Interested in Cornwall IVs

Hi All.  I have always been curious about the Klipsch Heritage sound.  I am enticed by a live sound.  The primary genres I like classic rock, new wave, post punk, 90s alternative and shoe gaze.  I do not like dry, hard, harsh, super analytical speakers/systems.  I like a some warmth with decent frequency extension (sometimes kind of hard to pull off?).  My current system are Polk Audio R700s driven by a McIntosh 8950, I have a rel sub.     My room is pretty big, 17  ft wide by 30 ft deep.  The Polks with the sub do a good job of filling the room.  I really like my set up but my curiosity is getting the best of me.   Does anyone know if going from the R700 is a sideways move or would I get a jump in performance with the CW4?  Maybe it is not matter of better but what type of sound I would prefer.  The knock on the Polks for me is I don't feel like there is enough extension in the highs/mids, or the region where electric guitars reign.  Sounds good, and it allows me to listen without fatigue but sometimes I want the guitars to be more prominent or forward without the drawback of fatigue.   Anyway, any input or insights would be appreciated. 

My experience is that when first coming over to Klipsch Heritage from the "normal hifi world" any of the Cornwall variants will be your best bet. I have found the Cornwall to be an excellent gateway. The other heritage speakers, some people find to be so different from what they're used to and consequently don't always hear what makes them special. 

My Klipsch journey started with Chorus II, then Forte's, then Klipschorns, Heresy's and Cornwalls. I sold off everything except the corner horns and Cornwalls. Your going to need a good source and amp, more so than with your direct radiators.

My listening room is similar in size to yours. I was originally interested in the Heresy, but was encouraged by the dealer to consider either the Cornwall or Forte (both version III) and ended up buying the Forte. For my tastes, the Forte III had a slight edge over the Cornwall. My brother-in-law, who was with me while I auditioned both, went back later and bought a pair of Cornwall IVs. I have not heard his yet, but I can tell you I love my Forte IIIs and the IVs are supposed to be a huge step up. I'm powering mine with a Nelson Pass designed Amp Camp Amp which is 8 wpc Class A, and it sounds great. I would encourage you to audition both the Cornwall and Forte. Either way, I think you will be happy.

Location? Ideally you could find a dealer within reasonable distance to do listening session. If you have the space and dollars, cw4 generally more preferred than forte (although different strokes for different folks).

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Welcome @Capitalcityguy

Something's to unpack and not that familiar with Polk model.

Owners of the CW-4s will chime in. What are you powering the speakers with?

thanks...

edit: Do you have a place to demo a pair?

I'm powering my speakers with a McIntosh MA 8950 integrated amp.  https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/integrated-amplifiers/MA8950

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sam S. said:

Location? Ideally you could find a dealer within reasonable distance to do listening session. If you have the space and dollars, cw4 generally more preferred than forte (although different strokes for different folks).

I'm in Des Moines, Iowa.  No dealer here, but there is in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Omaha, Kansas City and Minneapolis.  So yeah, I'll try to make it to one of the places. 

4 hours ago, Capitalcityguy said:

I'm in Des Moines, Iowa.  No dealer here, but there is in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Omaha, Kansas City and Minneapolis.  So yeah, I'll try to make it to one of the places. 

I'm in Omaha,  hit me up if you want as i have Cornwall IVs,  you can even bring your amp and we can move the speakers around the house to get different listening experiences.  I'm surprised there is no dealer in Des Moines. 

• Like 2

I know Polk Audio made some good speakers back in the 80s, which are the only ones I have experience with. I looked up the R700s and they appear to be decent for the $$. I don't currently own CW IVs, but I did own a pair for about a year. They are just awesome speakers and I'd be willing to bet, a very substantial upgrade to what you have now. And you certainly have a good room to accommodate them. If you have to travel a little to hear a pair, I think you should. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I own CWIVs but have noticed that the Polk R700 are well reviewed. Many say they’re the best at around $2000. I can’t say whether you'll prefer the Klipsch but I can say that they do what you’re wanting in regards to guitars. I haven’t compared my Cornwalls directly with any non horn modern towers but I did compare the Forte IVs at a Crutchfield store last year. They had the Fortes, some revel towers ($4000) and the Wharfdale Elyesions ($10000). I played Weezer’s ‘In the Garage’ on all three and there was no comparison for me. The guitars were unrestrained and just ripped compared to the other two. Not harsh or beaming, just ALIVE. The kid who worked there said the Fortes were his favorite as well. 
I would also be surprised if instrument separation isn’t better on the Cornwalls. That is a strong suit as well as drum realism and dynamics. 

• Like 1

Thanks for chiming in everyone.  Very helpful.  I have had a lot of speakers, but was kind of an idiot when it came to audio.  I kept trying gear and speakers to try something I liked.  I never treated my room, so I was always looking for that magic formula.  At my old house with a 14x20 room I had Montor Audio GS60s (harsh sounding), Fritz, Elac FS 409s,  Elac 407 Black Edition, Proac D48Rs, Tidal Pianos.  Most of those speakers were probably pretty good to okay, but again I was naive about room treatment and set up.  It is all good, I learned a lot along the way.   In 2022 I developed tinnitus and had to find speakers that were smooth but still enjoyable.  I found the Warfedale Lintons.  I loved them, yes they couldn't do some things that $16 grand Tidal Piano could do, but oddly enough, I enjoyed them more.   I just moved to a new house with this huge room, I knew that Lintons couldn't move enough air for this big room so I bought the Polk R700s with the budget I had left after the move.  I'm getting the best sound I have ever had, but this room is treated, I have dialed in my cabling and my amp really jives with the R700s, I could seriously live with these.  

Because of tinnitus, I don't really listen loud and if I do it is not for long periods.  The R700s are okay at low listening levels, but really come alive as you juice the volume.  I am interested in the Corwalls because I keep reading they sound great at lower volumes.  Plus, as mentioned looking for more extension on the guitars.  The only time I have ever heard a Klipsch (other than my brothers little bookshelves and those were harsh/bright), was back in 1982.  I was just 14 years old.  I don't know which model it was, All these years I thought it was always the Klispchhorn, but that is to tall, the ones I heard were shorter/squatier so it may have been a Cornwall.  My friends brother dropped the needle on Asia's Heat of the Moment (don't laugh) and I could not believe it, the opening guitar riff, so thick, so alive, so extended!  I have always used that track to test speakers and to this day, I have never heard that track sound like it did in 1982.  

Edited by Capitalcityguy
  • Like 2

I can definitely confirm that the Cornwall IVs are great at low volumes. 60db is all I need most of the time to rock out and get the detail and dynamics. That is a major purchase and expense though so I’d either want to hear them first or buy used so I could recoup the money if they weren’t for me. 

seems true Shakeydeal.  Maybe it was because it was cranked and my 14 year old ears could handle it is the reason I thought it sounded so good.  That is one of those albums that probably sounds good in the car or on headphones but not a higher end two channel system.   

2 hours ago, Capitalcityguy said:

Thanks for chiming in everyone.  Very helpful.  I have had a lot of speakers, but was kind of an idiot when it came to audio.  I kept trying gear and speakers to try something I liked.  I never treated my room, so I was always looking for that magic formula.  At my old house with a 14x20 room I had Montor Audio GS60s (harsh sounding), Fritz, Elac FS 409s,  Elac 407 Black Edition, Proac D48Rs, Tidal Pianos.  Most of those speakers were probably pretty good to okay, but again I was naive about room treatment and set up.  It is all good, I learned a lot along the way.   In 2022 I developed tinnitus and had to find speakers that were smooth but still enjoyable.  I found the Warfedale Lintons.  I loved them, yes they couldn't do some things that $16 grand Tidal Piano could do, but oddly enough, I enjoyed them more.   I just moved to a new house with this huge room, I knew that Lintons couldn't move enough air for this big room so I bought the Polk R700s with the budget I had left after the move.  I'm getting the best sound I have ever had, but this room is treated, I have dialed in my cabling and my amp really jives with the R700s, I could seriously live with these.  

Because of tinnitus, I don't really listen loud and if I do it is not for long periods.  The R700s are okay at low listening levels, but really come alive as you juice the volume.  I am interested in the Corwalls because I keep reading they sound great at lower volumes.  Plus, as mentioned looking for more extension on the guitars.  The only time I have ever heard a Klipsch (other than my brothers little bookshelves and those were harsh/bright), was back in 1982.  I was just 14 years old.  I don't know which model it was, All these years I thought it was always the Klispchhorn, but that is to tall, the ones I heard were shorter/squatier so it may have been a Cornwall.  My friends brother dropped the needle on Asia's Heat of the Moment (don't laugh) and I could not believe it, the opening guitar riff, so thick, so alive, so extended!  I have always used that track to test speakers and to this day, I have never heard that track sound like it did in 1982.  

Welcome to the forum, Capitalcityguy. I don't have a CW4 but vintage LaScalas and 2008 Underground Jubilees. What I also have is tinnitus, fortunately sometimes below the threshold of perception, but on some other days very noticeable and annoying. I can say from personal experience that horn speakers send the music "through the tinnitus beep" into my heart. I lack a better description. Even though I love my LS3/5a BBC speakers in a smaller room, the Klipsch, both models, manage to overcome the tinnitus much better with music in our larger living room at lower volumes than any conventional radiator. The big benefit of this is that you're not tempted to turn up the volume like with normal radiators. Because in the end, it is precisely the louder volume that is contra-productive for tinnitus. I think from what owners and reviewers say about the CW4, it retains the benefits of Klipsch sound and is smooth and non-fatiguing at the same time as I experience the merits of a tractrix horn with my UJ speakers which in principal the CW4 also uses in a smaller scale.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 11:40 AM, Capitalcityguy said:

Does anyone know if going from the R700 is a sideways move or would I get a jump in performance with the CW4? 

Cornwall IV are exceptional speakers , but here 's a really great deal in Nashville  2/3 off the price , yep 700 miles away from Des Moines    , 1 Pair of MINT -BRAND NEW Cornwall  III for 2300$  , once these are gone , they're gone 

• Like 1