Best Jazz Recording(s)

ssh

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SSH,

I'm not a "tube guy" just yet. As you know, my newly purchased 299A is on the way to Craig, but here are a few CDs worth checking out.

Acoustic Alchemy - Against the Grain

Acoustic Alchemy - Positive Thinking

Chris Botti - Slowing Down the World

Craig Chaquico - Panorama

Roy Hargrove - Habana

If I recall, you like to listen for the plop of a sax pad so anything by John Klemmer, Paul Desmond, Grover Washington, etc would be good.

Didn't see your post on the other thread before posting the above. Thanks and that would be great. I have several old LPs of Desmound and look forward to Q-ing them up. John Klemmer as well. I would second Diana Krall.

I have felt for a long, long time that Roy DuNann was the one engineer who really got things "right" almost all of the time--he didn't work as often or as long as Rudy Van Gelder and thus hasn't really gotten his due, but for my money he is the best. DuNann worked for Les Koenig at Contemporary Records in Los Angeles from about 1955 until 1962. Some of his classics are:

Sonny Rollins "Way Out West"

Art Pepper "Art Pepper Meets the Rythym Section"

Leroy Vinnegar "Leroy Walks"

Harold Land "Harold in the Land of Jazz"

Curtis Counce "You Get More Bounce with Curtis Counce"

Hampton Hawes "For Real"

I suggest you buy all six of these today! The are all available as "OJC" CDs from Fantasy as far as I know. Some titles have been issued as "audiophile" CDs by JVC (XRCD) and Analogue Productions. Original vinyl is pretty scarce--especially in "Stereo"--and very expensive. Contemporary reissued most of these in the 70's and they're usually pretty cheap if you can find them and Fantasy reissued most of them on vinyl in the 80's.

Menfred Eicher has produced some wonderful sounding recordings over the years for his label ECM. Keith Jarrett, Jan Garbarek, Bobo Stenson, Pat Metheny....

ECM has numerous compilations available. They are a great resource to find your taste if you are also somewhat new to jazz as well. Some purists don't like ECM for stylistic as well as production choices they made (straight eighths vs. swing, use of electronic reverb, etc.). These are valid points, but a matter of taste rather than morality IMHO.1.gif

Charlie Haden's more recent work (Haunted Heart) comes to mind on the more traditional side of the tracks. As far as older stuff, "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" by Charles Mingus never fails to raise the hairs on the back of my neck by way of K-Horns & 299C. Of course, Kind of Blue is an accessible place to start. Columbia has a good dig remaster available (finally at the correct speed) on CD. The list could go on... what are your preferences in Jazz?

I picked up a CD two weeks ago without knowing anything about it other than the artist's names... Paul Desmond & Gerry Mulligan, "Two Of A Mind." Desmond on alto sax and Mulligan on baritone sax. Bass, drums & no piano. What a treat! These two legends of sax play off each other and its just magical. It's a 20 bit remaster by Victor Jazz and just sounds like it was made for tubes and horns.

"Dave Holland Big Band"

IMO this is one of the best new jazz recordings today. He doesn't play the smooth jazz thing, but it's a throwback to days gone bye with a great sounding recording and new tunes. I can't stress enough how good this cd is. Everytime I play it through my Scott and LaScalas, I can't believe how good it is. Did I mention how good it is?

Ah yes, Coltrane.

I was just listening to the Impulse rerelease of "Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard Again!"

Coltrane does seem to be somthing of an aquired taste, the taste of which I am still working on.

There are times when he just seems to reach out and stab you with that sax, but when he does it is a wonderful thing.

Peace, Josh

While Coltrane's Atlantic recordings are among the most important sides ever laid down (especially Giant Steps), I have always thought they sounded downright LOUSY when compared with the Contemporary and Blue Note recordings of the day---just talking sonics here, not musical merit! Once Coltrane reunited with RVG (who was the engineer on his Presitige and Blue Note LPs)the sound improved quite a bit. But RVG's work with Impulse! was pretty lame when compared with his work for Blue Note--not sure why that is--same studio, same engineer, but the Impulse! stuff lacks that close-miked in-your-face PRESENCE that Lion and Wolf preferred I guess. Rudy was just giving the customer what they asked for I suppose . . .

And the Norah Jones album? Jeesh--her vocals are so full of compression and reverb--YUCK! I think it's a mess, but I also think she's a run-of-the-mill singer with marignal talent who got VERY lucky . . .

I second "My Favorite Things" as a way to get acquainted with Coltrane if you're not used to the abstract stuff. But the original recording of that on CD lacks sparkle. Not sure if there's a later remaster.

"A Love Supreme" in the deluxe two disc set (remaster) sounds fantastic. I was surprised how abstract this album is given that it's often said to be the epitome. The second disc (live recording) is a looser and more listenable version to my ears. There is a long, wonderful bass solo. This album is so full of substance that any new jazz fan (such as myself) should spend time with it even it you haven't fully acquired the taste. Coltrane's story is integral and essential to fully appreciating the album.

J.

Yep,

The Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard Again has "my Favorite Things" on it.

It also includes the acoustic bass intro by Jimmy Garrison.

I had a reissue copy of Kind of Blue by Miles Davis but I gave that to my little brother.

Guess I'll have to go pick up another copy for myself as it seems I am really missing that right now.

Peace, Josh

Allan (Jazz Sensei),

I went to Tom Port's last Friday and bought several Pablo and OJC cutouts from him for $6.00-8.00 each. While I'm not sure if that is a deal or not, most of them sound pretty good. Especially since a few of them are digital recordings.

Pablo

- Harry Edison All-Stars, "'S Wonderful Live At Club House 33"

- Count Basie, "Fancy Pants"

- Ray Bryant, "The Best Of"

- Lockjaw Davis, "The Best Of"

- Michel Legrand, "After The Rain"

OJC, Fantasy, Contemperary

- Hank Crawford, "Roadhouse Symphony"

- Coleman Hawkins and Pee Wee Russel, "Jam Session In Swingville"

- Frank Morgan and the McCoy Tyner Trio, "Major Changes"

- Vince Guaraldi Trio, "A Charlie Brown Christmas"

I also bought

- Teddy Edwards/Howard McGhee, "Together Again!!!"

- Dave Brubeck, "Brubeck Plays Westside Story"

along with a couple of classical reocrds.

This all started with a call to Tom to buy the Teddy Edwards record you recommended. Thanks alot Allan.

Regards,

Chris