Amp pricing

NOSValves

CRAIG : Ask what you feel is a fair price for the goods being recieved, i've ran a business for the past 10 years and i don't look at the compitition. I worry about what i'm doing and the product i'm producing for the price i charge.

First lesson to learn in retail is avoiding the mass produced trap , these lures have flushed many a business by trying to compete olny to realize you've lost your business trying to do it.

Believe it or not there are manufactures out there selling there products for less than the cost of production , it's called running a business at a loss and used to funnel money from one business to the next to avoid the tax man.

We could go on for hours about marketing tactics but we'll end up back at the start, ask what you feel there worth and " " what everyone else thinks .2.gif

What gauge of aluminum plate are you using with those amps? And what would be the minimum thickness of metal gauge that you think could go without comprimising from the weight of the transformers, etc..

If somebody builds bases for you, and get's that out of your way, then you could get a sheetmetal shop to punch out the top plates.

(That will eliminate the brake process.)

I used to do the CNC Amada turrent punch press thing.

You could probably get 4 to 6 plates off one aluminum blank, depends on the size and how it works out dimension-wise, the length/width of the table on the press, etc....

Those plates are just pretty much a few various size holes, nothing really complicated as far as the CNC tape program would be.

Where I set up jobs for aluminum blanks that would fill the turrent with tooling, with the "C" axis punch going for nibbling weird shapes, 5 billion holes, etc, etc.... Some jobs took twenty minutes to punch 8, or 10 parts or so.

That softer aluminum isn't fun either, if the tooling isn't good and sharp, it snags, or throws little chunks of shavings that mash dings onto the part, rendering a reject.

Lotsa masking tape on the punch holder, and tons of that metal soap stuff cures that mostly.

Nothing like a dull 4" punch snagging on a piece of 10 gauge cold roll steel, digging out the buckled blank from in between the turrets and guards, mutter....

I liked the T6 aluminum. (I think that's right.)

This stuff had a little bit of nickel in it, it was strong aluminum even at smaller gauges, though it is spendy.

The recycling joints paid dearly for the stuff. 11.gif

Craig, if you want to cut time and costs on punching and assembling the aluminum/steel chassis, hit your local ITT/Ranken/Technical college and say "Have i got a deal for you."

Give the instructor the hand drawn diagram, the blanking plates or cut sheets, and in a week ten students will turn out ten chassis for supply costs, get a grade, and you will have three great chassis, five usable chassis, two OK chassis, and a POS. Plus you will have ten perfect CAD sheets and three perfect CAM programs.

Total costs - the sheets, an hour to hand draw the schematic, three hours beforehand convincing the instructor of the project at a bar, and you will end up with access to the college machine shop once a month for four hours on your own. It is worth investigating a win-win situation like this...

----------------

On 1/15/2004 1:16:59 AM NOSValves wrote:

Okay we got the cosmetic thread out of the way thanks everyone for your comments. Somehow I mentioned pricing with a good measure of distain in reply. I need some more opinions. After adding these up I'm pretty depressed and just about ready to say this just isn't worth it.

So some people said that 2K put me in the price range of some heavy hitters. So I ask who and what models ?? Now keep in mind these are Mono blocks and when it come to powerful amps this makes a huge difference (jeck I think it makes a difference in all amps) so no Stereo KT88's there not in the same league or Category !

Come on all you shoppers give me my Competition.

By the way unless cost can be cut 2K is absolutely not a reachable figure ! I'm worth more then hamburger flipping pay ...... Well at least I hope so.

Craig

----------------

I want one

9.gif