Great CDs to round out a collection

sheltie dave

I started digging for some good CDs to answer Pirhana's question from another thread, and decided to fire up a new thread. I culled through my schizophrenic pastiche of about 800 cds to find a small group that had excellant recording/engineering, a solid song set, stood at the top of a musical genre, and had both critical and sales success.

In no paticular order,

The Temptations, My Girl: the very best of, Motown #440017298-2

Thirty six classics from Motown's best vocal group, The Temps had the best lead singer, the best four way harmonies, and were the only Motown group that dominated pop, soul, and psychedelic without losing their cool or pandering. The Temps are the paragon of class, and no music catalogue should exist without a Temps offering. "Just My Imagination" is a perfect demo for Klipsch speakers, also9.gif

Richard Thompson, Across a Crowded Room, Polydar #825421-2

Arising out of the seminal British folk scene with Fairport Convention, Richard is a leading axeman(and Eric Clapton's favorite.) Richard is truly at ease with any guitar in hand, spinning tunes about love dashed, or reuilding an MG BGT, with a style forlorn one minute, bitter the next, and always musical. A wonderful troubador.

Orchestral Manoeuvers in the Dark, The Best of OMD, Virgin 7502-15186-2

OMD was a literate synth new wave band from England, that scored only two US hits with "So in Love" and "If You Leave," but they were a major hit machine in England. A combination of strong writing, with well honed keyboard textures and a strong sense of history(a la Al Stewart,) make their selction an easy one.

John Mellencamp, Scarecrow, Polygram #422824865-2

Kenny Aranoff and Larry Crane dominate this album, creating a Midwestern "Exiles on Main Street." This album is the apogee of Mellencamp's catalogue, and is the first where he gains full artistic control and sings intensely personal songs. Albums where artistic and musical approaches gel at the same time are quite rare, and almost always brilliant. This album actually sounds better the louder you play it.

Midnight Oil, Diesel and Dust, Columbia #746440967-2

I have few incendiary albums in my collection, with this and the Sugarcube's first album being two examples. One of a few overtly political bands, Midnight Oil allows empty space, plenty of clean instrument seperation, and thundering runs to dominate a sparce canvas. Listening to this album is like getting slapped by a ten pound chuck roast - you will either love it or bury it under a couch cushion. In concert, it certainly helped having a pissed off seven foot lead singer dominate the stage!

These CDs all sparkle with Klipsch speakers, and don't make it into a lot of music collections(outside of Mellencamp's...)

I second "Across A Crowded Room" being a great record or CD. I also recommend his "Hand of Kindness" and "Shoot Out the Lights," which he recorded with his wife at the time, Linda.

Among the best concerts I've ever attended were the two Richard Thompson Band shows (back to back) in a bar in Columbus on Halloween 1986.

Shawn Colvin, Cover Girl (1994, Sony Music) is a favourite of mine. Not what you would call top 40, but a very enjoyable recording that is well done and really shows off the equipment.

The Heart of Saturday Night (T. Waits), Window to the World (T. Littlefield), If These Walls Could Speak (J. Webb), This Must be the Place (D. Byrne)are the ones I love the best. There are more, but these are the ones I will select if I only have time for a few songs.

It is very simple music, acoustic guitar, the odd keyboard and some songs have drums as accompaniment. She has a beautiful voice and I can hear the guitar being plucked on some of the songs. Late at night, just before bed is the perfect time for this little gem I sometimes see in used cd stores. It bears no resemblance to her laterWhen Sonny Came Home, which seems to emulate Sheryl Crow.

Thanks for the recommendations. I recall Midnight Oil, Diesel and Dust well. I also have Red Sails in the Sunset. I purchased them both in the late 80's. Both are excellent musically. However I would think it is a stretch at best to describe the quality of the recordings anything better than fair. They both, to my ears, are typical of the mid, late 80's CD's, bright and thin.

Brad

Here lemme throw in a couple:

California - Mr. Bungle ('99). If you ever liked the Beach Boys (or hated them, either is appropo) this album is for you. Mike Patton and the boys do to Brian Wilson what Zappa did to Elton John back in '78. Guaranteed to showcase the raw dynamic range capabilities of a pair of Klipsch.

Mexican Moon - Concrete Blonde ('94). Great straight-up rock and roll album. 15 songs featuring Johnnette Napolitano covering every imaginable base from borderline heavy metal to synth pop to Latin to Americana. As an added bonus, her wide-ranging contralto voice and her gorgeous self-harmonization is at times bone-chilling, at other times soft as a pillow, but always engaging. Great music to get lost in.

Let me toss Willie and Lobo's Caliente into the mix. Two wonderful muscians that play what's been described as Flamenco Jazz (Spanish guitar and Violin with some help from their friends). As a bonus this cd is in the XRCD format Originally Tower Records carried them in the World Section but now for some reason the're under New Age. Caliente sounds so very sweet on my Kg 3.5's.

(Their other cd's are great to except for Puerto Vallarta Squeze which is a compilation)

Have to second Concerete Blonde. Seen them in concert three times. All their sutff is great, lyrics, voice(beyond belief powerfull), guitar etc.

----------------

On 4/1/2004 12:27:49 AM garymd wrote:

Chris Rhea, Road To Hell

Nobody else seems to have this one. The recording is awesome. The song "Texas" had limited airplay and is a definite "show-off the system" song. Everyone I play it for HAS to get a copy.

----------------

Thanks Gary! This is one I've been meaning to get, except that I keep forgetting about it. Now, I've added it to my list and won't forget it again.