Yo Craig, not everyone is out to get you ...

Audio Flynn

Holy fright Ryan I'm not sure where all of that came from but I can only say one thing Thanks !

Edmund & Guy ,

You 2 are unbelieveable ! Guy exactly what about that post proves anything ? When have I ever said my expereince with tube audio was before that time frame ?? Come up with something a little better then that please !! Edmund your post isn't even worth a response but that is nothing new !

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

O.K. Ryan, I take back everything I said about you. I repent in dust and ashes. What class.

You mentioned "overheating" the parts. I know I do this and it bugs the crap out of me. I even heat-sink the leads with clips, but I always feel like I'm on the joint too long. Can you two tell me how I can tell too long is TOO LONG? I especially worry about capacitors -- is there a way to tell I've overdone it, and have possibly damaged a part?

Nice job, Ryan. That gets the award of most surprising post, at least until Kelly decides that tubes aren't what they're cracked up to be.

These criticisms by others above of Craig about him not having enough experience are ridiculous. If the number of years of listening were the important thing, we'd just rank people's opinions according to age. Anyway, Craig's no spring chicken.

Of course there are going to be disagreements on people's notions of what sounds best. But it's a silly thing to get offended about. "Mommy, Craig doesn't like the same rectifier that I do. Waaaaahhhhh waaaaahhhhhh boo hoo."

----------------

On 9/1/2003 8:24:41 AM JCturboT wrote:

Ryan,

Congratulations on your newly acquired Scott 290 ?What kind of shape is it in? Most importantly ,how does it sound? I know you've been looking for some time-glad you scored one.

Jeff

----------------

Jeff,

The amp is still on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3044225588&category=39783&rd=1

----------------

On 9/1/2003 8:55:29 AM Guy Landau wrote:

Jeff,

The amp is still on ebay

----------------

Guy,

Yes, that particular 290 is still up for sale but I know from talking to Ryan that he has just recently acquired a Scott 290 for himself and was curious his thoughts on this very rare unit.

Jeff

My trick is to keep the tip of the Iron tinned and the wattage up on point to point wiring. Get a good mechanical connection first ! Touch the iron to the joint and quickly add a tad of solder between the iron and the leads to be soldered then move the solder to the oposite side of the joint with the iron hot this process takes seconds ! The key here is fast be ready with everything in place. I find stranded leads on capacitors to be the hardest to solder without heat problems. With circuit boards turn the heat down they fragile and do not require major heat since your just soldering small area's with thin traces it just doesn't take much draw on the iron to heat them.

Craig

I found it by luck. I saw an ad in the newspaper for "shortwave radios, tubes, and other electronic equipment". When I went to check the stuff out, I found that the "other electronic equipment" was a Scott 290! I bought the entire lot for $200, it was a great deal.

Don't you love deals like that 1.gif

Greetings:

Well, my take, and I'll take all on, Jazzman and Guy.

I've owned Klipsch for thirty years, I've repaired, learned and re- repaired. I've been through the Eastman School of Music for Sound Amplication, Recording, Recording Engineering. I've worked on the road, in the Studio and have also worked on learning room dimension in sound re-enforcement, etc..

I've also been through the Police Academy, Family Crisi Intervention Team, Victim/Witness Assistance Unit, Crime Analysis, Crime Prevention.

In both of the two (2) above paragraphs of accomplishments, I have a Curricilum Vitae for testifying in Court.

You mention that Craig did not own Klipsch before. I guess he does now. That's the purpose of the Forum, that's the pupose of life. Learning.

You mention Craig does not know how to properly repair equipment or give advice on tweaks. Have either of you sent ONE piece of equipment to him for repair?

If the answer is NO, what have you got to complain about? If the answer is yes, did he offer to fix it, I'm sure he did.

I don't care who started it, name calling is for children when they have nothing else of import to say.

There is no place for it on the Forum. We are supposed to be civilized - let's prove it. We can disagree without getting personal.

As for credentials, I think of the words those that do can, those that can't teach. Even that is low.

There are MANY on the Forum that have sent equipment to Craig for repair and are exteremely happy.

Is there no place for learning on the job? I guess a lot of people will be out of work if there is not. Can anyone tune an instrument by ear ? Yes. The same goes for putting equipment into spec.

I agree there is a purpose in differing opinions.

I disagree with name calling, foul language, insults and sand box behavior. Opinions are those, opinions.

There are rules in debating, there is an unsaid rule for Forums as these, don't get personal. You jump into the emotional pit and you sound emotional, your message does not get through. Even if your message is valid to you.

If what Craig posts on the Forum, don't read his posts. That's quite simple.

I, for one will read his posts, Ryan's posts and learn as they post. I will read the posts of even those I disagree with. It's being proper, and being adult, somewhere in a post may be other things to learn. I do not know it all. No human does.

Win dodger

Hello:

Excuse me for incorrect spelling, Jazman.

In circuit design, amplifier design: push-pull, Class A, Class AB, SET, etc., there is a fair amount of soldering.

When changing parts, there is a certain place to go when you know that certain part has worked within a circuit.

To go beyond, you hit the realm of circuit design. I've never read a post of Craig's other than the virtue of 7199 vs 6U8 where he has claimed to design circuits or amplifiers.

A person can become quite an expert with a sniper rifle in a year. Even Basic training is only so long.

A pilot does not have to repair his own plane, even if he attends Top Gun. Lt. Col. Lomax, retired aide to Colin Powell, Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff will attest to both. I also believe the Lt. Col. received a promotion prior to retiring.

And if I may ask what difference does it make in this world whether Craig or an offspring have in listening to Klipsch. I have listened to the RB 35s and can have my own opinion and a very good idea of the sonic quality, construction, price, materials used in the construction, which is different than construction, and how long have they been on the market?

As I said, no one forces a person to read posts. I add that I concur with the example of the sewing machine and the ability to comment on all machines, fabric, bobbins, stitch, polyester vs cotton thread, whether to use stop fray when making a button hole, when to use a Serger.

We all have our niche, our favorites. Though we may well want everyone to agree with us is impossible, save for a few cases. That is why we are different.

I have seen mostly attacks from those that do not care for Craig. I have seen insults - there ARE other ways to phrase an opinion without insulting. It may take a little time, but it can be done.

We get enough irritation from the news most of the time.

Keep this to a debate over merits and the ability to change, learn and have it equipment repair vs equipment designing (new circuits) on a real time basis.

May you all have a peaceful Holiday.

Win dodger

Well said Win I'm just as guilty as anyone else but for the most part I never attack until attacked. I need to learn to just ignore this silly stuff but its really against my nature. Growing up with 11 brothers and sisters you learn fast to stand up for yourself or get trampled over 2.gif

Dodger:

Nicely stated.

-----

Guys, feel free to state an opinion on a product, benefits, concerns, etc... I go back to school tomorrow where I get to listen to grade seven and eight girls discuss who did what to whom, who dissed them, gave them cut eye, spreading rumours, gossip, etc... Please do not bring this forum down to that level. I am here to learn and help others whenever I can, the same reason most of us are here.

This is a great place, please keep it that way.

Don

Greetings:

I sincerely thank you both for the compliments.

I also thank Jazman and Guy for not jumping on my posts.

We all have a LOT to give and I enjoy learning from all of you. A number of times what I have learned has been through some of the humour to which almost everyone, including Jazman and Guy, have contributed.

The base of knowledge that I have seen on this Forum could lead to, at a minimum, an Associate's Degree, just by reading the posts.

For the "lurkers" I would love to read serious posts and I, for one, encourage serious posting.

I was just speaking with a good friend in Spartansburg, SC, and we both agreed, "We're all in this together, not just the sound, the equipment, but the learning and life.

So, again, thanks for not jumping on me. For all people that post, thanks for lessons I could not get anywhere else.

If you have to travel, I hope for a safe destination and for a good rest of the Holiday.

Thanks,

Win dodger

All of ya'll (that the plural version of ya'll, in Texas) shut up...... For christ sake, bury this thread!!

The 3 of you boys are grounded, no more Klipsch Forum for a week. Then, before your allowed to come back, you have to give each other a hug.