is heritage the way to go?

From what I read on this forum everyone is in love with their heritage, but claims that it shows the flaws in their other components. I am using a SS denon reciever and a DVD/SACD for music. I'm currently looking into either a pair of RF7s or trying to get some cornwalls. My question is this, I really want to get some heritage, but do not have the money to invest in tube amps and $1500 cd players and such that it sounds like would be nescessary to really enjoy them. So would I be better off just getting the Refrence or is there a way to make a heritage setup work on a limited budget (I'm in college, so it's really limited.)

I've been using SS with cornwalls for 23 years. They sound great. There is always a way to make your speakers sound better but you would probably love cornwalls regardless of your amp (RF7s too for that matter although I'm partial to heritage).

To borrow a line from Shaft:

"Damn Right"9.gif

Heritage ROCKS in home theater. Any way you go - Klipschorns, Belles, Cornwalls, LaScalas, Heresys.......yeah, it's the way to go.

Two potential problems: Necessary space to set it up (especially that critical center channel), and finding proper subbage to do it justice, without going broke (SVS and pro stuff helps, though)

When you look at used prices, the performance for the dollar is just too good to ignore.

Thousands of soiled shorts can't be wrong9.gif

----------------

On 5/3/2003 6:55:28 PM jzoz01 wrote:

I am using a SS denon reciever and a DVD/SACD for music.

----------------

I too have run my Heritage system with SS amps for 22 years. I started with a 55wpc Onkyo receiver & moved up from there.

You are right... Heritage will show any flaws in your system, however, you have some very good equipment already. Denon equipment is very popular with many people here.

My first pair of Heresys (THAT I STILL OWN) were originally driven by a JVC receiver back in '81. They sounded so much better than the ADS speakers I was using before that. It only gets better from there, this hobby is all about improving our personal audio experiance over time.

My advise is to get your hands on some Heritage. Remember this if nothing else, since speakers compress the airwaves that travel to your ears, they are the MOST important part of your Audio setup.

Get some Heritage and ENJOY.

JM

Run Don't walk and get yourself some heritage speakers. As an owner of La Scala's for 23 years I have used a variety of SS amps and have never felt I was cheating my speakers. Even though I have a Denon HT reciever I still run my La Scala's with a big dual mono block Onkyo power amp and love the sound it produces. I have listened to many speakers over the years and I have always said. If I find ones that sound better I would buy them. Providing they did not cost more then 10k a pair, I guess I'm lucky since I have not heard a 10k speaker that is more pleasing to my ears then what I already own. However, if I had the corners I would buy myself some Khorns. does not mattter if its music or HT, If you want true dynamics, low distortion, and an incredible live sound then the only way your going to get it is with a pair of fully horn loaded heritage based speakers. But then again you don't have my ears, listen for yourself.

There, thats my 2 cents

jzoz01,

I know now what your refering to : Getting my Heresys was the best buy ever, and yes it did show the flaws in my system, to the point that I had to upgrade my cables to my cd player..... But was this ever an improvment! I am listening to classical music at this moment from the internet, and the imaging from my Heresys is fabulous!!!!

I've had a pair of Khorns for 25 years, and I love them more now than I did back then. At first I was after a quick, solid bass which my cheap Sony amp provided. As time went on, I began to appreciate a better sounding system. So I upgraded to an Adcom. Then I upgraded to Proceed, and finally I'm at the top with two Mark Levinson 334 amps. The other 334 is used for Lascalas in the rear. All of the times that I upgraded my electronical gear, not once did I ever consider replacing the Khorns. This means that you will never have to replace your speakers if you do it right the first time. Just make sure that these speakers have the sound that you like. It can be a pain trying to sell and ship 350 pounds of speaker gear. You will find that some people hate Khorns, because they sound harsh. Yes they most certainly can... if you have cheap gear up front. The better your gear is up front, the better your Khorns will sound. 1.gif

All I can say is "ditto" to all the above mentioned statements on Heritage Series, either new or used. My Cornwalls have been in the family since 1979, powered by such amps from Technics, Pioneer, Carver, and several McIntosh SS amps as well. Make the investment into Heritage horns if your budget allows. They'll last a lifetime, and their sound will only improve with better sources. Denon make wonderful components (owned a Denon DP-62L 'table/Sumiko Blue Point MC for 20 years), so you may not need to upgrade to a better amp just yet. Try it for yourself and see. Good luck.

What can I say that has not already been said! I did have a chance to audition a nice Klipsch Reference HT setup in my area. It consisted of RF-7's, RC-7, RS-7's, RF-5's and an RSW-15 it did sound great running off the Denon AVR-5803 and Denon DVD player that they had hooked to it. The avalanche seen on "XXX" was indeed impressive and enjoyable but I have to honestly say that it did not sound as good as my all Heritage HT for sheer dynamics and sound dispersion. The tweeters seemed to crackle sometimes with the intense avalanche effects. Although, that may have been the equipment. Don't get me wrong the Reference series is really nice stuff, but to my ears which have been around audio for quite some time the level of detail that I am used to was just not there. Just my two cents.

Hey Red.....did you know that Mark Levinson's father owned Klipschorns? Mark grew up with them. The ML2 25 watt class A amps were designed with two speakers in mind. Quad electrostatics & Khorns. Both need exceptionally clean power to sound their best.

Klipsch showed up at the Summer CES Show in Chicago one year (after a decade or 2 of absence) with all ML gear & a Linn turntable with a Klipsch phono pickup!

I had a set of belles. While I think they are a wonderful sounding speaker, they were not what I ( and this is just my opinion ) would consider consistant. What do I mean by that? For things like classical, new age, and softer styles of music, they sounded awesome. But for rock and role, they were not there for me. They lacked that crispy crunch and good hard solid deep bass. They have a very tight bass sound, not a deep boom sound that in my opinion is very much a part of rock and roll. Again just my opinion. Don't wanna start any wars with anyone. 1.gif

Now to be fair though. I was told repeatadly that if I had the proper gear to run them with and a better room, I would have gotten better bass response out of them.

And yes, the belles with the gear i was running them with, you could definitly hear a bad recording. Some of my CDs sounded great, some sounded like poop. But then again, was it the recording itself or was it the type music?

The RF7s in my opinion are a very awesome speaker. You can't go wrong with a set of these. They are more expensive than a pair of Cornwalls though. DeanG can give you his take on the difference between the two because he has both, RF7s and Cornwalls.

Anyway, just my friendly 2 bits. 1.gif