Best DVD Concerts

arthurs

I bought the Led Zeppelin DVD. I think the picture is good for footage that is nearly 30 years old and the sound is AMAZING. From the first sound of John Henry Bonham's drums you know you are in for a treat. Jimmy Page did a great job of putting this package together. If "The Song Remains the Same" is your reference point for live Led Zeppelin both the sound and the performances on this new DVD is ten times better.

My Home Theater

Klipsch RF-3II's

Klipsch RC-3

Klipsch RS-3 (4)

SVS 20-39 PC PLUS Subwoofer

Pioneer 45-TX Receiver

Denon 2900 DVD Player

Mitsubishi 65611 Rear Projection TV

----------------

On 5/26/2003 5:50:40 AM BBB wrote:

AC/DC 'Stiff Upper Lip'

I use these instead of dusting my RF-7s.
1.gif

----------------

Yeah boa12 used to comment on that DVD also. I am going to have to get that. Someone mentioned Rush... That will be another must have. Oh and Led Zepplin? Hmmmm. Guess I better head on over to amazon.com. 1.gif

U2 Elevation Tour Live from Boston 2001 is great, I went to a concert on that tour so i liked it even more. There are three differnt views to watch it from.....someone taped it from the 10th row with a handycam, the mixing board room, and the final cut. With videos from past tours and MTV videos.

Pearl Jam, Touring Band 2000. You can even catch that DVD on PBS every now and then.

I just picked up Diana Krall "Live in Paris". I have read here and there that she is a wonderful vocalist and musician, and she is. However, no one ever mentioned that she was such a hottie. That woman is very talented!9.gif

In many concerts the surrounds handle crowd noise. In this recording the rears carry alot of the piano. It sounds like you are sitting onstage. If you buy this concert make sure you surrounds are up to the task.

----------------

On 5/25/2003 4:45:08 PM arthurs wrote:

How about opinions on the best concert DVD's based on quality of sound and video on the disc?

----------------

Here is a post I made about a month ago in another thread. I'll paste it here for your enjoyment. Sorry to bore the others of you who have already seen it.

As a side note I was talking with an acquantance who works at a local independent record\cd store and he was telling me he has heard good reviews about the new Led Zeppelin DVD. Five hours of video on it I think.

My original post ----------------------------------------

Here are some of my favorites.

1. U2 - Elevation, Live from Boston.

(Awesome live recording and 5.1 surround. Get it!)

I'm currently taking a break from sanding my La Scalas. Hot down here on the Gulf Coast. Can't wait to listen to U2 dvd on my Klipsch. Just got the La Scalas and had to replace the woofers (2 new K33s) and both tweeter diaphragms. Haven't heard the speakers yet in all of their glory. This dvd will be one of the first I listen to.

2. The Band - The Last Waltz.

This is another one you have to buy if you like The Band. All their "friends" come and jam during their goodbye concert. Clapton, Neil Young, and many more. Some awesome vocals on this one. Especially the tune with the Staple singers. Great recording, originally on film.

3. The Moody Blues - Live at Royal Albert Hall

Have been a Moody Blues fan for years. This dvd is also a great live recording with great 5.1 surround. Like U2 this one has incredible clarity of sound and good balance between the band and audience.

4. Fleetwood Mac - The Dance 1997

As you may know Fleetwood Mac has a great low end and drums along with of course vocals, guitar and keyboards. Very tight live recording with good tight bottom end. Also features the USC marching band coming on stage and doing 2 songs at the end. Tusk is one of them.

5. Rolling Stones - Bridges to Babylon 1998

This is a good one. Recorded live with 5.1 surround. Band is tight. They do most of their "hits". May be a better recording of the Stones. Not sure. Just wanted some of their tunes to watch sometimes.

6. Dave Matthews Band - Live at Folsom Field.

I'm not a big DMB fan but I like the syncopation and counter melodies juxtaposed against the vocals and melodies with this bands music. The music is complex the lyrics at times a bit to esoteric for me. Great live recording and 5.1 surround. The band is tight and were primed for this concert.

7. Widespread Panic - Live at Oak Mountain.

This is a great recording with 5.1 surround. Wish they had played more of their music that I'm familiar with. It's a 2 dvd set with a lot of long jams and improvisation. If you like WSP you'll probably enjoy this dvd.

8. Elton John - Live at Madison Square Garden.

This is an excellent dvd and concert recording. He does most all of his "hits" and side one of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. This will be the first dvd I listen to when I finish assembling my La Scalas. I would recommend buying this one. He and the band are tight, the clarity and quality of the recording are excellent. Many other entertainers come to sing with him: Billy Joel, Anastacia. Anastacia does Saturday Night is Allright for Fighting with John and rocks. Except for the slow "love songs" which I don't care for the other songs really rock. Get this dvd.

I bought the Sound of Music for my dad and his wife but I haven't seen it yet. I'll rip it next time I'm at their home and watch it. I would bet it's worth the $19 I paid for it though.

I have others but I wouldn't buy them again. Carol King Concert, Allman Brothers Band - Brothers of the Road, Grateful Dead and Lynyrd Skynyrd to name a few.

Tony Boone

• 1 month later...

I'll chime in with a couple not mentioned.

Bruce Springsteen - Live from New York City:

What can I say, he's the Boss. Very good video and excellent sound. How the man puts on a show like that is amazing. I got tired watching him.

Sade - Live:

OMG...she's like, uh, I dunno, the epitome of sensuality IMHO. Oh, and yeah the audio (DTS) is excellent. The video is ok, but I'm thinking it was shot to look a bit grainy. But Sade...OMG, someone gimme a cigarette (and I don't even smoke). 11.gif

Tom

Nine Inch Nails: And All that Could Have Been has some of the best sounding live audio I've ever heard. I have the DTS version, and man, does it rock. Great Stage Show.

Looking forward to the new live DVD's from Rush and Tool as well.

Sade - Lover's Live

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live

Oasis - Familiar To Millions

Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio

Sarah McLachlan - Mirrorball

The Black Sabbath Story Volume One

...just a few that I dig. But the only one that made me wet myself in awe the first time I played it was the new Led Zeppelin DVD. Amazing footage and even more amazing sound. Amazing playing too - there's not a bad note on it.

Ditto on "Hell freezes Over."

Other great Concerts:

Bela Fleck Live at the Quick (where else can you get banjo and throat-singing?)

Jethro Tull -- the 2001 "Live From the Past" DVD

Talking Heads -- Stop Making Sense

James Taylor Live at the Beacon

Only Okay: Don Henley sans Eagles; and the DTS audio double-disk of Bonnie Raitt Live (very marginal sound).

For something slightly different but darn good --

I've got to keep plugging the AIX DVD's that have DVD-A recordings on one side of the disk and videos of the recoding sessions on the other -- sound quality on both sides is supurb (especially the Nitty Gritty Surrund disk).

Santana - Supernatural Live - I actually use this as a demo disc. Although it is only 4:3 the colors are vivid (esp the purples great for seeing if you have fixed a red push issue) and the sound rocks!!

Grateful Dead - Pick one they are all good!! The pic is 4:3 and the sound is DD2.0 but still some of the best sounding and looking concert DVD's I own.

Here are two I can't believe that nobody has mentioned yet

Woodstock - Best this as looked and sound ever

Montery Pop Festivial - Great restoration job, performances, etc..

I will second the recommendations on these:

Led Zepplin - I have played both DVD's several times and I am still blown away by it. The only problem is on the DD5.1 track on the first DVD. Myself and others have noticed some static (almost like high recording level distortion) coming from the Center channel every now and then. This is not present on the DTS track.

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense - Great 16:9 anamorphic pic and the sound is awesome

Fleetwood Mac - The Dance - great pic and sound

AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip - The 16:9 anamorphic pic is better than the sound but still very good. Other than vinyl the best sounding AC/DC I have heard on my system as their CD's really sound like crap to me.

The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over - Great pic and sound

AIX Records - Various DVD-A's - I have several of these and the video sides are cool to look at. The sound is simply outstanding. Great DVD-A demo discs. I love the Nitty Gritty Band and the Jack Smith Jazz Trio!