Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Tommyboy,

Great looking system. I was curious as to how you keep the pictures on the wall from rattling? Are they velcroed or something?

"heavy duty" double sided tape on EVERYTHING. It was actually my wifes idea believe it or not. And thanks on the compliment.

New to the forum... thought I'd share...

Klipsch RF-7 mains, Klipsch RC-7 center, Klipsch RS-7 surrounds, HSU-VTF3-MK2 sub, Pioneer VSX-74TXVi, Behringer Feedback Destroyer (parametric EQ for my sub), and an HTPC. The Shuguang tube amp was being demoed while I took the pics.

EDIT - Alot of the right sides of my photos were cutoff somehow... maybe because I didn't specify the resolution size.

The originals can be seen here:

www.resitek.com/HomeTheatre/equipment.htm

image001.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image007.jpg

image008.jpg

image010.jpg

image012.jpg

image014.jpg

I'm interested in the posters. Where did you get them? What size are they? What kind of frame is it? Thanks.

I just bought them at my local video store. They have tons of laminated movie posters like that for around $15 each. Every now and then I'll stop by and pickup a new one.

The only reason there are wood floors in my room (which are awful for acoustics) is because I let my Great Dane go outside through the rear door of that room. If there was carpeting it would get dirty pretty fast. So I just put a couple of cheap rugs to help out. Whenever he's not with us anymore I'll be putting wall to wall carpeting in that room and am really looking forward to hearing how much better the room will sound.

Whenever he's not with us anymore I'll be putting wall to wall carpeting in that room and am really looking forward to hearing how much better the room will sound.

Take a look at the thread in the Architectural area where DrWho talks about his engineering open house. I asked him about carpet, he basically said it would have to be ankle-deep before it did much of anything, so don't expect too much.

Great looking room though! SWMBO wants to know where you got your mini popcorn machine.

Whenever he's not with us anymore I'll be putting wall to wall carpeting in that room and am really looking forward to hearing how much better the room will sound.

Take a look at the thread in the Architectural area where DrWho talks about his engineering open house. I asked him about carpet, he basically said it would have to be ankle-deep before it did much of anything, so don't expect too much.

Great looking room though! SWMBO wants to know where you got your mini popcorn machine.

Well, at first I had all wood floors. As soon as I added the area rugs it made quite a big difference as there was much less echo in the room. I can't say I can totally agree with DrWho on this one. My rugs are very thin and I immediately heard a difference. Those wood floors reflected everything. I'm actually considering getting a larger area rug for at least the main listening area.

The popcorn machine was a gift and I'm not sure where it's from. I would suggest going to a store that carrys game room supplies like pool tables, foozeball tables, air hockey, jukeboxes, poker tables, etc. Should be able to find something like that there.

db,

Beautiful, cozy setup..................mighty large Subwoofer you got there!...............WOW......shake,rattle, and roll!

I only use that HSU VTF3-MK2 during movies (for 2 channel audio I set my mains to large) and, I gotta say, that sucker moves the couch!

As usual, Dr. Who is right. Unless you have a 70's home with 4" shag, carpet really does not have the absorbative profile to have much influence.

As usual, Dr. Who is right. Unless you have a 70's home with 4" shag, carpet really does not have the absorbative profile to have much influence.

I'm a professional musician aside from being a computer consultant. My band once played in a school gymnasium and the sound was outright awful. There was so much echo throughout the gym it was virtually impossible for the people to dance to the music because the drums were bouncing all over the place. We had to play there a week later and the school principal said that he would arrange to have the entire gym floor covered in carpeting to help. The difference was night and day, literally. The carpeting was a typical industrial floor carpeting that you see in office buildings. I heard it for myself and everyone in the gym agreed that there was less than half the echo that there was the previous week. It was literally the only thing that changed in the gym that could have affected acoustics (that and everyone who attended were forced to wear wool sweaters [:P])

Dbossa is right on in my opinion. Carpet made a huge difference in my room. Absolute night and day. I will have to search the forum for DrWho's analysis, as I cannot figure how a carpet could NOT affect a room's acoustics, regardless of thickness. I do not claim any sort of knowledge on this matter, but there was a giant difference in my case, and my carpet is probably less than 4 inches thick (if not less).

Dbossa is right on in my opinion. Carpet
made a huge difference in my room. Absolute night and day. I will have
to search the forum for DrWho's analysis, as I cannot figure how a
carpet could NOT affect a room's acoustics, regardless of
thickness. I do not claim any sort of knowledge on this matter,
but there was a giant difference in my case, and my carpet is probably
less than 4 inches thick (if not less).

When it comes to acoustic treatment... you cannot leave out which
frequency range is being targeted. In general... the thicker the
"treatment"... the lower the frequency cutoff that will be attenuated.

So in that sense, carpet (and pad) will reduce higher frequency
reflections... but little more. The cutoff will depend on the thickness of
the carpet and pad mainly... and to a lesser degree, the
material. Unfortunately, most rooms would benefit from some bass
treatments, but this becomes difficult due to the required
thickness of the material (we are talking feet and not inches)

I haven't read mike's (DrWho) comments, but I'm sure they were made in
reference to treating a certain acoustical problem or frequency range.

ROb

• 2 weeks later...

For those with somewhat large TVs (Plasma, LCD, DLP) with amps, multiple subs, etc, how many circuits (and amp ratings) are you running to power your gear?

I use two dedicated circuits. One just for the subwoofer (reduces the chances of ground loops, as well) and another for the AV receiver, projector, sat receiver, CD Player, and DVD player.

Dbossa is right on in my opinion. Carpet made a huge difference in my room. Absolute night and day. I will have to search the forum for DrWho's analysis, as I cannot figure how a carpet could NOT affect a room's acoustics, regardless of thickness. I do not claim any sort of knowledge on this matter, but there was a giant difference in my case, and my carpet is probably less than 4 inches thick (if not less).

When it comes to acoustic treatment... you cannot leave out which frequency range is being targeted. In general... the thicker the "treatment"... the lower the frequency cutoff that will be attenuated.

So in that sense, carpet (and pad) will reduce higher frequency reflections... but little more. The cutoff will depend on the thickness of the carpet and pad mainly... and to a lesser degree, the material. Unfortunately, most rooms would benefit from some bass treatments, but this becomes difficult due to the required thickness of the material (we are talking feet and not inches)

I haven't read mike's (DrWho) comments, but I'm sure they were made in reference to treating a certain acoustical problem or frequency range.

ROb

There is a math formula that I used to remember but the bottom line is, the frequencies being attenuated with most carpets are frequencies around 30KHz, which for all practical purposes, does us no good.

It actually is more in the audible range than that (but forget bass)....

I don't have a formula, but based on basic principales we know

that wavelength of sound is the distance sound travels in one full

cycle (frequency in Hz) ... so using the speed of sound...

Frequency = (speed of sound) / (wavelength)

And, if I'm not mistaken, the limiting frequency will be that which the

sound will travel through the material, hit the rigid backer, bounce

back, and retravel through the material again... or in other words,

twice the thickness of the material. So a 1" carpet and pad

(25mm) would produce:

F= (331.2m/s)/(0.05m) = 6624Hz

ROb

• dtel pinned this topic