Turkey

the real Duke Spinner

Not me. Going to relatives and they make the turkey. If I make the turkey I burn it to get a nice hard/deep crust on it. Normal people don't like that. So my normal relatives won't let me make the turkey. My oven element has been burned out for about 35 years now. No need for it.

JJK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

I smoked some pork loin on the Big Green Egg.IMG_1910.jpeg.1954ac868cf163819308eeaaeb44f87f.jpeg

IMG_1912.jpeg.52db97ce09505c945f786b39a4b5bd45.jpeg

IMG_1913.jpeg.ab7e57ef8881a0bc2275154647baa785.jpeg

I also made some mashed potatoes, collard greens, and fresh cranberry sauce.

IMG_1915.jpeg.5ab34878ece1f7461c9854eea3acf3ed.jpeg

You would think you were born in the South and not Wisconsin.

🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

I smoked some pork loin

Looks good, one of my favorite things  to smoke, I do one every other week. We get some every time in goes on sale, on sale it's cheaper then even ground beef of chicken and much better to me. 

I like the way you cooked it, some people overcook it and it gets dry and tough, yours looks good.

• Like 2

We had a delicious Vietnamese meal. We were in Norcross, GA, spent the night away from home, got a bunch of Filipino food at the Buford Farmers Market, did some other shopping and came home.

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, dtel said:

Looks good, one of my favorite things  to smoke, I do one every other week. We get some every time in goes on sale, on sale it's cheaper then even ground beef of chicken and much better to me. 

I like the way you cooked it, some people overcook it and it gets dry and tough, yours looks good.

I had the BGE sitting right around 225°f.

The pork loin was on there for a few hours until it hit about 135° internal temp. 
At that point I pulled it off and wrapped it in parchment and foil and the heat internally rose to about 150°f.

Ive definitely overcooked it before and was really worried about it drying out but it turned out perfect.

• Like 1

I woke this a.m. with a splitting headache, which hasn't happened in a long time. I realized I hadn't had any  caffeine for a day and a half.  Two cups in and it's gone.

I also know that I would be better of going another day or so and just stop the coffee altogether.  Probably never going to happen, though.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

he pork loin was on there for a few hours until it hit about 135° internal temp. 
At that point I pulled it off and wrapped it in parchment and foil and the heat internally rose to about 150°f.

Looking good, same here 225, but I  always pull it at 135, but then just leave it cool and it's slightly pink and very juicy. Been doing it like that for years and never had a problem, it has the texture of steak not dry at all. Accidently once let it go to about 145 before pulling and it was totally different, white dry and much tougher so I am careful to watch it at the end.

I guess just leaving it cool unwrapped is still somewhat going to have a temp rise before it cools ? 

One reason I do pork loin so often is our local store has it when on sale for $149-$179 a pound, cheaper than chicken of even ground beef and to me it's much better. We even get it sliced into pork chops and freeze it like that, normal pork chops with the bone cost over twice as much which is crazy. I am cheap, but love to cook/eat. Will be doing another loin in a couple of days after the leftovers are gone which reminds me I need to defrost it and start marinating it.

Got leftover stuffing? Heat up on your stove top with plenty of water. Stir frequently and keep adding water until in turns into a coarser version of oatmeal. I call it "mush" to my mind it definitely tastes better than regular stuffing. A yummy leftover. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Sorry Thebes, but that sounds horrid!  lmao.

:lofr:

Try it and then you'll come around.  For some reason mixing all that water into melds the flavors. 

And, after all,  has your friendly neighborhood Thebes ever been wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1