Back...after a long hiatus...looking for some system understanding

Not really 2 channel, not completely home theater...more a combination set up question.

System -

Denon AVR-S540BT

Teac AD-850 (cassette/CD)

Audio Technica ATLP-5X (turntable)

2 - KLF 30

2 - KLF 20

1 - KLF C7

Wanting to maximize sound quality at lower volumes.

I "think", that more watts equals fuller tone at lower volumes.

The Denon is a 5 channel unit.  70 watts (2 channel).

There is plenty of volume for music/movies, especially with the efficiency of the KLF's.  I am looking at understanding what item(s) (pre-amp?) I might add to help "enhance" the fullness at lower volumes.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Fotog said:

I am looking at understanding what item(s) (pre-amp?) I might add to help "enhance" the fullness at lower volumes.

It is not easy to say. For years I have enjoyed the NAD, Denon, HK, and such, plus the Yamaha, Pioneer, Kenwood and the ilk. IMHO, Sansui and Marantz were two that chased the 'dream' beyond others. I have gotten into the McIntosh SS equipment and I have to admit that it is a notch above where I was.  Several tube guys say that MC isn't where they are with their tubes. 

I am enjoying the journey. 

• Like 2

Welcome back!  A pre-amp isn’t going to give you anything you’re looking for.  Looking at the specs of your receiver, make sure Eco mode is turned off.  If you have tone controls turn them up and see if that helps.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Welcome back!  A pre-amp isn’t going to give you anything you’re looking for.  Looking at the specs of your receiver, make sure Eco mode is turned off.  If you have tone controls turn them up and see if that helps.

Appreciate the insight.

2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

It is not easy to say...

Sansui and Marantz were two that chased the 'dream' beyond others.

I sure understand this.

My first "exposure" to serious music systems was early '70's. A friends brother had a Marantz with a pair of Bose 901's. Have yearned for a Marantz ever since. 

Recently been looking at some vintage units - but, unless there is a benefit (improvement) over what I have now, doesn't make sense to me.

The McIntosh tube amps are intriguing.  Price is a factor in the budget - for me.  

As a musician, have owned many guitar amplifiers (both tube and solid state). I have a "sense" of the tone I am looking for. 

Good to read you are enjoying the journey.  I trust I will as well.

• Like 1

KlF 20 and 30 are very nice speakers and some of the best from Klipsch non-Heritage line.  Tubes may be the answer for a change of taste and maybe a crossover update.  I liked the sound of the KLF 30 over my RF 7II's.

• Like 3

Back in the ole days there were "loudness" buttons/switches on systems.

They were meant to do exactly what I think you want.

They would attenuate the lows(especially) and highs of the music so we would appreciate it more at low volumes.

You could try cranking up the bass and treble knobs while listening at low volumes.

Edited by 1MoreFord
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Fotog said:

Wanting to maximize sound quality at lower volumes.

Two things I'd start with already mentioned here- 1) Loudness button or change in tone controls. This one is easy and costs nothing but a little time to experiment. You might find you can significantly improve the situation with just some minor adjustments. 2) Fresh capacitors if you haven't updated them already. If you still find things lacking or want to improve some more I'd look into some quality separates. If your Receiver has pre-outs you can start with a quality (new or used based on your budget) 5-7 channel amplifier. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Two things I'd start with already mentioned here- 1) Loudness button or change in tone controls. This one is easy and costs nothing but a little time to experiment. You might find you can significantly improve the situation with just some minor adjustments. 2) Fresh capacitors if you haven't updated them already. If you still find things lacking or want to improve some more I'd look into some quality separates. If your Receiver has pre-outs you can start with a quality (new or used based on your budget) 5-7 channel amplifier. 

Could you expound a bit on "pre-outs" and a "quality amplifier".

Pretty sure I have the "pre-outs". I am guessing the amplifier RCA would feed from this. Are the turntable/CD/Tape deck then fed into the amplifier and then RCA back into the Denon?

Any recommendations on "quality amplifiers"? Watts? Tube/solid state?

Thanks.

14 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

KlF 20 and 30 are very nice speakers and some of the best from Klipsch non-Heritage line.  Tubes may be the answer for a change of taste and maybe a crossover update.  I liked the sound of the KLF 30 over my RF 7II's.

"Cross over update"?

Have read about "Crites titanium" something.  Have wondered if these speakers need a "touch up".  Plenty loud and clarity on CD's is pretty amazing.  Just acquired this turntable.  In the learning curve mode...

32 minutes ago, Fotog said:

"Cross over update"?

Have read about "Crites titanium" something.  Have wondered if these speakers need a "touch up".  Plenty loud and clarity on CD's is pretty amazing.  Just acquired this turntable.  In the learning curve mode...

Does your Denon have a phono input?  Does your turntable have a phono pre-amp built in?

22 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Does your Denon have a phono input?  Does your turntable have a phono pre-amp built in?

Yes (not dedicated) and yes.

The phono input is labeled "media". Same input for the CD/tape deck. 

AVR-S540BT, , dynamic

The turntable does have a "pre-amp" I believe. It can be turned off.

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/at-lp5x

Phono Pre-Amp Gain MM: 36 dB nominal, RIAA equalized ; MC: 56 dB nominal, RIAA equalized

This may be the time for you to explore some of the newer Marantz models. The vintage stuff can be great, but it is vintage and repairs down the road are fairly likely. Due to space I have a combo set up as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, YK Thom said:

This may be the time for you to explore some of the newer Marantz models. The vintage stuff can be great, but it is vintage and repairs down the road are fairly likely. Due to space I have a combo set up as well.

I will...thanks.

• Like 1

Like others have said, if your Denon AVR had a loudness button, you could engage it a lower volumes.

But looking at the manual, I don't see that as an option.

Tweaking your bass tone control at lower volumes is your best bet.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 1:57 PM, Peter P. said:

Like others have said, if your Denon AVR had a loudness button, you could engage it a lower volumes.

But looking at the manual, I don't see that as an option.

Tweaking your bass tone control at lower volumes is your best bet.

Yes.  I recall an older receiver having a "loudness" button.  

I do feel a bit "embarrassed" as looking through my receiver, I find "programmed" audio options.  Fwiw, I had it dialed in for movies, and it worked well for the CD/cassette tape input.  When I purchased this new turntable, I had completely forgotten about the audio settings (as I never changed them), and immediately was thinking about "more watts".  😉

I am still intrigued by a "tube" 2 channel set up for old school albums...however, I think I have a "useable" solution.

As always - appreciate the many inputs.

To correct a statement made earlier in this thread that MIGHT be misleading...... from Wikipedia:

Amplifiers often feature a "loudness" button, known technically as loudness compensation, that boosts low and high-frequency components of the sound. These are intended to offset the apparent loudness fall-off at those frequencies, especially at lower volume levels. Boosting these frequencies produces a flatter equal-loudness contour that appears to be louder even at low volume, preventing the perceived sound from being dominated by the mid-frequencies where the ear is most sensitive.

• Like 1