New K-horns...Help me get over the edge

rmaustin

A considerable number of us Klipschorn owners bought used as we found very good buys within our budgets. Used costs are also a plus in getting a significant others approval. As a single homeowner, the cost for new was not an option for me.

If you have the dollars for new, then go for it! Do try to get with a local forum member to have a listen to new or old, if possible.

Wish you the best.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur with DeanG. One of the Khorn pairs I bought from a guy in MD was a 2002 model with some surface marks on one of the speakers. I bought the pair for $3500 with the flaws thinking it was going to be a good deal. It took $1200 to properly crate/pack and ship via ShipSmart (another story...) from MD to Seattle and then had to pay another $850 to get them refinished professionally. So I sunk in $5,550 ... and didn't even get the new Khorn smell...

Ki

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are probably some homeless Optimus Speakers begging for wattage, cables and re-foaming.

who wrote that?

I DIDN'T - He should do 2 things:

BUY THEM - call and see if there will be any changes to 2005 TREY, STEVE, AMY, YOUNGER UNGER? Can you answer him by PM?

Sell the McIntosh. 40 Watts Tubed in my MC-240s is PLENTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

really?

YES, REMEMBER FOGHAT LIVE?

yeah - Crystal Gayle and Jill Hennesy too...

GET A MOP, YOU'RE DROOLING

okay, but I heard all that on LaScalas and now Cornwalls

YEAH STUPID - THAT'S WHY WE'RE SAYING BUY THEM BUY THEM BUY THEM

what about the amp?

WHATEVER HE WANTS, THAT WILL HELP PAY FOR THEM AND ALSO BUY HIS WIFE A DOZEN ROSES..

oh, follow most of the recommendations. should he post pictures too? don't look at me like that, yeah he should.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT 42 IS STILL YOUNG.

okay, do we need to take our meds now?

WHAT DO YOU THINK????????

dodger and ???????????

3.gif

Get them then post pictures so I can drool over two things; one I passed up the chance to buy them new in the NEX at Yokosuka in 1985 for about $1900 and two because I still want them really bad. So for all of us lusting after these truly monumental pillars of the loudspeaker community, buy them. You will never replace them nor will you want to. This will be a lifetime purchase. I too am 42 and they are just not in the mix yet, but they will be one day. So enough of this madness and dawdling buy them!

Seems to me a speaker that "sounds good" with high 200plus watts or low 8 or 10 watts could be an extremely flexible speaker to work with in the future. Maybe later on down the road a guy could experiment with different amps and have some fun instead of being tied to either a high or low powered amp.

I honestly have never heard them but have read many good things about them.

3.gif ........Enjoy!.....Pat

Thanks so much to all the great advice from all of you klipsch warriors.I pulled the trigger today and ordered a brand spankin new set of light oak finish K-Horns.Taken delivery sometime in October.Now all I have to do is somehow break the news to my better half and justify why our hard earned savings account is going to take a hit in the next month or so.She has understood for some time that I wanted a pair of these so hopefully the news want hit her to hard.This is my hobby and passion,besides working and taking care and spending time with the family unit Im not involved in much of anything else.Also,unlike alot of hobbies,im always at home.The bottom line is she will have to understand.WHATEVER,Im looking so forward to the arrival of these babies and to enter into the K-HORN perfect sound of music realm.I will post snap shots after they arrive and let everyone enjoy with me.Klipsch and McIntosh...Marriage made in Heaven.

----------------

On 8/31/2004 8:17:26 PM rmaustin wrote:

Thanks so much to all the great advice from all of you klipsch warriors.I pulled the trigger today and ordered a brand spankin new set of light oak finish K-Horns.Taken delivery sometime in October.

----------------

Congratulations, rmaustin. What a man! Hey as soon as they arrive you MUST post pics. I'm really interested in seeing the light oak finish. I'm considering either a medium oak or walnut finish for my new pair which I will order around November. But I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise on the finish.

You don't have to justify your purchase with us! One of the few items I DIDN'T bring in the house without my wife knowing in advance were the khorns.

Good luck. You may need it!11.gif

And BTW - We've all used the "at least this hobby keeps me in the house" line.9.gif

Those light oak khorns are real beauts. Congrats.

RmAustin,

I used the line about how all the family can enjoy the music coming out of my very first pair of Khorns.

Then I got the second pair telling my wife that I had to get them since I had planned on selling the first pair all along..

I did get the first pair out of my house but ended up trading them for a pair of Klipsch Belles with a forum member in town...

The third pair was harder to justify but I over came it by telling my wife that all the boys in this FORUM had at least two pairs...

Then I had to get the fourth pair mentioned above...by this time I made up my mind to get them first and worry about the consequences. Basically I decided to beg for forgivness than to ask for permission... I am still living and married to tell you about this.

Oh, I forgot about the single Khorn that showed up at my door step somewhere in between second and the third pairs... and then these pesky Heresys...

I am happy for you. Hope you do enjoy the Khorns and your wife is as understanding as mine... so far...

Ki

----------------

On 8/31/2004 10:23:26 PM Ki Choi wrote:

...my very first pair of Khorns... Then I got the second pair... I did get the first pair out of my house but ended up trading them for a pair of Klipsch Belles... The third pair was harder to justify... Then I had to get the fourth pair mentioned above... Oh, I forgot about the single Khorn that showed up at my door step somewhere in between second and the third pairs... and then these pesky Heresys...

I am still living and married to tell you about this.

----------------

Have you seen the movie 'Ghost', Ki? You can't be in the land of the living. No way! You must be communicating from another place. If you are still flesh and blood, you are a legend!!!!