Laptop as source?

When I started streaming from computers years ago they really didn't have decent "built-in" DACs. Had to run the USB or FireWire into an outboard DAC to get any signal that even resemble hi-fi quality. 1/8" audio out split to RCAs just didn't cut it. Bought a couple inexpensive units (DACs) to run headphones & they worked OK. Eventually, I got a reasonably priced KACES USB DA-151 DAC to run the USB output of my laptop into & then output RCA to the stereo gear. Still using that DAC to stream from my iPad Pro into my tubes/Klipsch system & I've A/B'd it against vinyl & CDs & my ears can't tell the difference. Sonic BLISS!

Here's my signal path: iPad Pro (Apple Music) > KACES USB DA-151 DAC > Dynaco PAS3 (Spare Input) > Dynaco ST70 > Forte IIs. Even though I have a very good CD player & turntable I usually use the iPod Pro. Sounds great through my system & is very versatile. I love Apple Music's Essentials. Very nicely curated. Plus, I don't have to mess with it like I do with records or CDs.

Frank

On 3/8/2024 at 2:29 AM, Shakeydeal said:

Because a raspberry pi has one job and only one job to do. Stream your music. No background processes or other programs running. It also has a better output stage with less jitter and noise. It’s not going to be a huge leap going from one to the other but it will be noticeable. Things get better when you move up the streamer chain.

When I started streaming years ago it was with a laptop....always with an external DAC. A few years ago I switched to using a Bluesound Node 2i also with an external DAC. Absolutely love it.

I've considered checking out using a Raspberry Pi. Would it be an improvement in sound quality (or otherwise) over a Node? 

Either way, I've been totally content streaming the last few years. The sound quality is very good and I'm almost to the point of not being able to tell the difference anyway. I just wanna rock out.

• Like 1

I was using an Allo Digi One pi player when I decided to try a blusound node. Both being used with an external dac. The user interface of the bluos app was much better, but I thought sound quality suffered a little. I moved on to a Lumin U1 mini and it is better than both. YMMV…..

• Like 1

OK, have been curious, my onboard DAC sounds fantastic, I m trying to discern whether an "outboard" is worth it or not. Most of the guys I know who use them with have older equipment without DACs.

It can be done cleanly.  For those saying get a streamer, I mean, a streamer is just a stripped down computer with a decent DAC.  Only bad thing is that most laptops come with a cheap DAC built in.  At least get a nice sound car or get an external DAC.  Cyrus even made a tiny little USB key DAC that was only like $69 that would be much better than what most stock laptops have.  

I use a laptop, and audioquest carbon cable into a Benchmark DAC3.  Sounds fine to me.  I haven't tried it any other way so I have nothing to compare to.  I also have Fiio streamer with Sabre DAC for bluetooth and that sounds good for bluetooth but not as good as the laptop and DAC.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mark1101 said:

I use a laptop, and audioquest carbon cable into a Benchmark DAC3.  Sounds fine to me.  I haven't tried it any other way so I have nothing to compare to.  I also have Fiio streamer with Sabre DAC for bluetooth and that sounds good for bluetooth but not as good as the laptop and DAC.

Yeah, Bluetooth is a no no…

7 hours ago, mark1101 said:

I like using my smartphone as my remote for my laptop. Doesn't affect the sound at all to my ears. 

29 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Well if you’ve never heard it done right, I guess you wouldn’t know…

Well if your referring streamer to dac you are correct. But as far as laptop or computer to dac using the smartphone as a remote doesn't affect the sound to my ears. I am just using bluetooth to my laptop which would still remain the wired transport via audioquest usb cable to dac. But again I have not given a nice streamer a chance yet. As a betting man I would think throwing all my money at a killer dac would give a better result but again I cannot be sure of that statement without trial.

1 hour ago, stormin said:

I like using my smartphone as my remote for my laptop. Doesn't affect the sound at all to my ears. 

Silly question. How do I control my laptop with my iPhone?

On 3/9/2024 at 4:50 PM, SWL said:

I've considered checking out using a Raspberry Pi. Would it be an improvement in sound quality (or otherwise) over a Node? 

I believe that would depend on the DAC used. For instance, my Raspberry pi uses DAC +, whereas my Node uses the internal DAC.  I haven't spent enough time with the Node or comparing the 2, but i would be interested in seeing how much better it could get with an external DAC. Either way both sound good. If you are looking for a low cost entry, the Raspberry Pi is a great option,  and there are many quality DACs to choose from.

15 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Using a volume control in the digital domain throws away bits. Just sayin….

Don't tell that to all the recording studios.