MC30 pair

6 minutes ago, John Warren said:

Thanks gents!

All I got was Once Upon a Time, The End. 😁 You have a lot of work turning them into what they are from what they were. I want to see more (for a personal reason). I have a pair of MC30 and need to know how they should perform. 

Great job. What are you going to hook them up to?  

Amazing work.  I'm shocked you are able to preserve the lettering on the chrome.

I'm still enjoying the two MC250's you turned into perfect condition.   Attachment is a quick wired setup in a newly refinished small room.

Can you do amazing things to a MC225?

jc

• Like 3

jc-

Don't be amazed, the chassis tops are reproductions sourced from Korea.  The quality is excellent.  The bottom sections were reworked at a local metal refinisher I use.  Does enamels, powder coat, anodize, acrylics.

And the Korean supplier does make a chrome on stainless chassis top section for the MC225.  They have a large collection of top sections reproductions.  They've been making them for some time.

Fair amount of work goes into the restoration.  Most of the hardware is replaced which it should be it's over 60 years old! 

Good to see the amps in use!  Interesting song selection.

jw

• Like 1

Thanks Dave.

For the amps here, the bottom sections needed refinishing.  There's an autobody nearby that will refinish (paint, powder coat) anything made of metal.  The paint used here is an acrylic urethane automotive paint (a satin topcoat).  After paint is applied, the parts are hung in a benchtop IR oven.  Tougher than what a rattle can applied paint provides.       

MC30_8.thumb.jpg.f5b56b887936ed49ee0dd28c64bd36f6.jpg

MC30_7.thumb.jpg.250aaf4098731662f4499993b422b4ea.jpg

The difference between this method and a rattle can approach is the hardness of the paint.  Even using a rattle can, an hour or so under the IR improves the durability of the paint.   

I like the paint shop but I've found another that specializes in small jobs like this and the turnaround is a few days rather than a few weeks.   I'll be bringing a set of transformers from a Citation II to them to powder coat in that oddly cool brown color.  They match paints using fancy machines and lasers.  

image.thumb.jpeg.49122171845067788dd0c72d90145464.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/25/2024 at 5:42 AM, John Warren said:

In the first post, there's a link to a thread showing photos. 

Read that and see that more has been added. Thanks.

Great work.

I have a pair of MC30 that are very clean. Is there a way to tell if the original covers have been replaced? 

20240204_153532.thumb.jpg.13a1f6a021d88d1cca70ced119a21b3e.jpg

Very nice work John!  I’m always amazed with folks like yourself. Meticulous with attention to detail,  and it shows in your labor.  Excellent!  I had a pair many moons ago driving a pair of ‘78 Klipschorns!  Terry DeWick did his magic with them.  Sounded wonderful, typical McIntosh with Klipsch! Awesome combo!

On 4/29/2024 at 4:03 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Is there a way to tell if the original covers have been replaced? 

Take the bottom cover off, the factory units are dull, bare metal finish on the underside with ink stamped codes.  The new make are mirror like on the underside.

MC30_32.jpg