What were you listening to on the holiday wekend?

In vinyl I have acquired the 70s catalog of Poco and Loggins & Messina in the past couple of months.

Really good summer music.

Got a nice copy of Stones "Hot Rocks".

Still not sure why I like it. Midnight Rambler is mindless fun.

There is a CD compilation called "Songbirds" a female vocal mix my wife found at Barnes and Noble.

Celtic ladies, pop and others; just nice perky stuff.

And if she likes it we're in good position for a ittle summer fun.16.gif

what was I listning to......hhhmmmmmmm......lets see I started out on friday with ...oh I was out of town on friday...sat.. started out with some 70s disco.....(the chicks love it)..then when I couldnt stand that anymore..oldies and classic rock from 68' to bout 75'-76'the stuff you dont hear everyday... like the radio and sunday was misc. day....streaming internet ......gc

I had to work at Guitar Center on the 4th (sucks, but the holiday pay was worth it). Over the PA system was tunes from The Rolling Stones, Journey, Ted Nugent, Van Hallen, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Cars, Black Sabbath, John Cougar Mellencamp, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, and Queen...to name a few.

I mostly listened to live Grateful Dead which I hadn't really done since I got the scott. Sounded better than I anticipated due to the quality of some of the older recordings. The newer recordings were amazing. Too hot to go outside much so there was lots of time to play.1.gif

Went over to the in-laws for a cookout and a swim. They had a man named Iz playing through outdoor Bose.6.gif It's somekind of Hawaiin music (they just got back a few weeks ago). Needless to say it was quite disturbing. After about 10 mins. I couldn't take it anymore. I put in BareNakedLadies Maroon. Good CD to relax by the pool to. 2.gif

Mostly, the sound of fireworks exploding, children laughing, glasses clinking and waves crashing.

And, I had to listen to the cop who gave me a summons for driving my Camaro with a bad plate. :(

Whoops......

Can't win 'em all. :)

I did spend a few hours in my almost complete garage sitting in front of a fan and spinning some classics.

Some YES 90218, Doobie Bros (the one w/ the big raoch on it), Sargent Pepper's, Rush 2112, Steely Dan Royal Scam, and a few of the Marsalis Bros, were on the bill.

Oh... and some Gearge Carlin.

Class clown, I believe.

Good times.....mostly.

I was sampling modern music that sounded rather vintage....

White Stripes (sounded like Buzzcocks)

Vines - garage rock

some San Diego band that sounded like the Cramps

I also broke out some 70's stuff like SWEET, BROWNSVILLE STATION

And then I spun my fav Dvorak CD "for the new world" and some Chopin.

I spent the entire morning of the 4th listening to a whole lot of Art Blakey records--all six of the live Blue Notes (BN 1507, 1508, 4015, 4016, 4054, 4055) and then I topped it off with the two Dondald Byrd live at the Half Note records (4060, 4061). Four straight hours of cookin' hard bop--pretty nice way to spend a holiday morning!

----------------

On 7/8/2003 8:22:36 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Four straight hours of cookin' hard bop--pretty nice way to spend a holiday morning!

----------------

Musically, far better than mine. Spent the 4th in Ohio at my sweethearts Family Reunion. Just try to remember the names of 15 siblings, not to mention their offsprings!

The Great Blue Heron festival in Sherman, NY!! www.greatblueheron.com

In between bands at the campsite:

Donna the Buffalo

Phish (for buddy's girlfriend)

Pat Metheney "Bright Size Life"

Ella Fitzgerald -early stuff compilation

Miles Davis "In a Silent Way"-just as a huge storm was rolling in-perfect!!

Neil Young "After the Gold Rush"

Grateful Dead -I have no idea what almost any of their music is called1.gif

Highlights of the live music:

Donna the Buffalo

Slo-mo

Innervisions

Smackdab

The Hix

River City Slim & the Zydeco Hogs

Horace SilverSong for My Father

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers w/ Thelonious Monk

David Fathead NewmanMr Gentle, Mr Cool

Michael BreckerThe Nearness of You

Keith JarrettSilence

Les McCann & Eddie HarrisSwiss Movement

Michel PetruccianiBoth Worlds

Anybody who likes Steely Dan need to hear "Song for My Father."

John

----------------

On 7/8/2003 10:24:26 AM jtice wrote:

Anybody who likes Steely Dan need to hear "Song for My Father."

John

----------------

Yeah, and "As Long As You Know You're Livin' Yours" from Belongings (Jarrett/Garbarek). Gaucho was a blatant lift!!

Joe Henderson's solo on "Song For My Father" is one of my all-time favorite passages in the HISTORY of recorded music. This might sound a little over the top, but even after hearing it HUNDREDS, maybe even THOUSANDS of times over the years it still sends chills up and down my spine. This solo was my introduction to Joe Henderson (as it was for most of us I'll bet). I can't reccomend his Blue Note and first four or five Milestone LPs highly enough. Check out "Our Thing" and "Page One" on Blue Note and "If You're Not Part of the Solution . . ." (live at the Lighthouse, 1970) on Milestone. Henderson was a MONSTER and I still can't believe he's dead. I last heard him live at Catalina's here in Hollywood a couple of years ago--it was a rainy weekday evening and only about 20 people showed up, but Joe blew the roof off the place--he gave everything he had just as he always did.

----------------

On 7/8/2003 10:43:55 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Joe Henderson's solo on "Song For My Father" is one of my all-time favorite passages in the HISTORY of recorded music.

----------------

Wownow that's what I call a compliment.

I'm kinda nuts about it tooin fact, the whole album is so good and so easy to listen to. I've been playing it daily. It's taken awhile to not hear that other song in the melody. So what do you all think about the borrowing of the barswas it honorable imitation, as in a tribute?

John