KHORNS 750.00 IN SAN FRANCISCO

louis

Greg,

You're correct that "bigger" is a great way to descibe the sound compared to the other two Heritage speakers I've owned. It's such a PIA to post photos, but when I have the time to throw one or two on a site and create some links, I will do so and create a new post with better diagnostics than my ears.

Klipsch out.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edmond,

Congrats on a great buy! - I'll be interested in hearing your comparisons over the next few weeks, as I also have the Belles and Moondogs. I remember seeing the Belles in your place and could not remember if you had the proper corners for K-Horns.

I am also getting another pair of speakers next month a Single-coaxial driver speaker made in Holland. I'll probably always keep my Belles though as I like their sound and I've got too much work into refurbishing them! I really enjoy the Belle/Moondog sound also!

Congratulations, Jazzman! I heard about those speakers just a little too late to get 'em myself. Just as well, though. Money is extremely tight right now (Hmm...mortgage, or Klipschorns...).

Enjoy them!

fini

----------------

On 10/23/2003 2:22:51 PM jazman wrote:

Ben,

This year Khorn 1993 has a different SN for HF and LF cabinets.

KB FB HF XXXXXXXXor

KB FB LF XXXXXXXX

So I guess that means Birch and an FB finish. I could assume that is a Black lacquer finish which would require a furniture wax. I have no immediate plans to launch a restore project, and the room where I have them will not be subject to floor or baseboard heaters. So far I've only wiped the top cabinets finish with a Pledge cloth. I'm sure there are better products available. What would you suggest?

Klipsch out.

----------------

Actually that's what HDBR suggested, if I remember correctly. I haven't used anything else, so have no other suggestions. He did mention that over time, this will leave a residue which may have to be stripped. If you do a search on his past posts, there's tons of good info.

Andy,

I really thought the Belles were that last speaker I'd buy, though the thought of owning Khorns lingers in the back of most Klispch owner heads, I did not foresee them in my budget.

Wes,

What a concert for FREE!

Kevin,

There is much to like about the Belles/Moondog pairing. The sound clarity of the all horn loaded speaker. This is also what you hear with the Khorns, but with the larger midrange horn and additional low frequency response. I had my Belles located across the same corners where the Khorns are now, but the Belles were at a 30 degree toe in to my listening position. This created the best imaging, soundstage and low frequency response of every location I tried. I think I may have to adjust my listening spot back a bit to achieve the equal imaging and stage I had achieved with the Belles. The 45 degree insertion of Khorns in corners I believe is why there was the third center channel that PWK used, which I now believe was to fill the gap in the middle of the listeners soundstage. Neverthelelss, I'm enjoying the sound of the Khorns.

fini,

Mortgage first! I'm more than surprised I contacted the seller before you.

ssh,

I normally don't have much fluff in my budget in these post 9/11 times, but did a quick reallocation. If they had been $1,050, I would have been SOL. The possible damaged driver surely reduced interest also.

Ben,

I'll continue to use the Pledge cloths. I don't think the previous owner ever did anything to care for the finish.

Klipsch out.

FWIW, Guardsman's cream furniture polish with 'Wood Sent' is what I used on a pair of used mid 80's Black KG-4's. The previous owners wife swore it was all she used, and those speakers looked excellent. Bought some and loved it. Ended up giving the speakers and Guardsman polish to my son. It worked well for me and I liked the sent.

The 16 oz size below usually cost between 4.99 - 5.99. Where to buy link: http://www.guardsman.com/furncare/gmanprod.html

Guardsman.jpg

Kevin,

Thanks for the reduction. The color of these Khorns is not my first choice, but at the price, they are "beautiful". I have not done anything with the Belles at this point other have them sitting further back in the same room, near the dining area. I have no plans for them at this point other than moving them into protective custody in my garage. Eventually, I guess they will be for sale. If I decide to refinish the Khorns, I would need them while the work is in progress.

Klipsch out.