Another DIY Belle (clone)

AudioSlave

Hey, y'all... been a member here for a few years, but a while since I last posted. This forum started for me  back when I built a set of custom cornscalas with a curved sided bass bin, similar in size/shape to the Volti offering, only in a bass reflex ported config, tri-amped and active.

Had those for a couple of years then moved to the Linkwitz 521.4 open baffle. Those actually sound completely amazing, but totally missing the impact that I like so much. For sound quality, nothing I've heard compares to the 521, but like I said, they did nothing to pressurize the room.

So, a life-long admirer of the Belles, and always wanting a pair (of Belle speakers) my search started to find something reasonably priced and in good condition. I could never find these 2 qualities in the same set of speakers I had found for sale.

So I figured...

I have a nice wood shop setup, why can't I build a set with the available reverse-engineered drawings out there?

I initially thought it might be a bit of a gamble in that I wasn't sure if the drawings were accurate enough to build from, but thought again... why not? I can lay everything out and adjust if necessary.

I bought 3 sheets of MDF to start, had a glut of bosse spanish cedar veneer I bought off Ebay a few years ago, and the drivers from my scrapped cornscala project.

Those consisted of Cast frame Crites woofers, Eliptrac 400 with a Community M200 2" compression Driver and an Eliptrac HF with a B&C DE120 driver.

These are also tri-amped and active. Outlaw 7 channel x 100W amp and a DbX Driverack PA2 crossover/DSP for now, possibly swapping to my minidsp4x10 at a later time.

Here I've got everything roughed out, laid out and ready for mockup, hence the green tape...

belle3.jpg

belle1.jpg

belle0.jpg

belle2.jpg

• Like 5

With mockup and adjustments (there were a couple from the drawings and cut sheets, and adjustments for 3/4" MDF Dimensions)

Ready for veneering. This was a bit of a PITA. As I said, I had the bosse spanish cedar veneer for a while, and it was dry. being raw veneer, it was brittle and fragile.

I used the titebond iron-on method. I used both titebond II and III. It's really never failed me... until I started matching seams with this super dry veneer. I'd get the joint tight and nearly invisible. Then it would suck up moisture from the glue. I'd lay it down and hit it with the iron and the veneer would shrink, opening the seam. So It was quite a bit of work trying to heat and slide the seam back together tightly while the glue was still hot, and tape it in place while it set.

Wasn't easy doing it alone, but I was able to get through it and it came out decent.

belle4.jpg

belle6.jpg

belle5.jpg

• Like 5

Have them set up and tuned now. Was feeding them some Dire Straits and Pink Floyd yesterday afternoon and I'm well pleased with the sound quality, impact and look. I have a Fitzmaurice HT Tuba to augment the bottom end, but these sound really awesome as-is. plenty of bottom end.

Still need to install some proper speaker terminals. I've raised the top hat off the bass bin with gold/black chrome spikes and pads.

They really look sharp I think.

I was worried about WAF, but she loves the veneer.

Finished with 3 coats of Waterlox original and orange oil/beeswax polish applied with a green scotch pad and buffed.

belle8.jpg

belle7.jpg

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, AudioSlave said:

OK

Thanks for the heads-up.

I'll be on my way.

Don't go--Those are beautiful speakers and it only sheds light on how the folks in Hope are actually artists in the first degree! Given you made those yourself is quite the accomplishment and I imagine Roy (and Mr Klipsch) would be impressed. 😊 Fwiw, to my understanding as long as you're not selling clones or promoting others that do, you should be good to go (or stay ;)).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AudioSlave said:

Have them set up and tuned now. Was feeding them some Dire Straits and Pink Floyd yesterday afternoon and I'm well pleased with the sound quality, impact and look. I have a Fitzmaurice HT Tuba to augment the bottom end, but these sound really awesome as-is. plenty of bottom end.

Still need to install some proper speaker terminals. I've raised the top hat off the bass bin with gold/black chrome spikes and pads.

They really look sharp I think.

I was worried about WAF, but she loves the veneer.

Finished with 3 coats of Waterlox original and orange oil/beeswax polish applied with a green scotch pad and buffed.

belle8.jpg

belle7.jpg

Congrats. Looks very nice!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Don't go--Those are beautiful speakers and it only sheds light on how the folks in Hope are actually artists in the first degree! Given you made those yourself is quite the accomplishment and I imagine Roy (and Mr Klipsch) would be impressed. 😊 Fwiw, to my understanding as long as you're not selling clones or promoting others that do, you should be good to go (or stay ;)).

I don't know I'd expect this thread to disappear just ask @MMurg about his custom Belle thread and that was days after dropping $40k on a new set of Jubes. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I don't know I'd expect this thread to disappear just ask @MMurg about his custom Belle thread and that was days after dropping $40k on a new set of Jubes. 

That was another thread I enjoyed reading and felt the moderators made a mistake given their own stated criteria...Dunno, but given all the extraneous topics I'm no longer allowed to discuss, I still come here for these creative topics and enjoy folks artistic pictures on another thread...On that note, I am surprised there's no longer alot of discussion on Home Theater & Multichannel Music which I still enjoy and wonder what the market is in that regard. 🤓

{Note: MMurg's front soundstage seemed INCREDIBLE and maybe Roy will design/suggest the perfect center channel to go with those beautiful Jubes!}

• Like 2

On 6/21/2023 at 8:04 AM, AudioSlave said:

With mockup and adjustments (there were a couple from the drawings and cut sheets, and adjustments for 3/4" MDF Dimensions)

Ready for veneering. This was a bit of a PITA. As I said, I had the bosse spanish cedar veneer for a while, and it was dry. being raw veneer, it was brittle and fragile.

I used the titebond iron-on method. I used both titebond II and III. It's really never failed me... until I started matching seams with this super dry veneer. I'd get the joint tight and nearly invisible. Then it would suck up moisture from the glue. I'd lay it down and hit it with the iron and the veneer would shrink, opening the seam. So It was quite a bit of work trying to heat and slide the seam back together tightly while the glue was still hot, and tape it in place while it set.

Wasn't easy doing it alone, but I was able to get through it and it came out decent.

belle4.jpg

belle6.jpg

belle5.jpg

Fantastic job.  😍

3 hours ago, OO1 said:

sad , really sad ,  1 more copy of a klipsch design 

Anybody with that kind of attitude, klipsch executives included, ought to be proud that someone is willing to go to those lengths to recreate what is now a discontinued design. If it's not being made anymore, someone who makes one for themselves is taking ZERO dollars away from Klipsch.

• Like 4