Has your system reached musical nirvana?

jt1stcav

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I like your post Jim. I have friends who have spent a literal FORTUNE on there equipment and I personally believe my system is 90-95% as good as theres at a fraction of the cost.

Buy a good USED set of Khorns, some good USED Mc components and you have a system that can dwarf most at a fairly reasonable cost."

BINGO.

I keep telling my friends the exact same thing. People look at my stuff and think I spent a truckload, when the reality is most of my gear was purchased at near garage sale prices. We have a big advantage on this forum, since the information here allows one to put together the "dream system" at far less than a dream salary.

Klipsch Heritage allows one to build a system in the top few percent of all systems. Every time I see someone drop $500-1000 on a new set of mains at one of our local stores, I just groan. If these people only knew. As we are all well aware of, besting the performance of Heritage is certainly possible - but very expensive. Spend double, triple, ten times....you can beat them. But is it worth all of that extra cost for those improvements? Not IMO.

Given the build quality of Heritage Klipsch, that makes the investment that much more worth it, especially if one is truly happy with the sound (which I am). Heritage makes that "musical nirvana" attainable for most who desire it. Even those with modest incomes can afford these...even with this forum, it's the best kept secret in audio.

I've yet to hear a system to rival mine.

I'm sure they're out there, and lots of them that would put mine to shame. But I am sure that they belong to overly rich people who spend hundreds of thousands of dollers.

For the money, I think I have got one of the best HT's around, and I am proud of it.

Special thanks for the people on this BB, who all helped in one way or another.(saved me alot of $$$)

Geez, I don't think it will ever be done, but I have gotten it to the point where it is damn close though with the addition of the KG-1's. There was a time that I was totally pleased with my system from 1989-1999, until the HT craze took over and Dolby Digital and DTS formats came to be. I bought a super nice two channel system while stationed in Ramstein, Germany. After bringing it back to the states it stayed pretty much the same for many years. In 1999, a dealer was going to take all my gear in trade for a Nakamichi IA1Z Integrated amp, and then changed his mind. At this point I decided to sell it all off myself and buy what I wanted and that is when it all started. The system has been changed, upgraded and modified so many times in the last 4 years it drives my wife crazy. Yesterday afternoon my wife and her sister watched a movie called Drumline and they were absolutely blown away with the sound. So detailed and realistic they were in awe, she now understands why all the buying, selling, trading, exchanging, takes place to get the system to where it is now. It is now to the point where not too many things can be bettered without some serious cost. Alot of the hand me downs go towards the bedroom system now, that is now becoming more than I thought it would be. Not to mention the car audio systems in both vehicles with all top notch components, one car is Kenwood themed, and the other Alpine. I think I have already reached the 1/4 million point that The Ear mentioned if I count all the car and home systems that I have had since I was about 15. Will it ever end - I doubt it. I am always looking at gear. I think my next venture will be in the tube world, I have never investigated that arena and it seems very interesting. Audio is a continual work in progress, there is always some tweek, better cabling, wire, etc. etc. Well at least I'm not spending all my money on women and booze, I have lots to show for it.

I wanted to clarify/add to my previous statement.

I have been very happy with my Forte's. They have served their role quite well for the last 12 years. After upgrading everthing else in my system, some more than once, I think it is time for a speaker change. My speakers are the only thing that have remained the same for 12 years. I think that's awesome.

Problem is, to what? Klipsch was a huge bang for the buck and it is hard to find better at less than double the price.

I'd like to move to Heritage but the WAF says definately not.

Now I am hoping to find something with a small footprint with the pleasing looks, and better quality sound. It's hard to do affordably.

My Klipsch have spoiled me.

Happy with my system and sound? YOU BET...

will I spend more in the future on components? Probably...besides my enjoyment of my music I have to admit I have succumbed to the hobby aspect...I love a new tube amp!

I thought carefully, I have about $6,000 in my system now, is it a giant killer? you bet! I have listened to friend's systems that have spent twice that much just on the speakers and I liked the sound of mine better (some of them did too!)

would I spend $50,000 on a new, start from scratch system, you bet! The hobbiest in me would love to go SOTA but I suspect I would not get more than a incremental improvment in sound at best. worth it? you bet! if you have the scratch it is always worth it to get as close as you can to "perfect reproduction"...

luckily for me I am 90% there (for me) with the finish line in site sound-wise...now I just need to get that 6SN7 pre, oh and maybe those 45 PP monoblocks...those valhalla cables and perhaps that trivista SACD player, THEN I should be fine...

Happy with my system? Thought I was until I joined this BB. lol I've always loved the sound of my corns with my SS. Always thought I had a killer system. Now I wonder, if I had tubes...... So now I have a 299b on the way. Will I be happier? I'll let you know in the next couple of weeks.

Happy with my system? Thought I was until I joined this BB. lol I've always loved the sound of my corns with my SS. Always thought I had a killer system. Now I wonder, if I had tubes...... So now I have a 299b on the way. Will I be happier? I'll let you know in the next couple of weeks.

Dark living room, system warmed up and cranked up, David Gilmour Live DVD playing scene 4 "Coming Back to Life" might be the closest to nirvana I get. Like others, probably never going to be finished with the system, but pretty damn happy with it for the moment...

I know people with 50k+ systems still searching for everlasting musical nirvana.The good part is most of us at something less than that can still reach temporary nirvana occaisionally,and thats pretty cool.

Thanks for all your contributions on this matter. I have to say that again tonight, my current system left me totally speechless after listening to "Franz Liszt: Six Piano Works, Stephen Hough, Piano" (1988, Musical Heritage Society MHS 512330M)...The concert grand was right there in my music room. The acoustics in the Henry Wood Hall in London were enveloping me. I could hear the pianist breath as he manipulated the keys. The piano was rich with thunderous lows and delicate highs; its tone was dynamic and full of life. And my simple system achieved this performance with ease!

When I stop to think about it, this system captivates my senses in ways my previous systems never did. My musical nirvana has been satisfied! Do I want to continue with upgrading my system? I don't know yet. But if I was to die tomorrow, at least I can pass through the Pearly Gates knowing I enjoyed my music to its fullest (and it can only get better from here on...)

Yes... I think I have, if not then it has been by far the closest I have ever came. I went into the theater, dimmed the lights down low put on some David Arkenstone.....

Just listened and absorbed the music. Let everything go and just listened. The melodies were so alive yet soothing.

I know these RF7s are not supposed to be as prestine as the heritage, but as sure as there is blue in the sky, these RF7s and RSW subs, havw to be the absolute best speakers I have ever listened to.

Have I achieved musical nirvana?

Time to pull out the checklist. Let us see, do I have good equipment for a decent price? At the new house, a set of walnut belles with the "new" Harman Kardon 630 receiver and cheap JVC cd/dvd/sacd player. Total cost - $1160 in the past six months. A definite yes here.

Wife approval factor? Maxed out with the belles. Yes!

Good room? Much improved over cinderbloc walls, but still a ways to go. A qualified yes.

Good music programming? Hey, it is my collection, so a definite yes again.

Just as I am getting settled in to a good two CD session, our four month old lights up the air raid siren, so I dash up to get him, and take him down in the basement, and try to settle him down. Only to find out, musical nirvana is the ability for one person to communicate the wondrous passion, love, artistry, and joy through a musical instrument to another. And it is especially miraculous when the Mamas and Papas and Simon and Garfunkel can do it with a crying four month old! MUCH MUCH MUCH joy!

Cheers

Dave

----------------

On 5/20/2003 1:29:23 AM m00n wrote:

I know these RF7s are not supposed to be as prestine as the heritage, but as sure as there is blue in the sky, these RF7s and RSW subs, havw to be the absolute best speakers I have ever listened to.

----------------

I know I have reached Nirvana for now (although better amps will surely be in the future). I used to (and still do in the basement) have a pair of Infinity RS2000.5 towers hooked up to a Yamaha RV702 reciever and it sounded pretty good. I listened to a lot of music on it and watched movies, but I rarely would just sit there and listen.

However, ever since I got these Klipsch RF-7s and the REL Storm III sub, I often found myself just sitting there and truly be captivated by the music. I dusted off my Yes boxed set that I had not listened to in who knows how long and played it again. It was like the band was right there in my living room performing. It was truly awesome. I just did not get that with my Infinity speakers. I have listened to quite a bit of Stratovarious on the Infinity/Yamaha setup and I thought it sounded awesome - but when I put it on my Klipsch for the first time, I was completely blown away! I am just sitting there on the couch going "Holy $#!+! This is too friggan incredible!" Even just this past couple of months with the Rush, Peter Gabriel, and then Kanses concerts on the DirecTV "freeview" channel. It was so awesome - it was like I was actually there!

Before this, I never really understood why people would just like to sit there and listen to music. I have always thought that was just boring, but now I know why! Maybe perhaps the setup I had before was boring, not the music - my current setup is anything but boring now!

Will we ever reach that perfect "dream system"? Perhaps not, even if given unlimited funds - there is always going to be that "something" that is better. I don't have unlimited funds, so what I currently have is going to have to be for now. In fact, the system I currently have now was my "dream system" when I still had the Infinity/Yamaha system. Now that I have my "dream system", I can see that I can even improve on that - my next dream system is the same speakers, but seperate amps and pre/pro - probably the B&K components - along with the SVS B2-Plus or if I can swing it, the B4-Plus, subwoofer, but that won't be for quite some time.

I know I have mentioned it on other posts, but I would love to relocate my system into my formal living room and out of the spare bedroom/office I have it in now. Being laid off in February put a big damper on alot of future plans I had, like buying a new audio rack and much longer speaker cables for the new installation. Who knows how good my near-perfect audio system will sound in a much larger, livelier room...it may sound so much better in my living room that I may not want for any future upgrades (or it may sound alot worse and I'll have to purchase sound treatment and tube amps to mellow it down some...LOL). Only time will tell.

amen on the B&K, I am forever loyal to that equipment and my klipsch....I'm heading off to a little piece of Nirvana I call Joe Satriani "Strange Beautiful Music" in multi-channel sacd.....if you haven't gotten that disc yet, you should...

----------------

On 5/21/2003 7:29:38 PM marksdad wrote:

skonopa, the b&k gear is amayzing, in black it looks like a monolith, only 7 buttons on the face, everything else is programmed, and the sound, my dear lord, it is something else, another new level of enjoyment
12.gif

----------------

Oh believe me, I know all about the sound! I am always going to the local dealer and playing with the B&K Ref 30 and the 7250 amp they have setup there.

Ohh yeahh!! I wish I was like you - having it my setup instead of the one at the dealer...