Rumor has it....I will be "out-of-pocket" for awhile

HDBRbuilder

I just got orders cross-leveling me to another Army Reserve unit that is scheduled to deploy "somewhere" in the very near future. Beginning Thursday of this week, I will be hanging out in Florida doing hurricane clean-up until about two weeks or so before my mobilization date, whereupon I will return home to finish packing up my stuff and putting it into storage for my deployment to "somewhere".

One of the forum members has graciously responded to my request to store my electronic equipment at his climate-controlled place until my return from "somewhere". The rest of my stuff will be stored locally here in Fort Smith, AR. I would like to thank him publicly on this forum, beforehand, so thanks, BEC (Bob Crites)!

Rumor has it that my mobilization date will be "sometime" in October, and my mobilization station will be "somewhere" in Texas. I was told that I should receive my mobilization orders around the end of this month. The unit is already on alert.

Am I worried? NO! I am a volunteer, and have been since 1972! Will I be in danger? Who knows? Certainly not me! Needless to say, I have been in danger for most of my military career, in one form or another...generally because of, at a minimum, my tendency to jump out of perfectly good airplanes at a moment's notice and to carry a rucksack on my back and a rifle in my hands (although I PREFER an M-60 machine gun to a rifle ANY day, because I am simply VERY GOOD with one of those rock-n-roll devices!).

This time around, though, my primary weapon will likely be a computer...and those of you who have been here for awhile know that I can do lots of damage with one of those, too! My current NEW Primary MOS is 42A (personnel services sergeant), although I do hold an 11B (Infantry) secondary and 11C (mortars)additional MOS. This means that I will LIKELY be helping out "somewhere" by keeping soldiers' records straight, solving their pay problems, generating awards for them, editing their evaluation reports, and other such necessary paperwork stuff.

Will this mean that I am NOT in danger? Let's just say that I will NOT be taking my body armor off very often, OK? I am still trying to determine how to effectively take a shower with it on! I already know I can sleep with it on, though!

SO, all of you folks who have been asking me stuff for the last two or so years may have to be answering those questions for me for a year or so, beginning "sometime" in October.

Before I actually leave for "somewhere", I will be getting myself a laptop computer to replace the one that squatted on me a year or so ago. So, I MAY be able to keep in forum contact, but I can't guarantee anything.

When I finally find out what my APO address will be in "somewhere", I will do my best to post it here on the forum...that way Cluless will know where to send "goodies" to me. 2.gif

SO, there it is in a nutshell. The way I see it, I am getting another patch I have to pay to have sewn on my uniform out of this deal, and maybe some more "government fruit salad" I have to buy in the PX for my dress uniform, while doing whatever I can to help out the younger soldiers who will likely be taking the brunt of the "experience" over in "somewhere".

I hope that I see Klipsch over there, prominently displayed at one of the locations where those USO kinda concert things happen. If Klipsch hasn't already figured out that thousands of soldiers gathered for R&R in Kuwait or elsewhere, who are listening to a singer on stage, whose music is being blasted througn an MCM system on that stage with "KLIPSCH" prominently displayed on that system...is a worthwhile advertising medium, then the marketing folks are beyond help, IMHO! Just think!!...one DONATED big-arsed complete concert stage Klipsch MCM system for stage use at those concerts...being regularly used to entertain the troops...hundreds of thousands of troops over a couple of years' time! Now...THAT's ADVERTISING!! Can't you just see the website homepage picture? Thousands of troops listening to a concert with KLIPSCH on the stage?? Can't you just see thousands of troops buying Klipsch? A word to the wise...DON'T LET THIS OPPORTUNITY PASS YOU BY!!

At mobilization stations stateside, the mobilized units' soldiers have places to go to relax. In those places, normally old dining facilities no longer in use for that purpose, they have dining rooms filled with computers so that the soldiers can get online and check their email and do other online things. In other dining rooms they have large screen televisions for entertainment purposes (for watching TV or watching DVD's or BOTH)...televisions that COULD have surround sound systems added to them...KLIPSCH surround sound systems!! But, instead, there are NONE added to them. Thousands of troops will pass through these facilities over the next few years, and SOMEBODY is missing out on one helluva lot of advertising here...somebody named KLIPSCH! They also have these recreation centers in Iraq and in Kuwait!...Hint, Hint!

ONE MORE TIME...if the soldiers have a chance to HEAR them, they will BUY them!

Well, that's not good news HDBRbuilder. But my thoughts will go with you and your unit, where ever you and they may go in Texas. Rest assured HDBRbuilder, I think the military are doing a fantastic job, no matter what job they do. I hope your laptop will be able to access the forum and if you get a chance, you will be able to post. Keep your chin up and look for Klipsch where ever you go. From a person also in uniform, but not military, good luck, buddy! 1.gif

Andy, wow, I live in the dark ages or something, I've been on this board for over 2 years now and I didn't even know you were in the reserves.

I'd like to thank you for serving this country. Thank you Andy. It's a huge sacrafice that most people don't understand unless they have served. Being someone who has served himself, I do understand.

Good luck to you Andy!

Hey Andy,

Be sure to post your e-mail address, too. We can send you e-mail goodies. It's good to know a good man is going "somewhere". Make your own luck. I'll pray for your safety.

Don't be embarrassed to ask for shampoo or Jergens, or whatever you can't get "somewhere". There are lots of us wanting something to do and no idea how to get it to "somewhere".

Andy..-..Anyone...is this legit?

http://www.anysoldier.us/index.cfm

With thoughts of Andy going off, I worry.

I think of things that we take for granted....soap, deodorant, music..

Blacky and Stripe have started to put together a couple of boxes, but since their allowance is rather meager, they don't want their efforts to be misdirected.

Less is totally useless (again) here...all she can do is come up with those that want "Labtops", "Xboxes" and color TVs...she's a pure cynic/psycho/rather fun chick...

Cluless, I read about that in Soldiers magazine about a year ago. It is legit. Where I will end up, I think I will be able to get most of what I need, but who knows? It is the soldiers and Marines in the out of the way places who really suffer for just basic comfort items like deodorant and such, unless they have somebody sending it to them. When I was a paratrooper, we called deodorant "shower in a can"...you can imagine why!

What that webpage said about the 173rd Airborne is true. They are paratroopers who were stuck way up in northern Iraq for months with basically nothing but what they had in their rucksacks or got in the mail from home. That is the way it is for paratroops, though!

I was on jump status in Airborne infantry units for 6 years of my military career. Although we always had a shelter half issued to us, I can NOT remember ever putting up a tent a single time in the field! We just rolled out the shelter half and slept on top of it, using it as a ground cloth...that is WHENEVER we had time to do so!...which wasn't often. Normally we just sat back into our rucksack frames and snoozed after changing one of our socks on one of our feet, doing the same for the other foot the next time we stopped and had enough time to do so.

The most important things to a paratrooper infantryman are having enough ammo and water, first...second is having plenty of socks and foot powder, because he will be using them alot...NOTHING...I MEAN NOTHING!!...feels as good to a paratrooper in the field as much as putting a clean dry pair of socks on his weary feet! Trust me on this! Food?...food is the third most important thing. It is nice to have, but a paratrooper can survive with little of it...SLEEP is much more important than FOOD!

Airborne infantry soldiers learn to sleep whenever they get a chance, wherever they happen to be, on whatever they can find to stretch out on, using whatever they have or can find to keep warm, while still maintaining security for each other. They work hard, and party hard! That is how they live! That is why they are the elite! Everything they have is carried on their backs...wherever they go! If they don't jump in with it, it just isn't with them! The best they can hope for is food, water, and ammunition re-supply. Otherwise, if it isn't on their backs, they don't and WON'T have it until they get home! It is a tough life, but they ARE tough, or they don't last long!

They are NOT the only ones out in the middle of nowhere, though. There are numerous outposts of soldiers and Marines all over Iraq and Afghanistan...with little more than what they took with them or what they get from home in the mail, or what they can get ahold of when/if they get a chance to get somewhere to buy it. SO....those packages like Anysoldier sends are a welcome relief for them...especially for those soldiers who just don't really have anybody back home to help them out in this manner...and there are LOTS of soldiers in that category! I would imagine that around half of the soldiers get little mail, if any at all, much less any kind of package of goodies or what we take for granted as "life's necessities" from home. So they do without, or their buddies take care of them by sharing what little they receive in the mail. That is how it is...it is shameful, but a fact of military life!

Thanks Cluless...like I said, I will probably be ok for the most part when it comes to getting what I need...where I am gonna be. But, if I need something, I will holler.

There are lots of soldiers who will be having it much rougher that I will be having it, though. So, those of you who REALLY want to do something for them...the young soldiers who are far from home...just DO IT! You will be surprised at how much it means to them to just get something...ANYTHING...in the mail from "home"!