Jimmy Buffett dead at 76...

Marvel

My friends and I were just camping west of Missoula, and we're talking about when he played as the house band in Livingston Montana, when they filmed the movie Ranch Delux there.

Not only a wonderful musician, but a very astute business man.  

Bought his records in the late 70's through the 80's.  Some fun tunes.

" Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late, the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder, I'm an over 40 victim of fate, arriving too late, arriving to late.  

I've done a bit of smugglin'  run my share of grass  I made enough money to buy Miami but I pissed it away so fast

Never ment to last never ment to last"

RiP Jimmy.

• Like 3

There was always a time and a place for his music. I've been there when people that liked different genres could agree that he was a great entertainer. 

Also recalls slow drunk weekends out at the river. The first to arrive Friday were the last to leave Sunday after making sure the place looked reasonably untouched!

RIP Mr. Buffett

• Like 1

IIRC, my BIL, traveled throughout the South, as a peddler of industrial knitting needles. He was at a motel in Mobile after a long day, and after eating, visited the lounge... JB was there. He said he was awful... and then, a few years later he was doing alright and on the radio.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Hate to hear this, he has some fun music, never been but they say the concerts and parking areas are crazy.

But if you live long enough everyone you liked passes away.  It's the way it goes, never ends, no one gets out alive.   

• Like 3

A great read from a good friend of mine.  :)

It’s a sad day for Parrot Heads around the world with the news of Jimmy Buffett’s death. I loved him more for his song- writing skills than anything else, but my one encounter with him was somewhat hilarious.
It was a slow Sunday about 8 p.m. in the summer of 1989 when my ex-college roommate Jim Mariotti of Youngstown and I walked into his Margaritaville bar on Duval Street in Key West. Two beers later, there were maybe three other patrons in the place when we decided to call it a night. Just then, Jimmy and his Coral Reefer Band mates busted through the door as he told the bartender, “Our tour’s over … a bottle of Cuervo, please!”
He then lined shot glasses on the bar and free tequila flowed like a river. And then the party started. They took over the stage and started playing Rolling Stones songs for some reason, but not their own music. Within an hour, word had spread around town and the place was packed.
At one point, I turned to see Jimmy sitting next to me and he proceeded to fall off his bar stool - twice. On the first flop, his tennis shoes kicked me in the ribs. I looked down at him as he said, “Hey man, I am a little (messed) up, can you help me up?” He was just a little guy so he was very easy to pick up and place back on the stool. I did that twice.
We finally left about 2 a.m. with the band still playing, the dance floor packed and Jimmy slumped in a chair near the stage. We woke up that Monday morning with terrible tequila hangovers, looked at each other and asked “Did that really happen?”
The next time I saw Jimmy, he was opening for the Eagles just a few years ago and as good as ever on stage. One thing can be said about this man - he lived the life he sang about. RIP Jimmy.
  • Like 2

• Moderators
On 9/2/2023 at 8:30 PM, Dave1291 said:

One thing can be said about this man - he lived the life he sang about.

That was really true about him, it was not an act, it was how he was all the time.

5 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Excuse me?

Well I have never known anyone, but who knows this may be just act one ?  

• Like 2