Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

The peanut gallery. The side and rear effects match my fronts extremely well. Seamless sound transitions during action movie scenes. Roy's V-Bat horns are just amazing on those side effect speakers. I know, overkill for a home theater, but hey, overkill is good when talking speakers.

post-10337-1381960089471_thumb.jpg

post-10337-1381961943668_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Very nice setup Rudy. I'm sure movie time at your house is a blast!

Question....do you use your fans during movies? I once read that adding a ceiling fan in a HT is bad news. It's like putting your sound waves through a hellicopter blade....or something like that. Just curious cause my HT gets really warm unless I crank the AC down to around 74. That side of the house doesn't cool as much as the rest of the rooms. When I close the door, turn on the equipment and add 6 people, it begins to get warm. I could easily add a ceiling fan since I have 10' ceilings but I don't want it to effect the sound.

Our room is as cool as the rest of the house. But, when we watch a movie it gets rather warm due to the various amps and the pj. I never noticed the sound affected by the fans and frankly wish you had never brought that up! [:'(]

Now I have to listen for sound through a helicopter type of sound.

Seriously, I have never had a problem and am very glad we have them. I would not hesitate. Just make sure they are quiet fans.

• Moderators

I never noticed the sound affected by the fans and frankly wish you had never brought that up! [:'(]

My bad. [:P]

My guess is you won't hear a difference with the fans on or off unless they were fairly close to the speakers. Did you ever sing into a box fan? That was the impression that I got that would happen if I added a fan to my room. My main concern would be the center channel speaker. Since I have my RC-64 mounted high and above the screen, a fan "might" affect the sound from it.

I'm probably content to just drop the temp down a few degrees when we watch a movie. The good news is the front center seat (my sweet spot) has the air vent directly above it. [:D]

My bad. Stick out tongue

My guess is you won't hear a difference with the fans on or off unless they were fairly close to the speakers. Did you ever sing into a box fan? That was the impression that I got that would happen if I added a fan to my room. My main concern would be the center channel speaker. Since I have my RC-64 mounted high and above the screen, a fan "might" affect the sound from it.

I'm probably content to just drop the temp down a few degrees when we watch a movie. The good news is the front center seat (my sweet spot) has the air vent directly above it. Big Smile

well in a room with a box fan you usually don't experience that kind of sound unless talking into it. Plus most ceiling fans are much slower in rotation.

Down here in Florida ceiling fans are common in all rooms..never noticed them coloring the sound unless the fan was cheap/bad to begin with.

Love that dog door! lol we have 2 in our room. One at the top of the basement stairs and I in the wall under the stairs leading to the basement! They work great.

What dog door and promedia 2.1? We have dogs, but no dog door.

• Moderators

well in a room with a box fan you usually don't experience that kind of sound unless talking into it.

True, but I was thinking if your center sound was passing under the fan, I didn't know if it would reduce the clarity of the vocals.

Youthman, my fans are right above the seats, not near the front of the theater. They are not really in front of any of the speakers. My side and rear effects seeem to not suffer from any fan issues. I normally don't use the fans unless we are watching a double feature. By the time the second show rolls around, it does warmer than the rest of the house. The ideal situation would be to have my gear in an enclosure that is vented to the attic or something. But, that is much more trouble that it is worth. I had once condisered that, but as much as I mess around with my system i would need one of those systems that rotate to access the back of the gear, and those are too pricey for my taste.

I'm building in an 18X16 room and I feel like I'm on the cusp of needing a second sub. I realize that my RT12d is almost certainly outclassed by one of your JLs. Yet I'm under the impression that my music was not going to benefit to the degree that movies will with a second, JL or something comparable. The RT12ds seem to be scarce especially since I'm not going to pay any thing near MSRP. I'm pretty happy with it even though its in a smaller space and I have no way of placing in an optimal way. In other words I'm not sure what its really capable of. When we get the keys to the new home on the 21st, I'll start experimentation.

My question to you was aimed at your real life impression of how the two JLs affect your music vs movies compared to one sub. If your telling me yes, there is indisputable difference, not on paper, but to your ears, I would find that interesting and compelling. Nic

shake777,

My suggestion would be to test your new homes frequency response with one subwoofer. Other than a few dB gain, the real reason for adding a second subwoofer should be to provide a flatter frequency response over a greater seating area.

It takes a LOT of testing to find the best place for a subwoofer and do it right. Adding a second sub only complicates matters if the first step has not been implemented properly.

IMO, in a room with your dimensions, your efforts/money would be better spent on testing, proper speaker placement, proper seating distances, and acoustic treatments.

• dtel pinned this topic