Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Very clean Carl... and I agree with Boxx..

However, you never mentioned the 'Salamander' audio rack in the equip. listing I installed TWO of these in friend's home theaters... A VERY good unit for $1400+

On your subs.............they would also be considered 'free air' drivers, NOT needing a box to run them safely. Much like an audio system in a car, where the rear deck 'Free Air' subs use the entire trunk as the space with the cars interior to excite Wink (well over 6 cu. ft.)

.............Gary

I knew in my mind what equipment I wanted and what style and shape of cabinet to house them in. After a lot of searching, I just couldn't find anything that would work. I eventually stumbled upon Salamander and could make the exact rack I was looking for. I had some odd requirements. I wanted to be able to mount pro amps, I needed a BIG space for a center channel, I needed storage, and a place to put a big plasms screen. It's very sturdy as the top and bottom are 1" thick.

Free air and IB can be used interchangeably as terms for the set up I have as far as I know. They're both correct.

Carl

not knocking your setup, but I just cant see paying $1400 for a little tv stand more or less. Salamander looks good, but they are way overpriced IMHO. I guess my question is, why didnt you build you one to taste or get someone to build it for you. Would have come out way better in the end.

Built this one at my old house for $300 (wood, paint, custom doors, and handles)

Posted Image

With very limited space and very specific requirements, I have decided to build my own entertainment center for my den. Here is a design:

I would avoid putting your mains inside the cabinet. For a center it's fine usually. For the mains, you are now limited to not only direct radiating speakers, but also very specific sizes as well as a limited separation.

not knocking your setup, but I just cant see paying $1400 for a little tv stand more or less. Salamander looks good, but they are way overpriced IMHO. I guess my question is, why didnt you build you one to taste or get someone to build it for you. Would have come out way better in the end.

Built this one at my old house for $300 (wood, paint, custom doors, and handles)

Not knocking you, but many people have not enough time to do DIY work so pay for a finished product. Salamander is a bit of a premium product, but you know when you buy one you are getting exactly what you are paying for. As I am entering that time of my life that time is hard to come by yet my paychecks come every two weeks; I tend to pay a premium now for things. I have been shopping almost totally online for almost a decade. It really stinks when you get a huge item like this and it's not as described. Even if they reimburse you for shipping, the time it took to unpack, find out the problem...take apart things and then re-pack is something you never get compensated for.

I am really suspicious of how that setup cost only $300 though...looks good, but so do some cars at 20 feet ;). However, IMHO it looks very much like a kitchen to me at first glance...I'd have gone with a more sand-like finish...but that is really subjective to what I like.

It does look like a nice room though..

Not knocking you, but many people have not enough time to do DIY work so pay for a finished product. Salamander is a bit of a premium product, but you know when you buy one you are getting exactly what you are paying for. As I am entering that time of my life that time is hard to come by yet my paychecks come every two weeks; I tend to pay a premium now for things. I have been shopping almost totally online for almost a decade. It really stinks when you get a huge item like this and it's not as described. Even if they reimburse you for shipping, the time it took to unpack, find out the problem...take apart things and then re-pack is something you never get compensated for.

I am really suspicious of how that setup cost only $300 though...looks good, but so do some cars at 20 feet ;). However, IMHO it looks very much like a kitchen to me at first glance...I'd have gone with a more sand-like finish...but that is really subjective to what I like.

This setup was in my old house. My father built it for me to house all my components and center channel. The main reason the stand was built was due to not having a place to put the center channel.

As far it looking like a kitchen, I have no idea what you are talking about. It was made out of MDF, pine stiles, and plywood. Sanded and painted with Behr gloss paint. The doors are custom made out of MDF.

I really dont care what you believe as far as the cost of the total project. Im not really understanding why you posted a comment anyway. Sand like finish? gritty? not real sure what you meant by that either. That IMHO is ugly.

I was in no way trying to insult CCEA with the original comment, was merely trying to show guys here what can be done in a weekend or two and some paint.

Im a firefighter, so I do have more time for some DIY, but if I didnt, I still wouldnt pay the premium price you speak of for manuf. furniture.

I like how you imply that it looks good but only from a distance, I guess everyone in this thread needs to start taking pictures up real real close to satisfy peple like you? lol hilarious.

Please by all means post your setup!

thanks

Ok, lets keep it cool [H] shall we? Yes, it was I who mentioned $1400 because thats what these good units cost these days..

So.....

Here is a Salamander audio rack, part of a brand new, from scratch 7.1 system I ordered up for my neighbors (retired eye surgeons). A 55" Vizio sits on top and fits comfortably... Here, the component doors are OPEN (w/black metal screens - which let IR pass through!).

This model is from a group of high end products from the company, and my neighbors decided to order it with black hardware and dark walnut stain... The top and bottom I think are solid hardwoods. This is one of two I have put together, and they are of high QUALITY hardware and solid wood framed doors and drawer fronts.

They were looking at something from a custom made DANISH furniture shop and it was going to cost $3000 !!! This one was in the $1400 range and they love it...

One more coming up....

post-23544-13819664023938_thumb.jpg

Here it is closed....

I also thought about the $300 system and I could see why the kitchen comment was made... To me also, hat very nice looking audio rack system does look similar to kitchen cabinetry (raised panels and all....), pretty much what I need in my galley [:)] ! (same color too)

Anyway, all in fun, and no offence should be taken sir... [;)]

post-23544-13819664024818_thumb.jpg

This setup was in my old house. My father built it for me to house all my components and center channel. The main reason the stand was built was due to not having a place to put the center channel.

As far it looking like a kitchen, I have no idea what you are talking about. It was made out of MDF, pine stiles, and plywood. Sanded and painted with Behr gloss paint. The doors are custom made out of MDF.

I really dont care what you believe as far as the cost of the total project. Im not really understanding why you posted a comment anyway. Sand like finish? gritty? not real sure what you meant by that either. That IMHO is ugly.

I was in no way trying to insult CCEA with the original comment, was merely trying to show guys here what can be done in a weekend or two and some paint.

Im a firefighter, so I do have more time for some DIY, but if I didnt, I still wouldnt pay the premium price you speak of for manuf. furniture.

I like how you imply that it looks good but only from a distance, I guess everyone in this thread needs to start taking pictures up real real close to satisfy peple like you? lol hilarious.

Please by all means post your setup!

thanks

i, for one, liked your DIY cabinet very much. no matter how tactfully you put opinions, someone is bound to take it personally....warranted or not.

thanks.

Like I said, that setup was in my old house which was had some size constraints. The cabinet was not kitchen cabinets bought from a store. This was made custom for this particular room and setup. I have a completely and totally new setup. This was just to hold me over until my new house was built and my mancave was completed on my particular budget.

Again, sorry if I offended anyone. I have already spoken to the person via pm.

• dtel pinned this topic