3

Now when they start talking hydrogen fuel cells, then I'll start paying attention.

Right now all of those electric cars/mowers/scooters/etc. are mostly powered by coal and nuclear plants... unless you have your OWN solar array on your property that recharges your things. (Only a small percentage of my Comed power comes from renewable)

Check out the Toyota Mirai... the 2nd generation actually looks pretty sharp and it's Hydogen fuel cell technology.  Sure, it takes some power to create the hydrogen... but you don't have millions of spent batteries to dispose of or other countries to rely on for essential raw materials for batteries.  ...or cars on fire that can't be easily extinguished because of burning batteries.

https://www.toyota.com/mirai/

• Like 4

18 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Breathe

Breathe in the air...

Don't be afraid to care

Too bad nowadays the mantra is "be afraid to think logically"

Can we get to 100% renewable energy...maybe

Is it worth trying to do...of course.

Can it be done tomorrow or by waving a wand(or passing a law). NOPE.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Too bad nowadays the mantra is "be afraid to think logically"

Can we get to 100% renewable energy...maybe

Is it worth trying to do...of course.

Can it be done tomorrow or by waving a wand(or passing a law). NOPE.

Exactly.

• Like 3

It’s hard to fight progress . The battery powered stuff  has improved tremendously .Yea  I love my gas stuff, but battery powered equipment can definitely be the way to go in many situations . It’s not just a matter of being more environmentally friendly , which they are , (since only about 60 percent of generated electricity comes  from fossil fuels ) Much of the time battery powered is  just the best tool for the job , and  that’s  the real reason why people buy them . Many home owners just don’t  want to fool around with gas engines ,deal with the maintenance , they  may have trouble starting them  ,   can’t fix them , or don’t want to . They want to grab and go , get the job done , then sit back and listen to the music from their Klipsch speakers 🤓

• Like 3