RF7-III or Heritage IV, Please Explain The Technical Differences

OK, yes, if you've heard both, but I'm hoping for a bit more technical explanation.

One detail is the RF7-III is 2-way passive, but the Heresy IV is 3-way passive. As much as I've tried to research, I'm somewhat only understanding that the 3-way is better for the midrange, but the 2-way is better for the bass? This is probably the aspect that has me most confused. Is 2-way passive really best for 2-Channel Home Audio, and 3-way best for when there is a subwoofer?

The RF7-III has a wider frequency range, and greater sensitivity (100 vs 99 so not a huge difference).

The Heresy IV doesn't seem to be a "poor man's RF7-III," but somewhat a different speaker for a different reason but I can't figure this out either.

I have watched the Paducah Home Theater test, and I know Cory answers many questions here, so maybe he will help. I came away from that video though more confused than I did before, because from that video it seems the Heresy IV is much better, but then 10 guys come on and say oh no the RF7-III is much better.

Greatly appreciate any help!

Edited by ksquared
Fix initial mistake

Assuming you mean Heresy IV?

Over the years I’ve owned a couple dozen pairs of Klipsch speakers including original RF-7s.  My current setup is 5 original Heresys in a home theater.  I have always preferred Klipsch 3-way speakers over any Klipsch 2-way speaker that I’ve had.  If you watch movies or like music with a lot of bass you’ll want a subwoofer or two with Heresys.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

I have always preferred Klipsch 3-way speakers over any Klipsch 2-way speaker that I’ve had.  If you watch movies or like music with a lot of bass you’ll want a subwoofer or two with Heresys.

So if it is the 2-channel output, with two Heresys, can the subwoofer then still be somehow used when listening?

And yes, I admit, you're trying to explain it to somebody who is fairly confused, but I appreciate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ksquared said:

So if it is the 2-channel output, with two Heresys, can the subwoofer then still be somehow used when listening?

I don't understand the question above, please rephrase.

From your original post I'd say you understand the differences between the RF-7 and the Heresy well.

I think a lot of people go for the Heresy because sound aside, of its long history, reputation, and vintage looks. It does voice

differently than a 2-way but not alarmingly so.

Many people, including myself, recommend adding a subwoofer if you get the Heresy as the Heresy IV doesn't play as

low as even less expensive speakers in the Klipsch lineup including the RF-7. That holds true for music as well as movies

but it also depends on what music you prefer and how you tend to play it, loud, moderate, or soft. I think the Heresy only

begins to show its value when you're playing moderately to louder levels.

If your statement above is "how do you wire a subwoofer to your system" when you have the Heresy, that will depend on

the subwoofer you purchase as well as your power source. More information would help here.

1 hour ago, ksquared said:

And yes, I admit, you're trying to explain it to somebody who is fairly confused, but I appreciate.

What are/would you be using for a receiver or amp?

the Heresy IV sounds like a Studio Monitor with exceptional vocals and the purest Heritage sound    ,,  the RF7III are larger towers for a home entertainment sound system , 

• Like 1

With respect to Klipsch speakers in particular, it's not simply that a speaker is 2-way or 3-way.  In my opinion what sets Heritage and the other 3-way Klipsch (like the 3-way Legend series and the Palladium series) apart from the 2-way Klipsch consumer lines is that more of the frequency range is covered by horn-loaded drivers. In the Klipsch consumer lines of speakers, most of the 2-way speakers hand off from horns to cones in the range of 1200 Hz to as high as 2500 Hz. In contrast, the consumer line 3-way speakers (that are not fully horn-loaded) transition from horns to cones in a range of like 500 Hz to 850 Hz. This means that the consumer 3-way and fully horn-loaded speakers will have less distortion and better coverage control in the critical lower and middle region of the mid-range frequencies where the bulk of the musical and vocal action is. To my ears the 3-way Klipsch consumer speakers and the fully-horn-loaded ones (whether 3-way or 2-way like the Jubilee) sound more effortless, cleaner, less veiled, and more accurate in the mid-range. I call it the Klipsch "mid-range magic".

The difference in the bass response is mainly due to the RF-7 III having a much larger cabinet volume.  The larger 3-way Klipsch speakers can go lower than the Heresy as well.  The Forte IV might be closer to the "equivalent" of the RF-7 III in the Heritage line.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, MMurg said:

With respect to Klipsch speakers in particular, it's not simply that a speaker is 2-way or 3-way.  ... To my ears the 3-way Klipsch consumer speakers and the fully-horn-loaded ones (whether 3-way or 2-way like the Jubilee) sound more effortless, cleaner, less veiled, and more accurate in the mid-range. I call it the Klipsch "mid-range magic".

The difference in the bass response is mainly due to the RF-7 III having a much larger cabinet volume.  The larger 3-way Klipsch speakers can go lower than the Heresy as well.  The Forte IV might be closer to the "equivalent" of the RF-7 III in the Heritage line.

I'm going to say "That's it!" And thanks of course. I somewhat suspected that 3-way was better than 2-way, but it ends up being more complex. 

I want to listen to '60s records, others here want the 5.1 movie experience at home. And I end up confused about how the best way to do that. Heresy IV with the subwoofer in 5.1 and then Heresy IV with or without a subwoofer to listen to records, or use the RF7-III and not need the subwoofer to listen to the records and have the incredible 5.1 system. Or maybe the Forte IV might be the ultimate, but I have never looked at them.

As a general rule, Thee way  speakers don't have have to compromise on the crossover frequencies to cover or blend the tweeter, midrange or bass.  The bottom line is what sounds good to you! Heritage speakers earned their reputation for a reason.  Doing HT, get a sub for the 7"s or Heresy.

Even if this was accentuated many times, do not forget the effect of room you are placing the speakers in.

I listened music through Heresy IV in hi-fi shop, and was not impressed. Meaning, I expected more out of them. And I know they must perform better according to data and measurements I saw. So have that factor in mind also.

So, you want to buy a Klipsch speaker, but you can't listen to them, and based on our input, you make your choice blindly with the speaker selection? Bold move. Perhaps it's a better idea to provide a list of your preferences so that you can receive more targeted advice. Still, with so many members, there are numerous opinions. Factors influencing the speaker choice could include:
- Use for music only or also for movies
- Preferred genre of music
- Amplifier choice and whether considering alternative amplifiers
- Size of the room they will be placed in
- Emphasis on bass, a strong live experience, analytical sound, etc.
- Budget
- is visual aesthetics playing a significant role? 

• Like 2