Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Very nice, Pete. Your photos are a bit dark. I now use 6 Heresies in my home theatre. Two Heresies for fronts, Heresy II for center, two more Heresies for surrounds and another Heresy II for back surround.

Here are some current pics of the theater room with a trial of 5 heresies.

Hello everyone! Well, here they are, RE-posted to this forum for your viewing. Don't want to get too wordy here, so I will try to keep it short.

This is more of a THEATER-theater rather then a multi-function style media room. The equipment is VERY minimal and straight forward and hidden from view. DTS Master Audio 7.1 and 6 channel SACD are heard here, NO cable or satellite feeds (thats for other rooms in the house)

Black velvet and red sateen curtains surround the room completely and custom made on site by a hired professional. 4 channels of remote lighting including LEDs in the cove and front curtains highlighting.

Sub-contractors were hired to build the custom 'Deco' columns AND to remove a double sliding door closet, related walls and ceiling to square up the room, a new ceiling installed.......

This WAS a bedroom and lucky there were enough in the house to give one up of a dedicated theater, something we had in mind when home shopping. The plans for this one were in the works for a long time before we could commit to starting the project (almost 3 years!)

Only thing needed to complete this room are genuine 'rocker' theater seats. We are going with these to keep it looking like the real thing rather then going with 'livingroom' style furnishings.........well, you get the idea [;)]

Hope you like it...

.......Gary

PS. Steve, you are too funny [:)]

post-23544-13819525444738_thumb.jpg

Good evening everyone! Well, back home now and here are the rest of the photos from the theater which was to be sent this morning... Boxx, thought I saw your compliment on 2ch, but perhaps I DID miss something. Could you repost for me ???[:$]

Thank you [:)]

This photo shows the front left hand side.

post-23544-13819525454868_thumb.jpg

And............the Right hand side... You can really get an idea of the asymetrical cove which adds interest to the ceiling - painted VERY deep 'midnight blue' [:)] The lower ceiling outside the cove is a dark grey...

.....Gary

post-23544-13819525455738_thumb.jpg

Here, the left rear showing the proper speaker config for 6.1 and 7.1 ...

Surrounds mounted on the columns and 'back' surrounds are wall mounted. The rear CENTER was from a tested 6.1 (called rear) that lasted only one movie before the move up to 7.1... It has been removed from the wall, although the 5 matching black boxes in back looked pretty impressive [;)]

NOTE: did you know that Dolby 6.1 is MATRIXED for the rear center? Only DTS ES (6.1) uses the rear center descretely.. I didn't learn that until only a few months ago!! GO DTS !!![:D]

Enjoy.....

Pay no mind to the seating... Just imagine them being the REAL theater rockers in a cloth fabric and matching color with the drink holders, all on a slightly raised and carpeted riser...

post-23544-13819525464138_thumb.jpg

O.M.G

Tigerman - we would all love to have a dedicated room of that size. what you have done with it is simply amazing. well done Yes

there is no doubt, a lot of thought has gone into building this dream HT..

It's dramatic and beautiful, and what is especially impressive is it's not that big a room. But I think the drapes and curtains must really make a huge difference in accoustics. ...

...and I'm close enough to visit and help Gary enjoy it!!!

Hello DU73 ! Thanks so much for your compliments! Yes, I know it is difficult for the average / normal home owner to give up space to do this sort of thing, and generally to create these kind of spaces takes HUGE $$$. However, this theater was built on a very limited budget, yet, carefully designed to have the looks and with basically good, up to date electronics, produce a great image and state of the art 7.1 audio.

I LOVE going in there, especially during an afternoon with the SUN of day blazing through the rest of the house, but this room is sealed from any outside daylight. Its absolutely pitch black in there if there are NO lighting effects on. This is GREAT if you are into critical music listening, as the 'minds eye' will create the sound stage and imaging for you especially when the glow from the electronics displays are hidden from view[:)]

So, yes, it is an intimate space and yes, you are right about its size, as it is only 11'x13' with 8' feet up in the cove total, and the seating is only 9' from the screen (alowing some distance behind the seating for the surrounds to work a bit). This is why a 47" was the planned size for the room, not overpoweringly large, but just right for the distance.

AAAAaaaaaaaaaaand......Thanks so much Steve! You SHOULD plan on a music appreciation day here SOON! Usually, I have my buddies from Rhode Island here or I go to their places for those special days...

You can bring some of your favorite demos and run the K'Horns and Dynaco's through their paces, and then we can walk down the hall to what we have named 'The Longfellow Movie and Music House' .............No popcorn machine yet, the but long hallway leading to it will be the next item to finish up... dimly lighted movie posters, and of course, a lighted DTS Master Audio and Dolby signage [:D]

There are PLENTY of 'under contruction' photos which show much of the project going together! Perhaps some of those could be posted to show a bit of what went into this project.

Take care everyone.............Good Night............

Gary

Hello friends!

Thanks SO MUCH for your very nice comments as always on the theater photos [:)]

Bill H. Yeah, those chairs are really some kind of office / desk chairs I bought for ANOTHER theater I did where I used to live back in the mid 90ies. I took the rear wheels off them so they tilt you back a little. There not too bad really, and of course, they are still like new and the foam is not compressed yet, but, they will do until I can get the real seats. I have found a company that sells them for $400 each in any number of colors, and are made for either pitched or flat floors - commercial quality.

BYW, that previous theater I mentioned was also pretty cool, curtains all around, and they were BLACK! I had a neat thing with rear lighted rice panels that was really pretty attractive. All speakers were hidden, even the rears. But that was a 5.1 system using a DIY 'water heater' sub I built and still own!

I will get an equipment list together for those that are interested, and let me look for those contruction photos also.

Have a good weekend.............more to follow.

............Gary

• Moderators

Hit Reply, then click the Options Tab, then browse to your image and click save. You can only upload one pic per post. If you want to include more than one pic, you need to upload your images to something like Flickr or Photobucket and then link to the image using the Insert/Edit Image (tree icon)

wow, i cant believe it was that easy, lol thanks for the info. i was gonna put a pic up tonight but its still just a work in progress. right now my setup consists of

RF-83 - mains

RC-52 - center

SS1 - side surrounds

RSX-3 - back surrounds

RW-10d - subwoofer

Integra DTR-40.1 - receiver

Panasonic "54 plasma

Sony 400 disc dvd player

Sony PS3

"waiting to arrive" (hopefully on schedule)

RC-64

(2) kw-120

(1) ka-1000

Earthquake cinenova 300wpc

onkyo tx-nr3007 or integra dtr-9.9 (undecided)

Bello avsc-2061e stand

i actually have the RC-64, and the ka-1000 sitting in my bedroom right now, because my stand will not fit it. and im still undecided on new back surrounds, and possibly new sides. i will def post a pic when its all togather (subs come in the 28th, stand is the 1st, and the rest i have no idea when) unless you want to see it now, wich its actually pretty good as it is, lol i have the upgrade bug.

• Moderators

Nothing wrong with posting some before photos, then when you get your new gear setup, post it too.

You are going to love the difference between the RC-52 and the RC-64. I heard an RC-52 paired with the RB-82's and it totally could not keep up with them, much less keep up with the RF-83's.

If it were me, I would go with a pair of bookshelf speakers for the back (RB-81's, RB-35's, RB-75's etc) and either the RS-52 or RS-62 for the sides. That's my plan at least.

• dtel pinned this topic