Subwoofers for the car

Skeleton Cowboy

There are a bazillion car audio forums out there that can help with your adventure. I spent almost 30 years in the car audio industry (and home A/V), from 1980 till 2009, with the last 8 as a Manufacturers rep and I'm glad to be out of it.  Lol. It was fun for many years though. 

• Like 2

On 12/14/2023 at 6:15 AM, Skeleton Cowboy said:

Hey, everybody. The other day I bought a Honda Civic and I want to install there subwoofers, can anyone advise what is better to put? This is my first car, so I am not experienced in this matter.

you're gonna end up with a car full of rattles and irritating vibrations and squeeks     

Just starting out? Get an SAS Bazooka. I have a 6.5" model. With my OEM radio I connected it to the speaker outputs

of my rear speakers. When the OEM cassette (!) radio died I replaced it with a Sony that had subwoofer or preamp

outputs, I forget. I also have the remote level and crossover control box which is handily mounted under the dash.

I did not use the strap method SAS uses to secure the subwoofer to the vehicle. I stuck Velcro on the subwoofer

so it would grip the carpeting in the back of my station wagon and not roll around (SAS is probably more interested

in the tube not becoming a missile in the case of an accident, but if the sub is mounted in the trunk it should not

be an issue.)

Vented or ported subs will take up more space than a sealed sub, and if you go the component route there's

more work and cost involved getting a box/driver/amp/capacitor together. The SAS is an all-in-one solution which is

good for the beginner or people who want to keep it simple.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 3:15 AM, Skeleton Cowboy said:

Hey, everybody. The other day I bought a Honda Civic and I want to install there subwoofers, can anyone advise what is better to put? This is my first car, so I am not experienced in this matter.

Concentrate on getting a girlfriend first... then get a subwoofer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Skeleton Cowboy said:

What makes you think that? I'm not a tuning freak, I just want a good sound in my car. 

I’m going to be a little more direct than I was with my last answer.

This is a forum dedicated to home theater.  I suggest you find a forum dedicated to car audio.

9 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Replacing the factory speakers can go a long way in making the system sound better.

This.  Don't go adding subwoofers unless you determine you really need them.  That should be the last place you look to make changes.  Start with speakers already in the car, then the head unit.  Then if you're still unsatisfied, look at subs.

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2023 at 6:14 PM, wuzzzer said:

I’d suggest using car subwoofers not home subwoofers.  Klipsch makes home subwoofers.

Although this thread probably isn't the appropriate place, drivers / woofers made for home use can be used in cars just fine.  Several top cars in terms of sound quality are running Acoustic Elegance which is high quality home woofers.  Cars that want super low response are running Stereo Integrity which is known for home theater.  JTR actually uses drivers made by Fi Car Audio.  The guy that runs the data-bass site and has tested tons of home subs picked out his favorite for home use and it was apparently the Rockford Fosgate 19".  So it's all very interchangeable.  Really the biggest difference as a blanket statement is that car subs for maximum SPL are often made for rattling your teeth out around 36" in a ported box while being fed massive amounts of power, and not much else.